Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #1

my 87 Allegro has a aluminium roof. I have eternabond taped all seams and used dyco 20/20 sealent around odd shapes such as waste tank vents. as of now I am leak free. but I was thinking of coating the roof with kool seal. my only concern is undoing my work if it isn't compatable with the koolseal. What do you all think? Wils

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #2

my 87 Allegro has a aluminium roof. I have eternabond taped all seams and used dyco 20/20 sealent around odd shapes such as waste tank vents. as of now I am leak free. but I was thinking of coating the roof with kool seal. my only concern is undoing my work if it isn't compatable with the koolseal. What do you all think? Wils

Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #3

Cool seal and Snow Roof systems are make by the same company.Bring them up with a search on the net and give them a call.I found then to be very supportive.I don't think you would have a problem,but let them confirm it.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would do like fleamarketer said but having used them before They worked really well but if there was any mickey mousing around with that roof it will not hold as i found out the hard way!! I had a skylight that was held down with pop rivets and no framing at all!! I wondered why i couldn't keep the roof from leaking. Found out the hard way but that was this one's biggest issue. Not all will have that kind of issue. If, i had found that back around say ten years ago, I would have fixed it right the first time!!
Our roof had never been coated before and it was..18 years old then.Now at 28 it has a new roof and now,...They have to fix it again as they screwed up!! I have come to the conclusion that the roofs are the worst issue with these rv's!! My roof was aluminum and is now rubber edpm.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Eternabond says you can caulk over over their stuff, so I can't see why you couldn't snowroof over it. I've used Dicor on my roof and snow roofed over it with good results.

The secret is in the thickness. When I redid my cabover roof vent, I used a whole tube of dicor just to seal the screws and the edge, then ladled the snow roof on with an old plastic cup and used the paint brush to spread it evenly. I then embededed polyester seam tape into the snowroof and coated over it several times.

Roof hasn't leaked since.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Joe, Glad to see ya back here!! Hope you had a great summer!! Later,Dan
Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #7

like I said it has not leaked on me yet and I don't think it will. knock on wood. plus I ust got my tail pipes delivered today so now its muffler shopping!
wils
Old 10-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wallaby Dan:
Hi Joe, Glad to see ya back here!! Hope you had a great summer!! Later,Dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty good summer, been fulltiming in the camper since the beginning of June, given me lots of excuses to add improvements to the camper.

Getting ready to retire the old Mobil Temp water heater in favor of a new Suburban Propane 6 Gallon gas unit.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Glad ya had a great summer!! I am looking foward to next year!! See ya around, Dan
Old 10-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
wils, Did you price Flow masters?? i have 40 Series and no issues. I added the tailpipe resonators but don't think i really needed them. Good luck and let us know what ya found!, Dan
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #11

Dan, I didn't get anything yet. am leaning towards the flowmasters of dynamax hd super turbos. I have to do some measuring the super turbos might be to long kind of hope I can stuff flowmasters in there its pretty tight and I have a short wheel base of 133 inches
Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
On mine I could get both in and the tailpipes came out forward of the rear axle. Mine is a longer wheelbase but still did it that way! The Mufflers are at about 45 degree angle to fit into the frame but still a close fit! They are about 2 foot long and about a foot wide. about 4-5 inches thick. At an angle they fit like they were made for it!! Custom fitted with the tailpipe coming out the bottom and the inlet coming in the top! like it was made to fit!! Nice and quiet, The tail pipe resonators was made out of Stainless steel and as they turned out not really needed as the exhaust was really quiet with out them but they look great anyway!! they were 4" and about a foot long. Good luck and tell us what you ended up with!! Dan
Old 10-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #13

I just do not have the room to exit before the wheels. I have new stock tail pipes in my basement for it
Old 10-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
What sized pipe did they give you?? If under 2 1/2" its really too small. Are you keeping the stock air cleaner?