Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #1

Aluminum radiator

I have a 94 Fleetwood sOuthwind p30 chassis 454 it had been running a little warm so I removed the radiator to have it recored. Trouble is I can't find anyone to recore an aluminum radiator. It isn't in bad shape just a little dirty Anyone have any suggestions? Not sure whether to have cleaned by a shop and put it back in or what to do thanks
olyaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know about the recore, but if you want to clean it out good and go back with a Edelbrock high capacity aluminum water pump and a high flow thermostat, I always had excellent results with that combination. The high flow thermostats open around the outside and flow 70% more water.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyaller View Post
I have a 94 Fleetwood sOuthwind p30 chassis 454 it had been running a little warm so I removed the radiator to have it recored. Trouble is I can't find anyone to recore an aluminum radiator. It isn't in bad shape just a little dirty Anyone have any suggestions? Not sure whether to have cleaned by a shop and put it back in or what to do thanks
I would like to follow this thread. 1982 PA 454 and a small leak in the Radiator. Ours runs at a safe temp. Does the Aluminum run cooler? I talked to one guy on this site that said he was going to have his re-cored but 3 inches thick instead of 2. Does yours have a fan in-front of it? I am thinking about doing that also.
Thanks, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I would like to follow this thread. 1982 PA 454 and a small leak in the Radiator. Ours runs at a safe temp. Does the Aluminum run cooler? I talked to one guy on this site that said he was going to have his re-cored but 3 inches thick instead of 2. Does yours have a fan in-front of it? I am thinking about doing that also.
Thanks, Tim
The plan was to have radiator recored with 5/8 tubes until we found out it was aluminum mine does have an electric fan on ac condenser. The radiator shop says radiator not quite big enough for the motorhome from the get go .
Old 04-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
The plan was to have radiator recored with 5/8 tubes until we found out it was aluminum mine does have an electric fan on ac condenser. The radiator shop says radiator not quite big enough for the motorhome from the get go .
Here's my requoted story
It's a denial thing. I did it for many years. Tried this, did that. No matter what I did it didn't make a d@@m bit of difference. When I decided to pull mine I took it to a shop that rebuilt truck radiators. First thing the guy pointed out that the fins had broken away from the tubes. The second thing he commented on was it looked like a car radiator sized up to fit in the motorhome. I had 3/8" tubes and a 4 row radiator. They kept it 4 row but sized up the tubes to 5/8". The inside was totally coated in white. He told me to use any radiator fluid except the stuff that starts with a P. He said it seems like the heavily coated one used that stuff. It was the best $500 bucks I spent. Now with the 180* stat that's where it runs. I had this done about 6 years ago. As far as the electric fans go, ( I have 2 ) they do little for cooling once on the road. They're there for cooling when idling or when stuck in traffic. I did put an over ride switch in but it's more for a feel good effect.
I pulled the radiator myself. It took a better part of a day to pull it. It took about 6 hours to put everything back. It was money well spent.
Now if the radiator is physically small, can an extra row or 2 be added to aid in cooling? Also One thing I did that seemed to help the most before I re-cored the radiator was to air damn the area in front of the grill. Meaning any air coming through the grill has NOWHERE to go except through the radiator. I plugged up all areas that air could go around,down or past. So now the air has to go through the radiator. My GM gauge always ran in in the midrange. Now the needle only goes up a 1/4 of the way.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine always runs around the 1/4 to 1/2 way up the thermo gauge some times it leaks and sometimes it don't. If with the Toad or not.The last drive we went on about 60 miles got home and no leaks. I checked and the coolant was where it's suppose to be.
We pressure tested it and the gauge did move just a hair but that took almost 1/2 hour.
I hate to waste $500+ for nothing. I could use the extra monies for new shocks or new rubber.
Not sure which way to go.
Tim
Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #7

I have no problem dropping 500 for the recore but I haven't found anyone that will recore an aluminum radiator
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I have no problem dropping 500 for the recore but I haven't found anyone that will recore an aluminum radiator
I checked out Summit Racing site this am and they have several aluminum radiators in there catalog, + steel/brass, plastic
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the radiator replaced (no shops to re-core around me) and while there at it w/pump and all belts and hoses, few less things to worry about.
Tim
Old 05-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #9

Just an update. I had the radiator shop rod out the radiator and they said it was in great shape. Reinstalled radiator put a remote oil cooler on and left a.c. condenser off took for a ride and seemed to run much cooler. About 3 hours to remove and 4 to put back . Thanks for the help
Old 05-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Glad you got her done and your right not to many shops that repair them any more. Same thing getting a alternator or a gennie rewired. Such a throw away Society.
Mine hasn't leaked since that one time, so I am going with tires as my next big purchase.
Happy Travels, Tim

Tags
radiator