Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #1

Hi gang, I'm new here. As a kid growing up and into my 20s my family and then I owned a very cool motorhome that was only built for a short time in the early 70s. It was called the Amigo. Manufactured by Amigo Industries in CA. It was pretty ahead of it's time and their marketing stunk so they went out of motorhomes and into city busses from what I understand. ANYWAY >> I have searched the net and cant find ANYTHING about the Amigo. I would LOVE to know if there's somebody out there that had one or knows of the brand. They were a class A 28 footer. I have some pics someplace of our old one. I wish I never had sold it. :-( CAN ANYBODY HELP? thanks! Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #2

Hi gang, I'm new here. As a kid growing up and into my 20s my family and then I owned a very cool motorhome that was only built for a short time in the early 70s. It was called the Amigo. Manufactured by Amigo Industries in CA. It was pretty ahead of it's time and their marketing stunk so they went out of motorhomes and into city busses from what I understand. ANYWAY >> I have searched the net and cant find ANYTHING about the Amigo. I would LOVE to know if there's somebody out there that had one or knows of the brand. They were a class A 28 footer. I have some pics someplace of our old one. I wish I never had sold it. :-( CAN ANYBODY HELP? thanks! Mike

Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #3

Just wanted to post since your thread was the only one that popped up when I searched for Amigo. I have one as well and was wondering if you had found any info on it. I have a few issues with it, such as a leaky water reservoir pump and it would be great to find something that would help fix it. Other than that it is in mint condition and perfect running order. I actually live in it right now. If you find any info, I would love to know more.

Good Luck in your searches!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome both "amigo" and "nathanfox83" to irv2
I will place this also in new member forum maybe some old timers might have a answer for you.
MEANWHILE ENJOY THE FORUMS AND POST OFTEN TO GET YOUR CAMPFIRES LIT.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #5

Thanks!

Yep, she's an oldie... But my god was I surprised when I stepped on the accelerator. She gives my Chevy Silverado V8 a run for it's money! What do these things have, like 440cid or something. Amazing vehicle, and to think it was made in 74! Probably giving Camaros and Mustangs an eye opening on the interstate
Old 12-12-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Amigo and Nathanfox83, welcome to irv2. We are glad to have you both join us here. We look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. If the coach was built on a Dodge chassis a 440 industrial 3 engine is what they used to power the coach. It was a very good and powerful motor for it day and even today ain't bad. Good luck to you both and enjoy!
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #7

Thanks guys for the response. I am sorry it's taken almost a year for me to respond but I lost my log in information and well, I have been pretty busy. I'd love to know more about your Amigos. I sure wish I still had mine. If you ever see any used Amigos, please let me know. My email is sneaksagain@yahoo.com.

Oh, my Amigo was a special built unit. My Uncle was part owner of the company and also was a big wig at Chrysler. He had a Dodge 413 Truck engine installed in mine. WOW, that thing would throw you right back in your seat! I'd love to hear from you guys! THANKS
Old 08-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #8

A belated welcome to iRV2, Amigo. I hope that just because you misplaced your log-in information hopefully you still took advantage of the great forums here.
If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
A belated welcome to ya fellow! Hope you have good luck finding another Amigo Motorhome! I don't know what I would get if Something ever happened to ours. There are a lot of older homes out here in Arizona butI can't say if they are worth the work or not! Just have to look at them one at a time and make a guess from that. Thats how we found this one. I think we had four or five that were dwindled down to the one we have! Its a personal thing they are! Good luck and welcome to the forum, Capt.Dan
p.s. Yes I live here!!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #10

Howdy everyone, just wanted to say that the Amigo was a nice comfortable motorhome. My husband, two year old son and I traveled from Tacoma, WA to Puebla, Mexico and lived in ours for eight months. Ours had the Ford chassis and the 318 Dodge motor. Weird. When we came back, we sold it to one of my brothers and another brother ended up living in it for awhile. Just couldn't kill the thing. It's been years now and I've yet to see another one around these parts.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:55 AM   #11

Hey, thanks for the posts about the Amigo. I am still on the search for a good used one if anybody sees one around. I am on the east coast here. A very nice guy from the west coast sent me pics of one he has for sale if anybody is interested.

For me, I'd also prefer the Dodge Chassis but it's not a requirement. Also, if anybody finds any pics of their old Amigos, I'd love to see them.

Thanks ALL
Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #12

I have a 1972 Dodge Amigo for sale it needs a lot of work. Brake problems so it sits in storage
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amigo:
Hey, thanks for the posts about the Amigo. I am still on the search for a good used one if anybody sees one around. I am on the east coast here. A very nice guy from the west coast sent me pics of one he has for sale if anybody is interested.

For me, I'd also prefer the Dodge Chassis but it's not a requirement. Also, if anybody finds any pics of their old Amigos, I'd love to see them.

Thanks ALL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #13

Any info on fixing brakes?? Or Finding parts??
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nathanfox83:
Just wanted to post since your thread was the only one that popped up when I searched for Amigo. I have one as well and was wondering if you had found any info on it. I have a few issues with it, such as a leaky water reservoir pump and it would be great to find something that would help fix it. Other than that it is in mint condition and perfect running order. I actually live in it right now. If you find any info, I would love to know more.

Good Luck in your searches! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #14

I have one 1972 and it is for sale. It Needs TLC or a restoration job on Trans and brakes.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amigo:
Hi gang, I'm new here. As a kid growing up and into my 20s my family and then I owned a very cool motorhome that was only built for a short time in the early 70s. It was called the Amigo. Manufactured by Amigo Industries in CA. It was pretty ahead of it's time and their marketing stunk so they went out of motorhomes and into city busses from what I understand. ANYWAY &gt;&gt; I have searched the net and cant find ANYTHING about the Amigo. I would LOVE to know if there's somebody out there that had one or knows of the brand. They were a class A 28 footer. I have some pics someplace of our old one. I wish I never had sold it. :-( CAN ANYBODY HELP? thanks! Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>