Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

Ancient RV

I just purchased a1988 Executive/ Prestige 36' Diesel pusher that's in great condition with one exception, the person who had it before me drove off and forgot to release the park brake. It caused a fire that burnt out the black water holding tank and a number of wires. I've been a mechanic all my life and could trace color coded wires for hours or just maybe somebody out there may have access to info on how to aquire some manuals relating to a coach this old. I got a bunch of paperwork with the coach but wiring info was not some of it. could anybody out there help??? It would greatfully appreciated. thanks in advance
Ronald J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!
and
good luck on that one!
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV 2. I'll move this to Vintage section for you.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #4

I would make myself comfortable with the idea you'll be tracing a lot of wiring. I've done a few similar, and though the job looks terrible, it's really not that bad as long as the wires are still intact? You just replace them one wire at a time. Cut the first wire at one end and carefully separate it from the harness to the point you get to insulation that's serviceable and make your second splice there. Repeat for each of the burnt wires in the harness. You can replace an 8' section of wire as big as your wrist easily in a day? Just don't try doing more than one wire at a time and you'll be fine. -Al
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
1988 Executive Prestige

You have probably already done your rewiring by now BUT I have also just purchased a 1988 36' Executive Prestige Diesel Pusher Wide Body. Mine has 3 large binders full of manuals & information but not sure if what you need is in there, I will look tomorrow and let you know.

BTW I Love my new home on wheels, they might be old/vintage but they were built to last, this one sure has with only a few issues.

My biggest issue has been with my Onan Emperial III 6.3 LP Generator, I need the Regulator Part # 148-1067 and they are very expensive IF you can find one, so trying to locate a used one or won't be dry camping for a while!

Happy Travels
Old 09-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Mine's an '89 Gulf Stream

Just found your post, and thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. I've run into brick walls when it comes to finding out anything about the construction of my old RV. The factory told me they threw away any and all records, plans, etc. pertaining to how it was built, and I can't get any wiring diagrams, construction plans, or anything of the sort to help figure mine out, so I would imagine you will probably have to do it the hard way, as I have so far, unless the builders kept their records and are willing to send you copies. Good luck, & I hope it works out well for you.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald J View Post
I just purchased a1988 Executive/ Prestige 36' Diesel pusher that's in great condition with one exception, the person who had it before me drove off and forgot to release the park brake. It caused a fire that burnt out the black water holding tank and a number of wires. I've been a mechanic all my life and could trace color coded wires for hours or just maybe somebody out there may have access to info on how to aquire some manuals relating to a coach this old. I got a bunch of paperwork with the coach but wiring info was not some of it. could anybody out there help??? It would greatfully appreciated. thanks in advance
Ronald, I have looked through all 3 notebooks of manuals and no wiring diagrams, sorry I couldn't help you with that, but if you will let me know what manuals you have I will be happy to email you a copy of any others I have.

BTW do you happen to have an Onan LP Emperial III Generator in your coach? if you do could you take a picture and possibly find a part number on it. I am still trying to find the right part, ordered one from Onan and they even shipped the wrong part, we found out after 2 weeks looking for a different problem.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Irish View Post
Just found your post, and thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. I've run into brick walls when it comes to finding out anything about the construction of my old RV. The factory told me they threw away any and all records, plans, etc. pertaining to how it was built, and I can't get any wiring diagrams, construction plans, or anything of the sort to help figure mine out, so I would imagine you will probably have to do it the hard way, as I have so far, unless the builders kept their records and are willing to send you copies. Good luck, & I hope it works out well for you.

I too found that is is a common practice.

After 3 e-mails to Coachman, who bought Groegie Boy,
I was told that they have nothing except the Manual
(which I have).
No construction details, no wiring information , nothing.

Luckily most all manufacturers use off the shelf items in most areas so those items can usually
be traced that way.