Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

And the battle continues.......

Not knowing about the plumbing, since I didn't think it had been winterized after the last owner became ill, I've been dreading turning the water on. But being close to ready for our first run I decided today was water day. Hooked up hose, turned it on, and water starts pouring out of the water tank compartment. My son crawled under, opened the access panel & found a line had blown loose, and that a half-tank of water had been left in the storage tank. He repaired the line, we turned the hose back on, and we have water onboard.....we thought! Kitchen sink faucet leaks around the spigot, shower faucet leaks at knob, but even worse, there's a stream of water coming from the left rear wheel well! Evidently the city water line is cracked behind the shower. It only leaks on city water so for now I'm going to repair faucets & use my tank water. I can get to the hose end of the supply line under the bedroom step, and I'm hoping I can find a place in the front where I can cut it loose & use the old line to pull a new line in. Ain't restoring old RVs fun!
Rick Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
This brings back memories. And makes me glad I ripped everything out. Can you run new lines without tearing into stuff? I would at least abandon all the old lines if you can and run pex. This was impossible to do with mine and just seemed to snowball. Best of luck to you!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by otrt View Post
This brings back memories. And makes me glad I ripped everything out. Can you run new lines without tearing into stuff? I would at least abandon all the old lines if you can and run pex. This was impossible to do with mine and just seemed to snowball. Best of luck to you!
Thank you. I need all the luck I can get! I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it, but I might could run a pex line underneath instead of through the wall. More than one way to skin a cat!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hope you sanitize your fresh tank and lines with a strong bleach solution before use !!
Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 PM   #5

It will be drained & well bleached before use! But thanks for the tip!
Old 04-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #6

Update on leak. Not good!

While I thought my leak was on the city line, I noticed when I ran my pump that about once a minute it would kick on for a few seconds. After letting it run for a while I found water dripping from the wheelwell again. So evidently my leak is in the shower or sinks line behind the shower. Our floorplan has a pocket door at the kitchen & bedroom, with the commode, sink & full size corner shower on the street side, and a sink in the bedroom on the wall that backs the corner shower. The bedroom pocket door recesses into the wall between the bedroom sink & shower. Any ideas how to remove the shower or get in to the plumbing?
Old 04-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #7

You may find that all the P traps have cracked as well. As you are only finding supply leaks at the moment, you might get a rude surprise when you start putting water down the drains. Drain lines that were not correctly winterized are know to crack at the P traps. Expanding water can do lots of damage. I don't envy your task ahead. I hope you got a smoking deal, because you could be in for a lot of work. Good odds the hot water tank froze and split as well. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
You may find that all the P traps have cracked as well. As you are only finding supply leaks at the moment, you might get a rude surprise when you start putting water down the drains. Drain lines that were not correctly winterized are know to crack at the P traps. Expanding water can do lots of damage. I don't envy your task ahead. I hope you got a smoking deal, because you could be in for a lot of work. Good odds the hot water tank froze and split as well. Good luck.
P-traps & hot water heater are all good, just the one leak. As for the 'smoking deal'? We wanted a smaller coach, but couldn't pass a 40 foot diesel pusher on a Gillig chassis with brand new Toyo tires and a 3208 Cat for 5 grand. I can junk it & make my money back selling parts if I have to.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #9

Sounds like its well worth the minor repairs.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Sounds like its well worth the minor repairs.
Winniman, we think so. After traveling around in a beat-up old Superior motorhome this is a BIG upgrade! The newer coaches are beautiful, but to us she's like an old Victorian home. A little shabby & run down, but way too much quality craftsmanship to let her rot down. I mean Corian countertops, marble floors, walnut woodwork. Heck, our house is not that fancy!
Old 04-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
While I am not familiar with you rigs layout I had an issue with my shower valve that needed repair. You have to work your way in from the back side of the valve. I had to remove kitchen cabinets and a wall panel to get to it. It took some patients and thought to how they built it so I could figure out how to disassemble it. I wouldn't give up on the plumbing because of one leak. I know you mentioned that a pocket door went in behind the shower. What on the wall on the other side of the pocket door?
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #12

Chargerman, the bedroom doorway is in the center of the coach. Facing forward there's a small cabinet with a sink to the left of the doorway. The pocket door slides into the wall behind it. When you step through the doorway the shower is in the corner to your left. The pocket door wall is between the shower and bedroom sink. Just forward of the shower is the bathroom cabinet & sink. I'm thinking MAYBE I can pull the sink cabinets & go through the walls behind them. The bedroom sink cabinet extends all the way to the outside wall, so if I cut into the wall it would be hidden inside the cabinet. My fear is the leak may be on the faucet side of the shower, on the pocket door wall.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
That’s the route I would take.

Good luck!

Keep us posted
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #14

Pulled a panel off the front of the shower stall so I could see under it. There's water dripping off the bottom of the stall, and no possible way to get to it without removing the stall itself. This is gonna be fun........NOT!