Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
TRD

Another "HOT" question

I have just finished reading "how Hot is too Hot" since I have recently developed a heating problem. 1989 27' Sun Clipper(454 )pulling a 16' enclosed trailer. I have put around 10,000 trouble free miles on this old girl since I bought it.

The first thing I noticed is I do not hear the fan kick on. In the past, I would hear the fan from "takeoff" until it about 25-30 mph. I would also hear the fan kick in if the temp start rising -- generally on a long pull etc.

Now, I never hear it anytime. 1st, was I hearing the clutch fan kick on or was it the electric fan I was hearing? The electric fan(s) (2 fans wired together) are also on a manual switch, but when I engage the switch, the fans turn but at a rather slow speed. Nothing I can hear from inside the MH.

I have replaced the thermosat, and the clutch fan in the past 2 weeks. All belts and hoses were replace 10,000 miles ago when I first started.

For now, I would like to stay in denial over a radiator change.

First I want to address the fan problem and why I am not hearing them engage. Is the electric fan on a thermo circuit? I did replace the manual switch on the electric fan, is it possible I did something wrong? It was rather straight forward, but I have a history of screwing up simple things

Any help, suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. I have about a month before it get hot and I hit the road.

Thanks,

Terry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #2

Did you have a mechanic look at it? You should hear the fan clutch kick in anytime the temp gets above 190 to 200. My old 87 Allegro would do that and when it didn't it was because the belt was slipping and not engage the fan. Have a qualified mechanic look at it. Have you flushed the radiator lately? It might help, but if the fan clutch is not engaging you have a problem.

Go Dawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
TRD

I did have a mechanic look it over. In fact it was the mechanic that replaced the clutch fan. But even with the new fan, I never hear it engage. I looked this evening (not that i doubted the mechanic) and it has a new clutch on it. Is the clutch fan different for a MH? - I am going to flush the system tomorrow and no doubt it is a good thing to do, but I still feel my problem is in the fan.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #4

Check temperature, use ir thermometer.

Our superduty seldom kicks in, but we do not tow with it...

If it is new, and not kicking in it could be that it is still winter and just not needed yet.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #5

The control is on the face of the clutch, if ambient is below certain point fan is coasting.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
There are different fan clutches. The fan clutch should turn in a clockwise direction for a motorhome. There should be an arrow on the front side of the clutch pointing in a clockwise direction. If it is pointing in the wrong direction then you have the wrong clutch.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #7

hi check your voltage at the elect fans make sure its 12.5 + check right at the connector by the fans ..dc motors can run at lower volts / slowing the rpms down a bad ground or dirty connector ,or a tstat can be doing this on the elect fan side any way.youve change the mech fan out when cold you should grabe a blade and spin it like trying to start an old plane shouldspin almost all around if it does good now warm up the mh at least 15 to 20 mins and then shut it off wait 5 mins for heat soak recheck the fan spin it it should be warm too the touch and spin not even 1/4 to half a turn ...now a another thought for you keep in mind a impellor pump failer could be the prob too even with good maint ive seen this happen hope this helps cheers
Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
TRD

The voltage on the electric fans are good. However, I have determined these fans are part of the engine A/C system, which was remove before I purchased the MH. I assume that is why they are on a manual switch. I am sure they help some, but my problem still remains why the fan clutch is not engaging even with a new clutch installed. The belts are new and tight. We have ordered a new clutch it will be installed Monday.

I have my fingers cross the clutch that is on the MH is the wrong rotation. To see the arrow indicator is impossible once the fan is installed. I have checked the (2nd) new clutch and it is correct rotation.

Thanks for all the help.

Terry
Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #9

Is the rubber dam in place? The piece of rubber that blocks the air going over top of the radiator. You need to concentrate the air coming in through the grill straight into the radiator. A lot of owners of these old beasts have done some sort of "walls" along side of the grill to direct the air straight into the radiator. I chose the path of closing off any areas where the air could go once it went past the grill. I used hardware cloth and spray foam to close up those areas. So now when air goes through the grill it has no choice than to go through the radiator. I did this before I pulled the radiator and it seemed to help the greatest amount for cooling the engine. Of course getting the radiator rebuilt fixed everything.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like you've isolated the issue, as yes, you should've heard the fan kick in once it's up to operating temp. These older 454s tend to run on the "warm" side as it is, but that's the point to the fan in the first place.

As a side note, you can pick up a digital infra-red thermometer at Harbor Freight for less than $20.00 and it's a very handy tool to have. Some of these older units you can't rely on the gauge to be accurate, so having that therm. and taking a reading at the heads will give you a much more precise reading. I recently had the shroud break off at a point and throw a piece into the fan, which in turn caused the fan to stop working and it was an almost immediate overheat. Luckily, I'm a nervous nelly (especially this is a relatively new acquisition) and caught it on the way up, pulled over and got a tow back to the service center.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
TRD

OK, we replaced the clutch fan (for the second time). This clutch fan is engaging. I drove it around and it never got above 180F. Normally it was at 200 and went up from there. However, unlike the other (new) clutch fan which never seemed to engage, this one will not disengage. It runs all the time. I say all the time, realizing I only drove it about 5 miles.

I am hoping as the oil in the clutch heats and becomes "broke in" it will function as it should. OK, I know I am "grabbing for straws", but at least it is cooling.

Thanks for all the help

Terry
Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This may help in understanding operation of fan clutch.

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/Hay...n-clutches.pdf
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If nothing else, you're a lot better off with running all the time instead of not at all. 180 is a perfect temp.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #14

At 5 miles it should have never kicked in.
With mine, when you start the motor the fan kicks in. After 2-5 minutes you can hear/see the fan slow down. It never completely kicks out. With mine there are times on the e-way I can hear half kick in before it completely kicks in the cool down. I have read time and time again to always buy OEM fan clutches because the work the best.