Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
bap

Another project followed me home..

1968 winnebago 216 sl,, i know she needs a little tlc but the dw and i love it..she has good bones and we want to put her back to pretty much how she rolled off the lot new..can anyone show me how they looked back then and or tell me if they are as rare as i think,,,i have searched everywhere but i cant find another one like it anywhere..
we couldnt wait to start cleaning her out so we could remove all the bad so we can rebuild her back and then get her ready for new paint ,,

any input from you guy,s would be most greatful,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WINNEBAGO 007.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	89478   Click image for larger version

Name:	WINNEBAGO 014.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	89479  

Name:	WINNEBAGO 010.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	89480   Click image for larger version

Name:	WINNEBAGO 016.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	89481  

Name:	WINNEBAGO 018.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	89482   Click image for larger version

Name:	WINNEBAGO 015.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	89483  

bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh boy! Looks like your weekends for the next couple of months will be fun! WooHoo! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
bap

lol yup,,but we love fixing them up , we already have a 68 holiday rambler travler she is ready for paint now just waiting on the weather to straighten up, and we have a 68 aristocrat landcamandor we fixed up last summer and a late 50s model go-tag-along 10ftr that is next in line,,,were starting to look like a vintage tt lot...lol...we love these little old fixer uppers,,,good thing about this one i made my money back from the loose change i found while cleaning this one out not to mention the antique coleman lantern and cook stove...
really not much real work just new floor,wall,and ceiling,plumbing,electric, then paint...lol...
Old 03-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
bap,

That is a great looking TT. Can't wait to se the finished project. Do you have pictures of all the others you have. I have seen one of them redone but not all of them. Post if you do please.

Hope all is well with you and DW. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
bap

thanks lynne, i love taking before and after pics,,give me a little while and i wil post a few more up,,i can see this one already done and we have not even started,,the DW has a great gift of seeing what things to do with anything that needs a new breath of life put into it,,lol...and i hate to see these old campers rot to the ground so we grab them up before they rot to the point of no return and give them new life ,,
i really want to get started on the wifes GTA,,she layed claims on that little canned ham as soon as she saw it,,,lol...and thats a complete rebuild to say the least...lo,,it still has the ice box and it needs new bones it will be by far the smallest one we have and the biggest challeng we have yet to dive into,,but it will be well worth the work,,,i actually stopped a guy in traffic and bought it from him after the scrapyard wouldnt even take it....lol...40 dollar camper....lol--20 bucks for it and i gave him another 20 to haul it to the house...lol..
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
thanks lynne, i love taking before and after pics,,give me a little while and i wil post a few more up,,i can see this one already done and we have not even started,,the DW has a great gift of seeing what things to do with anything that needs a new breath of life put into it,,lol...and i hate to see these old campers rot to the ground so we grab them up before they rot to the point of no return and give them new life ,,
i really want to get started on the wifes GTA,,she layed claims on that little canned ham as soon as she saw it,,,lol...and thats a complete rebuild to say the least...lo,,it still has the ice box and it needs new bones it will be by far the smallest one we have and the biggest challeng we have yet to dive into,,but it will be well worth the work,,,i actually stopped a guy in traffic and bought it from him after the scrapyard wouldnt even take it....lol...40 dollar camper....lol--20 bucks for it and i gave him another 20 to haul it to the house...lol..
Wow! Great find.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #7

I remember them being pretty common around here in the 70s. They weren't expensive & most any vehicle could tow them.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hey Bap, great find there , the outside looks real good, you and your DW have your summer planned! with this one and all the other one's. Keep the pics coming.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:41 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
bap & wife vintage trailer saves

bap,

You and your wife should start a thread labeled as the title here. Just put her name in it though. You could post all the pics of every trailer you have so far and then the before and after transformations. We could all follow it and enjoy your progress. I love the old ones and I know I have seen this one over the years but never paid much attention to the details. We tent camped until the pop-up and thought we had found heaven.

I know what you mean about seeing what it would look like not it looks like presently. It is like they talk to you and say "make me pretty again" Then how do you resist because you look at the kitchen and know it would be great like this and the bed you could do this to and then the toilet: well, you get the idea.

I have walked into some dumps in the past and saw what they would look like and was itching to get my hands on them. Just all depends on what you are willing to do and how much skill you have.

What are you going to do with all of them when you are done? I thought one time you said you planned on your own little vintage CG for family and friends to visit.

Well, looking forward to it either way, keep us posted. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:47 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
bap,
Nice find, now you have enough projects to keep you out of trouble for the whole summer.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:50 AM   #11

She's a cutie!!!...can't wait to see the transformation
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It'll be fantastic I'm sure,
Ya Are you and the Mrs going to open a classic MH Lot?
Can't wait for the Pic's
Have Fun,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 PM   #13

Wow!! She's actually got some character.

You probably won't find anything, just like I can't find anything on my '84 Prowler, in that the years were during a time of before the take-off of the internet and digital cameras.

What you'll find is only Polarod---can't even spell it, it's so old.

Good luck. You got something neat there.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
bap

thanks allf for the incouragingh words,,,yeaq i have her gutted now a nice plank canvas to work with,, the waqlk in closet will or could make a nice bathroom with shower if we decide to go that route,,,were putting the original colors back for sure..

been busy painting the holiday interior today..it was good but the DW wanted to change it up and im happy she did turning out great..but got to late for pics..

and yes lynne we still want a couple more to set up the vintage cp. but were getting there, lol..we have a full summer with the work on the winnebago and the tag long..
but we she should get them done before fall sets in,,,,we hope...lol thats the plan anyway,,,but the DW is now legaly blind due to her inhallers for her copd but she still can out paint me ...lol...and it all depends on her DR. apointments and treatment,,,she goes in soon to see mow much time she has left since she is in stage 3 with her copd....but she is a strong fighter and refuses to stop working on our projects...
i will check back in tomarrow....goodnight everyone...