Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #1

Another roof seal question

Hi again

Another question regarding our 87 bounder. It has an alluminium roof sealed either side ,front & back with seam sealant.The original stuff has seen better days! Reading the previous threads about roof repair/sealing in general the recommended stuff is like Kool roof/seal snow roof etc.
Was wondering that if you dont have time to prepare and actually use these coatings what would you recommend for purely replacing the old cracking sealant?

Have read advice about using Eternabond microtape to seal over the edges.would it be wise to scrape off the old sealant or would the tape be able to adhere to the old stuff? Any of the dico caulk range be any good or a combination of say the tape and caulk, or caulk and put tape down whilst caulk is wet?

As we fulltime our coach (not moving around the country so much,just using the beast as our home) and depending on how long we keep it , one of those coatings to help keep the UV rays at bay & inside temps lower may be used.
For now its just seal and stop anymore rain getting in on the passenger side front seal (just around the front cap) this only let rain in once during a major storm!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
well the way that looks I would say get that off of there and I used the tape , then the dyco sealant on the edges of the tape then coated with the roof sealant, if you dont take that stuff off then what ever you put over it will not stick either, I tried that and ended up with twice the scaraping work , I used the wide tape, if you can get it over all of what is on there then ya might be able to just seal it but I would just chisle it off , from the looks of it , it might not be that hard to get off , I took a puddy knife and sharpened the edge so it was like a razor blade and it made it alot eaiser to come off , I would take the time to get it off , clean it and seal it right and it should last a long time , took me twice as long to get off the quick patch job I tried instead of just taking off what was there so I really would take off the old stuff
buehler740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #3

Thankyou Buehler740 ,

sounds like you had a hard time taking off the old stuff & the temporary repair! Thinking about it sensibly the best way is to take the old sealant off then seal.

Will look into getting the tape & some of the Dicor caulk.

Thanks again
Old 09-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #4

Hi folks. If I can jump in for a moment. Done a few roofs and the fastest way I found to get the old sealer off is to soften it with a paint stripper gun.

Just be sure you have a fire exstinguisher ready. I had one sealer that didn't like the heat. I was using a propane torch. Not the best idea!

Take it off a few feet at a time. It may not come off all at once and you will have to go over it again.

To clean off the residue try paint thinner or laquer reducer/thinner and a green scotch pad.

Best of luck

Steve.
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
To be honest, it still requires the same amount of prep to apply the Eternabond as it does to seal the roof with snow roof. There's no way to half-ass your way around this one, you've just gotta dedicate a weekend to getting up there and cleaning the sealant off the seams.
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
great idea didnt think of it when I was doing that but will remember for the next time
Old 09-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #7

Doing your seams with 4" Eternabond white, and a few coats of snow white. and that will look better than new!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #8

Buehler,next time??? Once wasn't enough.???

Steve.
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gee I hope it will last so there wont be a next time, not sure how often ya have to reseal the roof hope not to often at least now since I stripped off everything that the old owner had on it I know exactly what is on it and what was done to seal it so thats a good thing, no suprises, LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
Buehler,next time??? Once wasn't enough.???

Steve.