Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #29

What you need is a valve only that goes into the tank, then add mine to it. Can you do that? Are you sure you reg won't unscrew from the tank valve?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #30
TRD

the shut off and regulator is all one piece. If not, I would just replace the regulator. Apparently, it has been replaced at some point.
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #31

$5.00 Priority Mail.

PM on the way.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #32
TRD

Done -- and thanks,

Terry
Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #33

For me at least, this is the first I have heard of a tank valve/regulator setup like you describe. Would be interesting to see a picture of the type you have. It is a shame you have to waste all that gas to do this. In the end though, you should be in a much better position.

BTW - What is the mfg data printed on the valve/regulator assembly?

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #34

I think by law, it has to be replaced with an OPD valve, and may have to be re-certified.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #35

OPD Valves are not used on ASME tanks (non-removable permanent install tank). They are only used on DOT tanks (removable/portable tank).
OPD stands for "overfilling prevention device" or "overfill protection device" and is required on all 4 to 40 pound DOT cylinders in vapor service. The OPD valve is simply a protective device that, as the name implies, prevents overfilling of a propane cylinder.
Propane OPD - Overfill Prevention Device Cylinder Valves

On a ASME tank they use the 80% fixed level gauge to determine when the tank is full during filling.
Propane Fixed Liquid Level Gauge - Bleeder Valves

The purpose of either device is to ensure the tank is not filled beyond 80% capacity. This allows for gas expansion due to temperature changes. It also prevents liquid propane from reaching the regulator which can damage the regulator.

Additional info:
OPD - pdf Page 32 of http://www.bustropolis.com/files/dow...nformation.pdf

ASME: pdf page 27 of that document
Dave
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #36

I can't check right now, but I think mine has one of these.

Page 32.
2-3.5 Overfilling Prevention Devices (OPDs)
The overfilling prevention device is a safety feature. This device uses an internal float that is connected to the fill valve of containers. During the filling process, once the level of liquefied petroleum gas reaches the 80% full level of the container, the overfilling prevention device activates and protects against additional LP liquid being introduced into the container.

Since 1984, overfilling prevention devices have been required in all permanently mounted ASME tanks on recreation vehicles, as well as propane fueled vehicles. Beginning in September of 1998, DOT cylinders were also required to use overfilling prevention devices.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #37

Dunner,
Good catch however for ASME in 84 and later you would have both an OPD and a fixed level gauge (outage valve) as shown on this Manchester "new" tank page: Manchester Tank: RV Products

By law, the person filling the tank is not supposed to depend on just the OPD valve. For ASME they also use the fixed level gauge. For DOT it is by weight. A primary and backup situation.
Filling a ASME motor fuel or RV tank - pdf page 49 of http://www.propanesafety.com/uploade...Low%20Rez).pdf

DOT tanks - pdf page 29 of that document. Inspection, Filling and Labling Requirements.

Those documents are nice reference material.

There are some older horizontal DOT tanks that are excempt from the OPD valve requirement because nobody made a OPD valve for them. You can find that info on a web search.

My 1978 82lb ASME tank only has a fixed level gauge. Because it is pre-84, it is excempt from the OPD requirement. It originally was a dual fuel setup.

Dave
Old 02-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #38

To many variables. I did say "I think".

Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #39
TRD

OK, I think I have it fixed. After all the help last night, (pictures included) I decided what I was calling a regulator, may not have actually been a regulator. I installed a regulator (like 1 of the pics). I emptied the tank (long story, but was not necessary). Tomorrow, I will go have the tank filled, but i feel confidant, that problem is solved.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I will confirm the sucess tomorrow evening.

Stay tuned for the next set of problems and questions

Terry
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #40

Package left in today's mail. In a couple of days you will have a spare.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #41
TRD

I am pleased to announce, all propane appliances are working as they should. Again, thanks for the help.

Terry
Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #42

Glad to hear it is all fixed. I suppose you could say you have new found knowledge of a RV Propane system

Dave