Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Antique Auto plates on a Motorhome?

So far, I'm been struggling to get my MH up to inspectable level (needs a suspension part that isn't in totally critical condition and the gas tank has a very small leak) for my state (Maine), its a 1983 and someone at DMV told me I couldn't register this MH as a Antique Auto.

But I swear I've seen MHs registered as Antique Autos.. anyone here have an antique plate/tag?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoal View Post
So far, I'm been struggling to get my MH up to inspectable level (needs a suspension part that isn't in totally critical condition and the gas tank has a very small leak) for my state (Maine), its a 1983 and someone at DMV told me I couldn't register this MH as a Antique Auto.

But I swear I've seen MHs registered as Antique Autos.. anyone here have an antique plate/tag?
This is from the Maine DMV website :

Historic Vehicle License Plates

The Maine BMV offers special registration and license plates for several types of classic cars and antique vehicles, including:
  • Antique autos, which:
    • Are cars, trucks, or motorcycles made after 1915 AND over 25 years old.
    • Have original or accurate replica of the original engine.
    • Are mostly used for public events and exhibitions.
    • ARE NOT reconstructed or altered.
  • Custom vehicles, which are:
    • A minimum of 25 years old, made after 1948, AND altered or made from non-original material on the body.
      OR
    • Made to look like a vehicle from the time period above.
  • Horseless Carriages which:
    • Were manufactured before 1916.
    • Have original engines or replica engines that meet original specs.
    • Are used for display, education, and events, BUT NOT for regular transportation.
  • Street Rods, which are:
    • Modified vehicles manufactured before 1949.
      OR
    • Replicas of vehicles manufactured before 1949.

Most states have mileage limits on the plates, and no night time driving(At least here in Pa.)
  • From Maines DMV:
  • Antique Auto:
    Is defined in 29-A MRSA, Section 101, subsection 3, as "Any automobile or truck manufactured in or after
    model year 1916, which is over 25 years old, which is equipped with an engine manufactured either at the
    same time as the vehicle or to the specifications of the original engine of the vehicle, which is maintained
    primarily for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest and not used
    as its owner's primary mode of transportation of passengers or goods".

Old 04-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have Historical plates on my 1980 MGB and according to NYS DMV I cannot use it as regular transportation but I could drive it cross-country or on vacations.
That being said, it must still be inspected and pass a NYS annual vehicle inspection and have the inspection sticker affixed to the windshield.

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #4

I had them on my 85 Southwind in Maryland. Likely depends on your State. Mine just said it could be used for occasional transportation. Now I live in Virginia and it says pretty much the same but does have a mileage from home restriction. I have no plates on it at the moment but will soon after I do some maintenance.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #5

I run an antique plate on my coach here in Texas.
One exception to the rules here says that you can drive an antique vehicle for maintenance purposes. So I always carry a tool bag and red shop rag. Maintenance also includes washing, fueling, etc. The only cop that ever paid any attention to me gave me a thumbs up.
Of course, your state may vary.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
We have ours as a antique here in NH. Which does not have a mileage limit but you still have to have it inspected.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #7

In Idaho they have what is called Old Timers Plates. There are the age restrictions etc. but also they are only good for parades, weekends, etc. I have a 1923 Model T that could easily have those plates on, however I drive it to work quite often so do carry regular plates on it. I think in Idaho the only advantage to the OTP is you do not need to renew them every year.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #8

In Missouri you can use a license plate from the year your motorhome was manufactured. There are some restrictions, but from what I have seen, they aren't enforced much.
I've copied what is listed from the state:

A vehicle that is registered as a historic vehicle may be driven:

To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;
To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit; and
Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.

Year of Manufacture License Plates
The owner of any historic vehicle possessing a license plate issued by the state of Missouri that is over 25 years old in which the year of issuance of such plate is consistent with the model year of the vehicle may register such plate as a Year of Manufacture historic vehicle license plate as set forth in section 301.131, RSMo, provided the plate configuration does not conflict with the current numbering system. If you already have an old Missouri license plate (or set), you may e-mail the plate configuration to mvbmail@dor.mo.gov and ask our staff to verify if it is available as a Year of Manufacture registration.

To apply for Year of Manufacture license plates, you must submit the following items to our central office in Jefferson City:

A completed Application for Missouri Historic or Personalized Historic License Plates (Form 570);
A picture of the license plate you wish to use for the Year of Manufacture registration;
A paid personal property tax receipt (original or copy) or a statement of non-assessment from your county of residence (or city of St. Louis) for the previous year;
A current insurance identification card (original or copy) or other proof of financial responsibility;
A copy of the vehicle's title or registration receipt;
A registration fee of $25.25 (this is a one-time fee);
A $3.50 processing fee.
Be sure to mark the "Year of Manufacture" box on the Form 570.

When selling a historic vehicle with a Year of Manufacture registration, the new owner may use the Year of Manufacture license plate(s) on the vehicle if the previous owner provides a relinquishment letter, and standard Year of Manufacture requirements (above) are met. There is no limit to the number of times the plate may be re-used as long as a notarized relinquishment letter is provided.

If you have additional questions about historic vehicle registration, you may send an e-mail to mvbmail@dor.mo.gov.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #9

I have antique plates on my 91 Winnebago, my 86 Ford pickup, and my 78 Eldorado. Each time the DMV attendant asked me if I minded antique plates-in Connecticut the only differences I can find are, they cap the assessment for tax purposes at $500, and allow you to run year of manufacture plates if you so choose.

Bill
Old 04-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
I thought about it for when I might take mine on the road but the restrictions put on what you can do when you have those plates just don't seem to be worth the hassle.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Shoal
In Wisconsin any motor vehicle registered as an antique can't be legally driven during the month of January.
Nice for my motorcycles but not so much for my MH... (which is used in warm states from Nov. - April).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:

Driving a motor vehicle knowing there is an issue with the suspension could be costly for you if you ever got into an accident with it. Especially if you were to hurt or kill someone. It can happen.
The same goes for that "small" gas leak. While it may appear to be small today it could become a large leak tomorrow. Have someone walk past the MH and flick a lit cigarette under it and there could be a large boom which again could hurt or kill someone.
These inspection laws are written for a good reason. Your safety and the safety of those sharing the road with you. Instead of trying to beat the system get the faults repaired and do the right thing. You will be the better man for it.
Lynn

Tags
motorhome