Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #71

Ok just a quick update. I heard back form the machine shop where I dropped the heads. As I thought the heads are fine just need a valve job. No bent valves, or warping of the heads. I should have them back on Monday. As far as the part I broke while disassembling I found a new one. Ordered it of Amazon odd enough. It should be here around Tuesday or so. I ordered and now have a full engine gasket set. I figure this way I have a spare everything if I need it. I will have all new push rods by Monday as well. I will spend the next weeks evenings cleaning and getting ready to reinstall it all. The nice thing about working at a high school is the off time. We have a 4 day weekend next week, so should have it all back together and running by Saturday.
tinse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I can hardly stand the suspense. You sure are lucky to have a spot to work on it, bravo.
My suspense is its going up to +40 next week.LOL
Happy friday,
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #73

As far as a place to work on it, that would be my house as of now. When we first got it running on attempt number one it ran great. I had it to 50 mph in town easy enough. I am however excited to be able to move it at will to continue the rest of the repairs.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #74

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Oops I thought I read you had the school shop to use.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #75

I do have the shop at the school. I don't however have a motor to get it there. The first time we did the pushrods and motor work was at the shop. Now it's home, and I have my tools so I am doing the work at home. Once it's running again I will be using the shop at school for repairs. This pic is from the shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	56134  
Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
IC Thanks, you should have made it a school project!!! Still like following it along.
Thanks, tb
Old 03-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #77

Well I know it's been some time but the ole RV breathes again. After pulling the heads and having them redone, the motor is back together, and running. It needs some tunning but is back. I realy wanted to make sure it had good clean gas before I tried to start it again. So after trying some home remedies to clean the front tank I gave up. It will need to be done by a pro. So I went to the rear main tank. Crawled under dropped the tank to find pack rats had made a home on top of it. After getting it out and pulling the sending unit I found the tank looked like it had just been cleaned. So I put it back, and did some gas line plumbing. She fired right up. So it runs. Now the new schedule of work:

1- pick up title today finally. It's a long story
2- new tires are in at my shop so new tires and registration next week.
3- test and tune the motor
4- tear into the brakes and brake fluid, rear diff, and joints.
5- air bags on the front

6- road trip

Thanks folks
Old 03-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Glad to hear it's running, we had the Pack Mice nest in the Heater Motor compartment when we got ours. 3 years ago and still have had no mices. "I Hate those mices to pieces"!!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #79

Well haven't had a chance to do the tune up or tires. Did a side job to make some money to continue the project. I did install the house battery finally. The charger is working properly. Good news. Better news the generator started right up. There is no fuel in the line, but a squirt of start fluid and alive it goes. I also pulled the awning out tonight. Bad news, it's rotted where it mounts to the roof. Being in Arizona I assumed it would be rotted in that spot. More updates as they come.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #80

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinse4 View Post
Well haven't had a chance to do the tune up or tires. Did a side job to make some money to continue the project. I did install the house battery finally. The charger is working properly. Good news. Better news the generator started right up. There is no fuel in the line, but a squirt of start fluid and alive it goes. I also pulled the awning out tonight. Bad news, it's rotted where it mounts to the roof. Being in Arizona I assumed it would be rotted in that spot. More updates as they come.
FYI, a common issue with older gennies is that the rubber fuel line cracks or collapses. Easy to replace the entire thing.
Also, the pick-up in the gas tank is at the 1/4 mark or so, (so running the gennie will not drain the tank dry).

For a healthy generator that will work when you need it, run it under load (electric heater or air conditioning) for 30-60 minutes every single month.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #81

Thanks for the heads up Badger. Ran into another issue so the generator will have to wait. Installed the new tires today at the shop. While trying to get home the rig over heated. Turns out that the radiator cracked or blew. So will have to look into that.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
ONO Tinse4,
That's a drag. Mine started leaking over the winter sometimes it leaks, some days it don't
tb
Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #83

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
tinse4,
When you do the tuneup, if you want some extra power, install a msd ignition module and a blaster coil in the new distributor cap. along with a good set of high temperature plug wires. I put the ones with the ceramic boots on my 88 P30 and picked up over 1 MPG closer to 2 MPG and a lot more power. Actually gained 5 MPH pulling the hills on I 77 in WV. I also raised the base of the air cleaner between an inch and an inch and a half (whatever you have for clearance between the top of the air cleaner and the bottom of the dog house. Also a K&N air filter. You will get the cost of the parts back with the increased fuel mileage and the trips will be much easier on the driver. If you want to know more just shoot me a PM when you are ready.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #84

Thanks Franka. I will certainly look into those upgrades. As far as the radiator goes well. So I crawled under it this morning. I pulled the hose to inspect it to find nothing wrong with it. I then looked at the outlet on the radiator. I took a flashlight and looked for cracks, anything. I found nothing. I put it all back together and moved the clamp a bit more to the hose side. Filled her back up and let her run. Not a drop came out. I can only assume the clamp was loose and that was the issue. Drove it home no problem short of not idling right. The idle I hope will be fixed by the tuning and the carb rebuild. So back on track with other repairs.