Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
Thermostat on the lack of heating mostiky? Could be part of the emissions problem too though.

Sounds like a rough day with the motorhome. Sometimes they're wins, some days are losses. Keep at it.

castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Been following along, you are making progress, just keep at it, it will all pay off in the end! I went through the same things years ago on my old 74 Shasta Class A! But when it was done, what fun it was! Rail!

Old 11-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #101

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hi Rail,
How's the weather holding up in Thailand? Weather has been great here in central Florida until today, High in the low 60's, 20mph wind out of the north. Low tonight in the mid 30's, brrrrrr. Then supposed to warm up tomorrow afternoon.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Frank, the weather here is great, I live up north about 350 mi's north of Bangkok. But it is still around the 17th parallel. So it never gets lower than 50 at night , around mid 80's in the daytime! I love the older Mh's, as the one I have now is almost vintage, give a year or so! I was looking at a few before I fell on to this one, and could not pass it up! It has the 454 to but injected! I know the OP is getting frustrated , but when he gets it lined out, and that 454 starts purring, it will be worth all the time! Rail!
Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #103

Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Rail,
I had an 88 Southwind and the 454 does purr with a little help. The fuel injection helps, free flowing exhaust and increased spark also helps them come alive with a lot better mileage.
Frank
Old 11-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #104

Ok so I have decided enough is enough. I am buying a new carb today. I have been reading a few posts on different sites. My mechanic friends all point me to the Holley carbs, and so I am going that way. I am wondering though about the AIR system. I read this folks getting rid of them with great results. I am wondering though how they manage to get through emissions. is it possible to get through emissions still or are these people all emission free? any input would be great.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #105

In Texas you would have none on your Rv
Old 11-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #106

Well when getting to the parts store I was for once pleasantly surprised. They had the Edelbrock that I wanted, with the adapter kit and all. So $500.00 and one trip back its installed. This old motor has not run this smooth or good since I took possession of it. I would do it again in a second. It was very little tuning, and it purrs like it should. Tomorrow will take it in to the shop to do an oil change, and third try through emissions. My buddy the mechanic that helped thinks it will pass as it sits. If not Wednesday night he will bring his air gas tester over and we will tune just to pass then re-tune to performance.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:25 AM   #107

sounds good
Old 11-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #108

Well finally emissions complete. The idle was a little rich, but the loaded running test was almost zeros. Sat at the MVD for about an hour and had to leave to get back to work, so still no plate or title transfer but I will go first thing in the morning and take care of that. I also dropped the main tank to try and figure out why my gas gauge doesn't work. The only thiking I can think is its the gauge itself. The sending unit seems to ohm out ok, and the ground is good. I did a continuity test on the signal side and found no ground in it. So I am left to assume its the gauge. If my logic is off please chime in. The gauge always reads full. I cant get it to budge. So I will try to track down a replacement gauge. If I cant find a factory then I will have to add an aftermarket one. I would rather keep the factory look but we must do what we have to. After bleeding the rear breaks they feel great. Another round of valve adjustment, and I think the drive train is done.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #109

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinse4 View Post
Well finally emissions complete. The idle was a little rich, but the loaded running test was almost zeros. Sat at the MVD for about an hour and had to leave to get back to work, so still no plate or title transfer but I will go first thing in the morning and take care of that. I also dropped the main tank to try and figure out why my gas gauge doesn't work. The only thiking I can think is its the gauge itself. The sending unit seems to ohm out ok, and the ground is good. I did a continuity test on the signal side and found no ground in it. So I am left to assume its the gauge. If my logic is off please chime in. The gauge always reads full. I cant get it to budge. So I will try to track down a replacement gauge. If I cant find a factory then I will have to add an aftermarket one. I would rather keep the factory look but we must do what we have to. After bleeding the rear breaks they feel great. Another round of valve adjustment, and I think the drive train is done.
Try adding a temporary ground to the gauge cluster. It could be that without ground your needle pegs to full.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #110

I will give it a try thank you.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #111

Freightliner Owners Club
tinse4,
Glad that you got the rig through inspection. Nothing like a good operating carb to smooth out the motor.
Frank
Old 11-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #112

Good morning. I thought I would take a moment to update while the baby is sleeping. So I once again brought the RV to work, still running great. Took some more time to figure out why the main tank gas gauge isn't working. I tested dropped the tank again and tested the sending unit, which is good. I tested the gauge which is also good. Checked all the wires around both, and the looked good. So as a last measure I grabbed a creeper and figured I would follow the sending unit wire, and roll my way under the chassis from rear to front. Half way up the frame I noticed about a foot of the sending unit wire was missing. I assume a pack rat decided I didn't need it. So a few butt connecters and minutes later I have a gas gauge again. I then decided while I was on a roll to figure out why only the bright head lights work. After an hour of testing pulling, and playing I decided just to replace the floor switch and dash switch. They are only a couple of bucks. Still no regular lights. So I do as I do I get online and search. Then the light bulb. I have four headlights. Two on each side, one over the other. What if one bulb is a dual element, and the other single. When on bright all four light up. So I get a flash light and sure enough the top ones are dual. So today I will buy two new ones, and see what happens. It looks like a few little bugs are left to work out. We are planning on making our first trip the weekend after Thanksgiving. So its crunch time. A year in progress so I am excited.