Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #113

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
All sounds good. and a trip just around the corner,I bet your like a kid in the Candie store...
I am going to keep a eye here as I am having the same problem on my 64 deville but mine (headlights) are side by side and if I hit the brites both on the passenger side light up and nothing on the drivers side.
Safe travels, Tim

spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #114

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome. I love progress. Little puzzles like these are why I enjoy owning an older coach.

I get that some people don't enjoy working on their own stuff, but there are those of us that do. Keep it up. Almost to the finish line. (Kidding. There is no finish line )

castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #115

Thanks folks. The head lights I bought are the wrong one, so I will have to pull one to compare at the store. Today new air bags go in up front. I figure now its running good it should drive nice also. I thought about new springs, but if I can get a year or tow out of the air bags for $85.00 compared to the springs its worth the money to me. If we decide that we keep this one in a few years then yes new springs. With me, wife and two daughters I am thinking in a few years we will need a bigger RV. This RV is a test. If we use it then we will go buy a bigger one that we want. This was free and Im only in it about $3,000.00. So not a big loss if we dont use it like I think we will. Will keep you posted.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #116

Ok so a question. SO the new air bags are in, and a great difference in handling. My question is this, what is everyone running in their bags? mine say 40-90lbs for an RV. I may have dreamed it up but I recall hearing start at 70lbs and adjust as needed. I figure I will run the 70lbs for the first trip then decide to try up or down. Any thoughts would be great. I also noticed today I have the famous right side exhaust manifold crack. So some headers are in the future.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #117

you need the ride height set right do you have a manual my front weighs 5200 on the front i run 70 just wait till you do the rear
Old 11-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinse4 View Post
Thanks folks. The head lights I bought are the wrong one, so I will have to pull one to compare at the store. Today new air bags go in up front. I figure now its running good it should drive nice also. I thought about new springs, but if I can get a year or tow out of the air bags for $85.00 compared to the springs its worth the money to me. If we decide that we keep this one in a few years then yes new springs. With me, wife and two daughters I am thinking in a few years we will need a bigger RV. This RV is a test. If we use it then we will go buy a bigger one that we want. This was free and Im only in it about $3,000.00. So not a big loss if we dont use it like I think we will. Will keep you posted.
That's the exact reason we bought our Dolphin. If it gets used, maybe we will move up.

Now we're ready to move up.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #119

My rear doesnt have air bags. I have a manual, but never thought to look at it. I suppose that will be my bedtime reading tonight when I get home. Thanks
Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #120

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
tinse4,
If I remember correctly, I ran around 50psi in the front and about 15 to 20psi in the rear empty and around 40 to 45psi when I had the trailer with car on it. I would guess that 70psi would make the ride extremely rough. I would start at 50 and work up or down from there. Good heavy duty shocks are a must on the front of the P30 chassis to keep a good ride.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #121

Thanks Frank. I will take a drive after my side job tomorrow. I have to keep financing this project. I will drive it a bit, then lower to 50 and see what I think. This is also the second mention of rear bags. I have been from one end to the other on this from the under side. I don't have any bags at the rear. My guess is it due to the length. Mine is only 27 feet. So maybe the rear was sufficient with out them. I don't plan on much towing as of now, short of my Jeep. I have a 90 Jeep Cherokee that I can flat tow so it wouldn't add any rear weight.

On another note I have another question. I have heard that a low propane tank can lead to propane smell in the house. I have a 40gal tank that has enough to run the furnace, but not much. When I turn the propane tank valve open I get a smell of propane in the house. I am going to put 20gals or so in it tomorrow and see if it helps. Question is has anyone had this, or heard of it. It may just be I have a leak in the house as I don't smell it outside. I plan on spending next week cleaning, and securing the house for the first trip. I'm not kidding when I say I am apprehensive at best about this trip. She is running good, and have been driving it almost everyday for the last week. 3 hrs from home is a bit scary.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #122

Propane smell will probably get worse, once you fill it, as usually there is a small amount of leakage when they thread the nozzle on that works its way into the coach. That part of the smell usually goes away.
More likely the root problem will be shut off valves under some cabinet. The use grease to seal the valves. As the grease dries out and hardens, the valve tends to settle in to one spot. When the temperature changes, the valve resettles, and may seep a little bit, until it settles into its new spot. You may want to work the valves around and work the grease around, so it will seal again. Ultimately, you may need to replace the valves if they continue to seep.
You will also find some propane jobbers really stick, while others have only a mild smell. There isn't any specification on the smell and how much smell there should be, only that the smell must exist.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #123

The "perfume" added to the otherwise odorless propane doesn't always burn off real well. When you get towards the bottom of the tank, it's not too unusual to smell it - even if nothing is leaking.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #124

Gulf Streamers Club
You might check with your local fire department, they might have a 'sniffer' that can help find any leaking connections.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #125

Thanks for the comments. I just got home, so now its time to put some in and find out. I did read in the owners manual that there is a leak tester built into the system. So I will have them add about 20lbs and see if it tells me anything.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #126

Tinse4. a friend has an 88 Holiday Rambler on a P-30 chassis, He runs 60lbs in his airbags, but his is a 32' coach. As far as the propane smell. just make sure the connections are tight and after put more propane on board check the stove and furnace valves aren't leaking after setting for a long period of time.

Mike

Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote