Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #1

Any thoughts

So I am new to the forum, and looking for some advice. I am going this weekend to try and resurrect and 28' 1982 Allegro. It has been sitting for some years now. It is in great shape for the age. I also know the owner very well so trust the statements he make about everything used to work. So my plan is to drain the fluids, and refill with new. New oil filter and battery. I have purchased an oil pump primer for it so that will be done also before the start up attempt. Is there anything else I should be looking for before start up? I know that once I get it home I have to clean up and test everything from there. Thanks for any info
tinse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

You'll need to check age of the tires, anything over 6 years old needs replaced before putting it on the road. The date should be stamped on the sidewall. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

In addition, I'd want to check that all brake cylinders or calipers move freely and aren't frozen. Belts and hoses should be checked too. I don't know how far you need to move it, but it might be best to have it put on a trailer or towed until it can be made mechanically sound. If gas has been sitting in it, running it on that old gas might mean big headaches in dirt and varnish being flushed into carburetor or injectors. Carry a spare fuel filter even if you've changed the original on board, it could clog in short order. Good luck with it!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips. I plan on doing a break-in trip around a few blocks before heading home. I will be going across town strictly on surface streets but will still take about 30 mins. The tires are about 5yrs if I recall. They are all holding air and will need to be replaced being Az is not kind to anything. I have also toyed with the idea of adding Seafoam to the tank after I drain and refill it. I have done it in the past with a Toyota that sat for 7 years in the bushes. The extra fuel filter is something I didn't think about. Good call
Old 01-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

You'll need to check age of the tires, anything over 6 years old needs replaced before putting it on the road.
Where did this old wives tale come from? Not even the tire companies say this in their literature. They do say to have the tires checked by a professional starting with the 5th year and every year thereafter.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Where did this old wives tale come from? Not even the tire companies say this in their literature. They do say to have the tires checked by a professional starting with the 5th year and every year thereafter.
I'm not an old wife, but tires age faster from lack of use, something the OP mentioned about his new RV. In addition, the rig in the discussion is in Tucson, AZ, a place where sun and heat can cause even more damage. Where did this information come from, well, you could check here:
Polk’s Top 7 Tips for Protecting Aging Motorhome Tires

Here:
Tire Replacement Guidelines - Goodyear RV

Here:
Bob Dickman Tire Center - Motorhome Tires » RV Tire Age

and Here:
Tire Failure

Sure you could have tires checked by a professional every year after the fifth year, but most 'pros' are trained to change and balance tires, they aren't putting their family on board and won't be liable if it blows and takes out valuable fiberglas.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #6

If you haven't started it yet, I would spray some oil down the cylinders. Let that sit for a while. No doubt the cylinders are dry, so some oil on the walls should help. Normally on a break in, you do a full throttle run up in first gear, and then let it coast down to a top to suck oil up into the cylinder walls. Don't know if I would go that far. Also when you pre-lube, you need to pull the valve covers and make sure you are getting oil up each of the rods up to the rockers. This takes a lot longer than you would think it would, especially to get it all the way out to the front most cylinders. When I installed the 502, I could have sworn that the oil pump was not working, because it took so long to get oil to the top of the engine. Expect to run the pump for a half hour or more to get the oil where it needs to be.

Once you do start it and get it home, you will want to take several short shake down trips, where you are near your home. At first everything will seem to work fine, and yo will think you are home free. Don't jump to those kinds of conclusions too quick. Give it a month or two, and then stuff will start showing up. Electrical seems to be the worst form sitting, because the moister tends to build up inside from humidity, and does not get burnt off.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When you get her home (safetly) and settle down sure would like to see some pictures.
again welcome to iRV@ and the vintage section
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice. I did not get to go last weekend and start the work. My buddy managed to sleep half way through the day. So tomorrow is the day. I agree with the shack down trips. My plan once I get everything working and checked out will be some close to home trips with the guys. That way if something breaks I have extra eyes and no wife or child to worry about. As far as pics these are the ones I took a week or two ago. It will need lots of cleaning, and some minor panel repair in the bathroom. The rear window had a leak which has already been repaired. Will let you guys know the out come tomorrow night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140105_124032_639.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	54112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140105_124057_326.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	54113  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140105_133613_845.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	54114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140105_133618_426.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	54115  

Old 01-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would consider to put an ERS in place before driving it. Might come in handy and save money if something happens on the way home or during text drives while getting it fully road worthy.

Also. Got insurance? Registration. Title?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #10

This may be silly but what is an ERS? Insurance is ready and will print a temporary 30 day plate when I feel its ready to drive home. You can only print two I believe so I want to save the days I can.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #11

The title is where the RV is. A bit of back story is probably needed. This RV is at a Buddies parents house. It is their V, and have owned it for many years. When all the kids moved out they bought a cab over to travel in. The RV was used by my buddy for a few years, until he also bought a cab over. It has since been sitting for about 4 years. The parents are good friends also, and told my wife and I they would give ti to us as a late wedding gift if we wanted it. So title is in hand, I have two good sources of history, and info on it, and i know how the family takes care of their gear. So there is the story to date.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think your rig looks great for a 1982!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #13

Thanks Mike. The current owner is a retired fire Capt. He takes good care of everything.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #14

Don't forget new brake fluid. That means to flush all old fluid from the system. Lots of posts here on IRV2.

And, good luck with your new-to-you motorhome...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote