Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #1

Any vet RVer wanna give a recommendation.

Soooo to all of the people that have been doing this forever... I once again call upon your wisdom. I failed the EVAP as well as the ignition timing... Any one have any suggestions on what I'm going to need to buy for the repairs on my 1984 Fleetwood Pace arrow with the Chevy 454. Thank u so much and as always I am greatful for any and all help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1485382564108-995669615.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	150056  
WhoolaWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks like a new gas cap is called for. The timing and the fuel evaporation failures could both be a result of bad vacuum. I'd replace the gas cap then test the vacuum system with a gauge. While the engine is running, WD-40 can be sprayed on vacuum lines. If the idle suddenly rises, you've hit a vacuum line leak. Again, with engine running, use vice grips to pinch off vacuum lines to HVAC control to eliminate all those connections as being the source of a leak.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #3

IIRC the evap on carbed chevys is a pretty simple system.
First off, get the correct gas cap. Having a vented or missing one affects the evap system.
I suspect the evap failure is either due to the gas cap or missing components since I cant think of a functional test. Since RV emisions can differ from trucks (due to GVW) and CA can differ from other states, you'll need to look for a sticker showing the components and hose routing to determine what needs to be there. Generally it's just a evap canister with inlet hoses going to carb and tank. Outlet is generally plumbed to PCV line.
Timing could be as simple as setting to original specs.
I'm really glad I don't live in CA.
garys 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #4

Man... San Diego has an oversized vehicle band... If your found on any street from 2-6 am u get a 130.00 ticket!?!?!?
WhoolaWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys 68 View Post
IIRC the evap on carbed chevys is a pretty simple system.
First off, get the correct gas cap. Having a vented or missing one affects the evap system.
I suspect the evap failure is either due to the gas cap or missing components since I cant think of a functional test. Since RV emisions can differ from trucks (due to GVW) and CA can differ from other states, you'll need to look for a sticker showing the components and hose routing to determine what needs to be there. Generally it's just a evap canister with inlet hoses going to carb and tank. Outlet is generally plumbed to PCV line.
Timing could be as simple as setting to original specs.
I'm really glad I don't live in CA.
My '84 Jeep Cherokee had a thermatic vacuum switch in the EVAP canister purge line to the carb. It was mounted on the intake, in the water jacket, with 7 vacuum ports on it. 1.25" wrench required to remove. Mine was dead, and no vacuum flow even with engine at operating temp for 20 minutes. (I failed emissions too.)

I've seen Jeep, Dodge and Ford V-8s with these switches. Chevy may have it too. Be aware of it, just in case. But I also agree with the other replies. Replace gas cap first. It's cheap, it failed anyway, and isn't as much of a pain to replace.