Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Anyone Ever Done This?

To those around me, it must be obvious I am getting bored and anxious for spring. I installed a central vacuum system to our MH. I had an almost never used, Kirby upright Vac that was sitting in the corner of my shop. Under the dinette of the MH is a storage space we never use because it is too much trouble to remove the seat to access it (according to my wife).

I took the Kirby, removed all unneeded parts (handle ect.) Then, I tapped into the ON/Off switch of the Vac and ran 2 wires to an outboard switch I mounted on the wall of the storage unit. For the hose connection, I anchored the vac to the floor and used a hole saw to line up and cut a 2" hole allowing access the front of the unit.

Then I cut and installed 2 air flow grills, one to the side of the seat storage compartment and another to the front (where your feet would be if sitting at the dinette), This should allow enough air to flow to the Vac to prevent overheating. I have gathers enough hose (in two sections) to reach from the windshield to the back wall. If nothing else, I have made a little more storage space in the basement, because I don't have to lug a vacuum any longer.

All in all this was no big deal, but to my wife it was. I learned long time ago, if she is happy, life is good.

TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
That's a good idea like to see it and how it turn out. Also keeping the wife happy always makes for a good day !!!!

Mark Anderson - Nebo NC - western NC - RV Restoration tech - 9 Doggies - Outdoors person
1990 33ft Wilderness Cimarron 33X
nightriderrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Not sure if this works, but trying to add photos on this projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4476.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	35956   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4479.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	35957  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4482.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	35958   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4484.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	35959  

Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
Not sure if this works, but trying to add photos on this projects.
That is one really cool idea, and it looks well planned and installed. Kudoo's to you. Kirby would probably think its cool too.
BuckeyeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Thanks Buckeye, I had fun doing it and my wife thinks I did it for her. Actually, I was tired lugging a shop vac from a storage locker to the cabin and back. Plus, in most cases, I ended up doing the vacuuming too. This way she has not excuse. Time will tell if I can get away with not having to use it

Old 03-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
You took my idea,I was going to do the same thing but let the vac.exhaust go outside and get rid of the bag.Its not like I would be dumping a lot of trash out and I would not need to bother with cleaning the bag.I thought of using a dryer exhaust tube and put a hole in the box leading out and down.
1989 mobile traveler 30' MH, 2002 honda valkyrie motorcycle toad,Grants Pass,Or
biker art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Biker, the Kirby would be a good one to use. It actually has a hose. The hose is inside the cloth bag, that connect to a "paper" bag. I thought about doing the same. But, my luck, I would vacuum up a screw or nail, blow it out and then run over it as I drove off ---

Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It must be vacuum week. I have my new Intervac half installed. Just need to mount the power unit in the basement and connect the hose and wires that run to the in-cabin outlet. Amazingly simple. Pics to come when done.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This kind of project just sucks.....
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Looks like a job well done, however my MH already has a central vac installed. It's under the fridg. Close to where you have put yours.
cook elandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
I made mine out of a old craftman shop vac. Put the shop vac in my front storrage and put a central vac connection through the wall. Did the same setup for switch. Wife loves it.

cwit is offline   Reply With Quote