Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Anyone familiar with Amerigo from mid 70's

Hello everybody and thanks for your time.
We have a change to get a full size Amerrigo Slide in Camper but we never heard anything about them since we are really new into the RV world.
It seems to have a kind of slide out on the back, a bath/shower and don't think they came with AC back then neither a refrigerator most likely an icebox.
Main question is if they are good campers and if is worth it 2K.
Anything that we should look in particular before getting into it?
Please any input will be appreciated!

Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Amerigo campers were built in the northwest, somewhere in Washington I believe. I'm not sure when they began, but the last ones were probably built around the late 70s. The company was around for about another 15 years, and also made travel trailers, but I don't think they continued making campers. They are very unique with the side entry and expandable bed on the back, and the fact they're made of fiberglass. And they are LARGE.

Living in the northwest, I see them show up for sale now and then. Unless it is in REALLY good shape, I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near $2000. The last few I have seen for sale topped out at around $1200, and were on the market for at least a couple of months. One was down to $600 the last time I talked to the seller. Another one recently started out at $500, and then over a period of a couple of months dropped to $200, then $100.

Amerigo campers are probably like Studebakers and Ramblers. Nobody wants them, and they aren't worth much until them become collectible. Which may or may not be in my lifetime.

I've never seen one without a refrigerator. If you find one without, someone probably removed it. And a 40 year old camper with the refrigerator removed is just about worthless because of the expense of replacing it. A working refrigerator is usually the most valuable item in an old camper.

If you're in the northwest they're not rare, just not real common. Elsewhere around the country they're probably pretty scarce. So if you really want one you may pay a premium for it. It all depends on how badly you want it.

Jim Price
curmudgeon: noun; a crusty, ill-tempered, irascible, cantankerous old person . . . .
79 27' Holiday Rambler Statesman, 78 32' HR Imperial, 85 36' HR Imperial 5th Wheel
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
In the day, they were generally pretty nice - but HEAVY!
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
They were a great camper, but heavy.

The Snap & Nap feature on the rear would swing out and up to create a bunk.

It's almost impossible to find a suitable one now. Old age and many have/had water leaks causing damage.

Really cool looking.

Name:   Amerigo.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  29.3 KB
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote