Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:08 AM   #1

Anyone whose roof ac's AND engine/front AC and heater no longer working

Wondering if anyone is using the newer version of these type of units in their RV?
LG Electronics 10,200 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function with LCD Remote-LP1017WSR - The Home Depot

Need all the raves, comments and downfalls you'll have please!!

And 6x16 has become 6x12 inside....
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The A/C unit is portable, on wheels. It weighs 65 lbs. That's quite a 'missile' rolling around in an RV! It's only 10,200 BTU, less capacity than even a small rooftop A/C. It still needs to have the heat duct extended to a window, why not just install a window unit? I'd save my money and buy a proper rooftop unit for a few $100 more. No duct to a window, no condensation tank to empty, no floor space given up for an air conditioner.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The A/C unit is portable, on wheels. It weighs 65 lbs. That's quite a 'missile' rolling around in an RV! It's only 10,200 BTU, less capacity than even a small rooftop A/C. It still needs to have the heat duct extended to a window, why not just install a window unit? I'd save my money and buy a proper rooftop unit for a few $100 more. No duct to a window, no condensation tank to empty, no floor space given up for an air conditioner.
Roof air is a simple thing an can be repaired depending on the problem. I had one on my vintage trailer and it had a bad bearing in the motor. I took it off the roof and rebuilt the motor with new bronze bearings. Worked great after that. I also had a class B that had the dash ac removed by a previous owner. Since it was a 77 it would have cost big bucks to replace Forget it. I used a window ac and a small dash 12v fan to move the air around.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #4

I have talked to people about those portable room a.c. units. Never had anyone say much good about them. For what that is worth. They are not inexpensive either, close to 400 is what I have seen.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:
I actually have two small basically brand new window units I bought for this place I rent that I figured I would put in but then I wasn't sure how that would work out while traveling or safety attachment wise. I have an idea in my head how to attach them in a window and bolt them down but get nervous when it actually comes to doing so.
Plus I read a blog that popped up when I googled "installing window units in an RV" and the comments were along the lines of trailer trash and redneckery not that I care what people think.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCamper View Post
I have talked to people about those portable room a.c. units. Never had anyone say much good about them. For what that is worth. They are not inexpensive either, close to 400 is what I have seen.
Its called fall sales and winter buying when things for other months are deeply reduced to make room for heaters, LOL The one I linked is 319 and I've seen them as low as 260.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
Roof air is a simple thing an can be repaired depending on the problem. I had one on my vintage trailer and it had a bad bearing in the motor. I took it off the roof and rebuilt the motor with new bronze bearings. Worked great after that. I also had a class B that had the dash ac removed by a previous owner. Since it was a 77 it would have cost big bucks to replace Forget it. I used a window ac and a small dash 12v fan to move the air around.
Well, I'll certainly let you come on over and fix mine, LOL. The front one comes on and sounds fine but doesnt cool and the rear one doesn't come on at all. But I have checked breakers for it or anything either.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
I actually have two small basically brand new window units I bought for this place I rent that I figured I would put in but then I wasn't sure how that would work out while traveling or safety attachment wise. I have an idea in my head how to attach them in a window and bolt them down but get nervous when it actually comes to doing so.
Plus I read a blog that popped up when I googled "installing window units in an RV" and the comments were along the lines of trailer trash and redneckery not that I care what people think.
My suggestion of a window unit was tongue-in-cheek. Doesn't an '91 HR Imperial have rooftop A/C units? Have you explored what it would take to get them running?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
My suggestion of a window unit was tongue-in-cheek. Doesn't an '91 HR Imperial have rooftop A/C units? Have you explored what it would take to get them running?
Tongue in cheek........exactly my point and the reason for questioning these standing ones.
No, I haven't checked on the rooftop expense because I am giving over 300 to repair leaks and replace a faucet that supposedly came from a boat of all things and the tune up and oil change, shocks struts, etc etc etc......
State will get an extra 300 from me due to the wrong date being on the title compared to when I actually purchased it, still gotta get tires and so on.
So I guess Rvers don't think someone deserves to roll down the road if they are reduced to window units no matter how well they were put in.

Tags
engine, heat, heater, roof