Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #1

Foretravel Owners Club
Apollo Sceptre

I am looking for any information on this coach. All I know is it was built by Apollo from late '81-late'84. It was a diesel pusher. I would love to any info/pics available on this rare coach. I can't find anything on the web or the yahoo Apollo group. Thanks all.
James
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You mean something like this?
I don't know anything about the coach but found these pics by going to Google images and searching for Apollo Sceptre.

Good luck with your search. Looks like a cool old motorhome!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #3

jholder,
We bought a Sceptre as our first MH. It was a used 1982. I think I still have some info about it. Had a 8.2 Detroit Diesel V8. Four speed Allison xmission. It was on an Oskosh chassis. Had a Kohler propane generator. Some came with Cat engines. They only made about 50 or so of them. When it was new it listed for $175,000. I think I still have an old owners list. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Greg
kallcomm@live.com
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Hi, Thanks for the responses. I was starting to think none of these existed any longer. I had seen some several years ago but nothing recently. I own Foretravel and love it. The Scepter always caught my fancy though and recently one showed up near me. It looks really rough though. I wanted info before I tried to take a closer look in case I wound up bringing it home. Thanks again
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
jholder, my name is Dennis and I am the proud owner of a mint condition 1983 Apollo Sceptre. I am trying to locate and log as many of the 44 Sceptres ever made. I would appreciate your assistance in locating and contacting the owners of the Sceptre in your area. I am also more than happy to assist you with any questions on Sceptres as I can. There is both an Apollo Face Book page and a Yahoo Group-Apollo Motorhome Owners Group. I have over 40 photos of our Sceptre on the Yahoo group site. In advance, thanks and Semper Fi, Dennis and Cheryl
rfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #6

The google search found one in California listed as a 1985 model with an asking price of $33,900. What makes them worth so much? I have a 1984 Holiday Rambler and I'm positive I couldn't get even a fourth of that.
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #7

they were one of the finest M/H ever built and most owners are reluctant to part with them and therefore they ask top dollar for them
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Apollo Sceptre

Hello Quiet Water and Swamp Dog, yes, the Sceptre was one, if not the first high-end diesel pushers ever made and the base list price started at $175,000 and went up to over $200,000 in the mid 1980's. They were hand made, each taking over 3 months to build. There were only 44 confirmed Sceptres built from 1982-1984, with a couple later ones reported in 1985 and even one as late as 1989 or 1990. Not much is none about the later ones.

Quiet Water, were did you find the listing for the Sceptre for sale in CA? I would like to try to take a look at it and try to make contact with the seller and the new buyer. Thanks and Semper Fi, Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2235.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	7641   Click image for larger version

Name:	008_8_01.jpg
Views:	1665
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	7642  

Click image for larger version

Name:	030_30_01.jpg
Views:	2072
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	7643  
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #9

This is where I found it. It is the same picture as ones already shown. Sounds like a pristine Appollo. My main concern would be that it only has 16,000 miles on it. Just click on this big long URL title. (It was automatically generated after I put in the URL).

Apollo - National Multi List, The Largest Database of Used RVs & Your #1 Source to Buy and Sell Used RVs | Homes | Boats | Fifth Wheels | Mobile Homes | Campers | Mobile & Manufactured Homes | Real Estate | Land | Rental Properties
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
QuietWater, were do you live, if not close by, I maybe able to check it out for you. I know what you mean by the extreamily low miles, but that worry can be confirmed or dispelled with an inspection and test drive. As a Sceptre owner, I think this unit is worth looking at, Sceptres were and are a class all their own. I am going to call the seller to see what I can learn and to make contact with him and/or the new buyer. Thanks for the info, I was not able to locate this unit on my own. S/F, Dennis
Old 11-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfort View Post
jholder, my name is Dennis and I am the proud owner of a mint condition 1983 Apollo Sceptre. I am trying to locate and log as many of the 44 Sceptres ever made. I would appreciate your assistance in locating and contacting the owners of the Sceptre in your area. I am also more than happy to assist you with any questions on Sceptres as I can. There is both an Apollo Face Book page and a Yahoo Group-Apollo Motorhome Owners Group. I have over 40 photos of our Sceptre on the Yahoo group site. In advance, thanks and Semper Fi, Dennis and Cheryl
Good Afternoon Cheryl & Dennis,

My name is John, & I have just purchased an Apollo Sceptre in CA...Next week I plan driving it back to Ontario Canada. While I have had Motor Homes in the past this is my first Apollo so as you can imagine I have lots of questions:

The first is do you or anyone else no of anything I should look for prior to leaving LA. I have had the oild & filter changed & requested that all belts & hoses be changed as necessary. I am quite handy mechanically & do not mind working on vehicles but I would hate to be stranded somewhere with something simple. So any advice would be appreciated. I have been lead to believe everything works well with the exception of the voltmeter in the dash.

Looking forward to receiving your reply........John
bnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #12

Good Afternoon Cheryl & Dennis,

My name is John, & I have just purchased an Apollo Sceptre in CA...Next week I plan driving it back to Ontario Canada. While I have had Motor Homes in the past this is my first Apollo so as you can imagine I have lots of questions:

The first is do you or anyone else no of anything I should look for prior to leaving LA. I have had the oild & filter changed & requested that all belts & hoses be changed as necessary. I am quite handy mechanically & do not mind working on vehicles but I would hate to be stranded somewhere with something simple. So any advice would be appreciated. I have been lead to believe everything works well with the exception of the voltmeter in the dash.

Looking forward to receiving your reply........John
bnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning John, congratulations on joining the few, the proud-the Sceptre owners! Ask Chad to give you my phone number and please give me a call. Note: I am leaving for a 7 day cruise tomorrow (Sunday) at 4 PM, so I will not be able to get to my e-mails and/or phone calls until the following Sunday. I wish I could meet up with you before you head home and show you my Sceptre (you can see it on YouTube-1983 Sceptre Part 1 and Part 2). When do you leave SoCal? As for your request about things you should do before you head home-always check tires, the only thing that really matters is the date of the tires-5-7 years old is as old as you should ever travel on. If you blow a 22.5' tire, it will do untold damage and ruin your very rare Sceptre, your's is number 7 of 44.
I saw your Sceptre, but it was before it was detailed, I wish I could see it now, the on-line photos made it look pretty nice. I would like to stay in touch with you as you get to know and enjoy your Sceptre. Semper Fi, Dennis
Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
John,
I want to give you some advice and info on towing your Sceptre,should you ever find yourself in that situation. First, I would not move it until you have personally checked all 6 Department of Transportation Date of manufacturing located on the sidewalls of every tire. It is a 4 digit number with the first two digits giving the week of the year and the last two digits of the year in which it was manufactured. The inside duals will have the worst heat and road wear. If the tires look like they have little, to no cracking on the sidewall and otherwise are in good shape, I would run them no more than 7 years old. If they look worse for the wear, than use them no more than 5 years.

I recommend that you have "good" tow/roadside service insurance (we use Good Sam and have had good service), you will be driving a 30 year old, 35' 27,000 lbs. motor home quite a distance. From my personal experience, the Sceptre can and should be towed on a flatbed heavy duty tow truck. The Sceptre is only 10' 6" at the top of the A/C units and can be towed that way. If towed from the front bumber with the rear tire on the road, it must be a heavy duty tow truck equipped with an auxiliary air supply system that can be hooked to the Sceptre's air tank (located mid-ship, near the entry step) to keep the air-ride air bags inflated. In addition the drive shaft must be disconnected and "marked" as it is balanced-make sure the Tow Driver does not lose any of the "needle" bearings, etc. When towed this way the Sceptre's rear bumper will be very close to dragging and the Tow Driver must be extremely careful. Should you break down on your trip home call me and we can discuss a plan of action as to how to locate parts etc. I hope we can talk prior to you leaving the LA area. As I told you in a previous post, we leave tomorrow for a week long cruise and we get back in town on Dec. 4th.
Happy Trails and Semper Fi, Dennis