Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 AM   #15

Sure sounds better than sitting around waiting to die.

What would you be doing if you don't take this trip?

Some one said "You will regret the things that you didn't do more than the things you did."
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #16
bap

well said halfright,,well said !!!-----i agree 100 %..
Old 09-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #17

Other than I would take a towed and try to spend two nights minimum most places just to look around I don't see a problem.... ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #18

I'm still working for decades yet, and I think you should do it. Go, be happy. If you don't like it, you can always just drive home.

I have no advice to give other than do what you feel will make you happy. What others feel or think you should do takes a back seat to you and your partner making a plan to make you happy, and then acting on it.

The only specific addition I can make for you was advice I got years ago, and I invite others to either endorse or correct, but I was told that the PCH is better driven south rather than north.

I was told that there are many areas that are quite beautiful and wonderful to drive. But north bound you are often looking at the mountain sides, or the jiffy lubes, and the strip malls. Southbound, you are looking at the ocean and the beach, and the shore line.

Other than that, the answer to your original question is "yes".
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #19

I'm way off from retirement, but I say go for it. A couple months ago I purchased a 1981 Southwind for the purpose of diving a nearly 2100 mile round trip to pick up some stuff for my mother in law that lives with us. I spent a good amount of time fixing things and getting it ready, but we returned last night and had very few issues. Nothing that left us stranded. It was me, my wife and 10 year son. We spent 3 nights in walmart parking lots and had not issues at all there.
My only caution is that I feel someone doing this in an older/unknown RV should be skilled in repairs. In this I mean fixing issues that pop up on the RV side and things attached to the engine, transmission and drive train. If you can do this, you're not dependent on repair shops for anything but major repairs.
I just got back and I am thinking of our next trip that doesn't involve actual work!
arcaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #20

CaptainGeezer,

I hope you know that you have asked three different questions....
A - Can I do this is with a 1991 (pretty new) coach?
B - Can we do about 7K miles (my plan) in Seven Months?
C- What should I add to the list of things to fix?

A - Sure, our coach is a little older (much older) and 12K mi a year and have only been on a hook once in the last nine years.
B - Sure, but make sure you plan some slow time. That may only be 50mi/day, but you don't have to do it every day.
C - Add these things:
* Replace all the rubber you can find (includes brake and fuel lines). It has aged out even if it looks good.
* Flush the brake system. This is easy after you replace all the rubber lines.
* Check the tire age. The all have a DOT date code. None should be more than 7 years old by the time you GET HOME.
* Service all the lubricants, Flush the trans, refill the diff, repack the wheel bearings (a great time to inspect the brakes).
* Have the LP gas system inspected.
* Reseal the roof.

When you get done with that, go have a good time and take lots of pictures.

Matt
Old 09-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and support. And for the additional to do list items for preparation. The reason I asked this question to start with, is that we have friends and family that are trying (HARD) to talk us out of this trip. They feel ol' "Classy" is just too old to handle that distance and that I'm too old to fix her WHEN she breaks down. Plus they are very concerned about my inexperience with RV travel and driving through the mountains. They don't seem to remember (or care) that I drove semis OTR for several years back in the seventies. At any rate it's good to know that people "in the know" feel we have embarked on a doable "once in a lifetime" experience and are backing us up on our descision. Again, thank you all for easing my mind that maybe we were just kidding ourselves about being able to pull this off. "Westward Ho!"
CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:37 AM   #22

Captain,

I’ve known people in their late 40s or 50’s that were old, either because they neglected or abused their bodies or they just felt old, and yes some that were just plainly unlucky. However, there’s much to be said about age being a state of mind. As for me, I’ll just keep on keepin’ on and enjoy my life.

Here’s a photo of me at the age of 67, taken last summer during my RV’s engine replacement.

I’m now 68, yesterday my 39 year old daughter and I spent the day floating the San Marcos River in inner tubes. In a week I’ll be headed for a month in Ruidoso NM and after that Sierra Vista AZ where I intend to spend the next few month’s quail hunting around the area. Next summer I’m hoping to get a job at one of the national parks as an interpretive geologist for the tourists.

My best advice is to tell your naysayer “friends” to get a life and quit telling you how to lead yours. And remember…

"Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out with a huge smile on your face, shouting... HOLY SXXX...WHAT A RIDE!”

Steve

PS if you need inspiration read the book “My Life of Adventure” by Norman Vaughan. Here’s a Wikipedia article about Norman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_D._Vaughan
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Captain,

I’ve known people in their late 40s or 50’s that were old, either because they neglected or abused their bodies or they just felt old, and yes some that were just plainly unlucky. However, there’s much to be said about age being a state of mind. As for me, I’ll just keep on keepin’ on and enjoy my life.

Here’s a photo of me at the age of 67, taken last summer during my RV’s engine replacement.

I’m now 68, yesterday my 39 year old daughter and I spent the day floating the San Marcos River in inner tubes. In a week I’ll be headed for a month in Ruidoso NM and after that Sierra Vista AZ where I intend to spend the next few month’s quail hunting around the area. Next summer I’m hoping to get a job at one of the national parks as an interpretive geologist for the tourists.

My best advice is to tell your naysayer “friends” to get a life and quit telling you how to lead yours. And remember…

"Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out with a huge smile on your face, shouting... HOLY SXXX...WHAT A RIDE!”

Steve

PS if you need inspiration read the book “My Life of Adventure” by Norman Vaughan. Here’s a Wikipedia article about Norman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_D._Vaughan
I like that. That's a good attitude
Old 09-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Crazy? Yea, my kind of crazy.

Birds of a feather here.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Crazy? Yea, my kind of crazy.

Birds of a feather here.
X3
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #26

Go ye forth and be adventurous.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #27

Sounds like an awesome trip to me, go for it.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CaptainGeezer,

Are you kidding me? Don't listen to the nay sayers, take your trip and to heck with them. Also, keep good records and let me know since I want to do this too in two years when I retire.

Our kids are a bit concerned that we won't come home and they may be right. I want to go see all kinds of places and when I don't have to be "back to work on Monday" I plan to stay out until I WANT TO COME BACK!

What have you worked for all these years if not for the freedom to wonder at your leisure. Go and have fun!

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent