RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #85

vagrant????

I know how that is. my partner and I were travel nurses in California. we took the RV to Monterey to scuba dive, had a great time, spent a lot of money being tourists. went to the aquarium etc.
when we got back to the rv,(we were at the aquarium 3 hrs) parked on a street with no signs forbidding it we found that it had been sabotaged by one of the people who live there.(he owned up to it to the police)
It was brand new, totally clean, licensed and registered and when we took it there it ran beautifully.
the man came out with a baseball bat and threatened us. we were unable to drive away because he had put water and sugar in our tank. the police were called and we were told we could not stay with our vehicle and would face arrest if we stayed in the neighborhood. we left. needless to say we came back first thing in the morning and the maniac who lives there had taken his baseball bat to every surface of the vehicle destroying what was a beautiful rig. we had called a tow truck to meet us there and the guy with the bat continued to threaten him too. As registered nurses we were far from homeless or destitute and could prove it had the police ever bothered to look at what we were offering as ID. we each owned a home one in Kansas City and one in St Louis as well as a large tract of land in southern Missouri. we were bringing in 250K/year we were shocked at the total lunacy of the situation. I get it that there is a rampant homeless problem but to treat people like that merely because they are in an RV is insane. I fault the police as well since they did nothing to protect our property after forcing us to leave it. Needless to say we left California with a very bad feeling towards it and will never again offer our services in their hospitals. we will spend our vacations and discretionary income in any state but Ca.

davielle422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 12:05 AM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davielle422 View Post
I know how that is. my partner and I were travel nurses in California. we took the RV to Monterey to scuba dive, had a great time, spent a lot of money being tourists. went to the aquarium etc.

when we got back to the rv,(we were at the aquarium 3 hrs) parked on a street with no signs forbidding it we found that it had been sabotaged by one of the people who live there.(he owned up to it to the police)

It was brand new, totally clean, licensed and registered and when we took it there it ran beautifully.

the man came out with a baseball bat and threatened us. we were unable to drive away because he had put water and sugar in our tank. the police were called and we were told we could not stay with our vehicle and would face arrest if we stayed in the neighborhood. we left. needless to say we came back first thing in the morning and the maniac who lives there had taken his baseball bat to every surface of the vehicle destroying what was a beautiful rig. we had called a tow truck to meet us there and the guy with the bat continued to threaten him too. As registered nurses we were far from homeless or destitute and could prove it had the police ever bothered to look at what we were offering as ID. we each owned a home one in Kansas City and one in St Louis as well as a large tract of land in southern Missouri. we were bringing in 250K/year we were shocked at the total lunacy of the situation. I get it that there is a rampant homeless problem but to treat people like that merely because they are in an RV is insane. I fault the police as well since they did nothing to protect our property after forcing us to leave it. Needless to say we left California with a very bad feeling towards it and will never again offer our services in their hospitals. we will spend our vacations and discretionary income in any state but Ca.

This all sounds too amazing. You have an easily winnable civil case against mr baseball bat. Why did you not pursue it?

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:14 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bohr View Post
Just my two cents re the homeless: Why can't cities buy the box trailers and outfit them for bathrooms, showers, etc.? Some could be allotted for living in. You can get one that doesn't leak for 1500. or less and to out fit them with cots, bedding, etc. wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. It could all be donated. They could build a village and the boxes are much better than sleeping on the street in winter. Any organization could handle this. A church, a parish, could all sponsor a box and outfit it. Land would be the biggest problem, but I understand there are tent cities around the country side. These need to be removed and better facilities put in. It would certainly give better shelter than the streets. They could be divided into family units etc. It should be feasible if everyone could just cooperate where ever homeless people are. At least it's a step in the right direction.

You donít understand the majority of homeless. There is rampant drug addiction and other mental issues. The majority of them would destroy whatever is given to them, and use whatever money they can panhandle or steal to feed their addiction. You want this in your backyard? This is why the area around homeless shelters can easily become blighted, crime ridden and dangerous.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bohr View Post
Just my two cents re the homeless: Why can't cities buy the box trailers and outfit them for bathrooms, showers, etc.? Some could be allotted for living in. You can get one that doesn't leak for 1500. or less and to out fit them with cots, bedding, etc. wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. It could all be donated. They could build a village and the boxes are much better than sleeping on the street in winter. Any organization could handle this. A church, a parish, could all sponsor a box and outfit it. Land would be the biggest problem, but I understand there are tent cities around the country side. These need to be removed and better facilities put in. It would certainly give better shelter than the streets. They could be divided into family units etc. It should be feasible if everyone could just cooperate where ever homeless people are. At least it's a step in the right direction.
Letís not try to solve the homeless problem here. Weíve got plenty of experts working on it, spending billions of dollars and the situation is worse than itís ever been. No need for any of us to get involved.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #89

Funny how the earths countries have trillions of dollars to wage war, but no money to address homeless people, or health needs of everyday people. Im sure if they turned the military budget into taking care of domestic problems, our world would be a better place, and the streets wouldn't be littered with homeless people. In turn our rvs wouldn't be a target for people trying to stop boondockers. I get a kick out of all the stealth campers people are making to fool everyone so they can park without being harassed.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #90
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Funny how the earths countries have trillions of dollars to wage war, but no money to address homeless people, or health needs of everyday people. Im sure if they turned the military budget into taking care of domestic problems, our world would be a better place, and the streets wouldn't be littered with homeless people. In turn our rvs wouldn't be a target for people trying to stop boondockers. I get a kick out of all the stealth campers people are making to fool everyone so they can park without being harassed.

I think the problem is, as evidenced by some of these posts, is people really believe that homeless people are homeless because they want to be or are lazy or somehow their fault. That may be the case for many but the majority are just there because they got dealt a bad hand. Many had done everything right and when the economy took a dump it didn't take long for one missed house payment to snowball into disaster.

I blew through my savings and IRA because who knew the economy was gonna tank as bad and as long. I came real close to loosing my house.

My God Father had a great job his entire life but right before he retired the company he worked for went bankrupt and he lost his pension. He owned his house and a vehicle, all he needed was help with food. The state would not give him food stamps until he sold his house and his vehicle. It would have been a lot cheaper for the state to just allow him to get food stamps occasionally.

If banks would have just forgiven a few late payments and tacked them on to the end of the loan a lot of people would still be living indoors.

It was and still is a mess for people just getting by. It's easy to say just get an education and get a good paying job but just because it was easy for one person does not make it easy for everyone. And I'd wager a lot of homeless people do have an education but those magical high or even livable wage jobs are not as plentiful as people want us to believe.

Mile in their shoes thing.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #91

Baseball bat-swinging crazies? Sugar in the gas tank!? As Canadians considering a trip across the US with our TT, should we just avoid the whole state of California or just parts of it? Thanks for your help. It's so unfortunate that this problem exists in your wonderful country!
larryanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I don't get it. You were not a patient or customer of a business so they asked you to leave.

This is kind of a non story.

I see this all the time on forums, people do not read all the post and then respond about something totally different. He was in a strip mall which means more than one business, he was not in a private business parking lot.
Doc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #93

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Funny how the earths countries have trillions of dollars to wage war, but no money to address homeless people, or health needs of everyday people. Im sure if they turned the military budget into taking care of domestic problems, our world would be a better place, and the streets wouldn't be littered with homeless people. .
Leave the nation defenseless to feed the homeless. You obviously understand neither homelessness nor national defense. If you want to solve homelessness, go do it. What is your annual monetary or time contribution to the issue? But leave my nation's defense to the professionals.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #94
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc12 View Post
I see this all the time on forums, people do not read all the post and then respond about something totally different. He was in a strip mall which means more than one business, he was not in a private business parking lot.
I read all the post.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 AM   #95

Friday I went to one of he seedier parts of LA county to a metal supply place. Hadn't been there in a few years. It sits on a large frontage road to a railroad track. Every street in the area is signed to prohibit the parking of either long or tall vehicles - given that this is an industrial area, it makes it tough on the businesses that need to park a truck.

The two pictures are along the railroad track. Because it's railroad right-of-way the city can't sign it. This continues for miles. Under one of the freeway overpasses there were five old RVs. Between the RVs were huge piles of refuse - i mean piles the size of cars. The railroad had used a ripper to plow up unoccupied sections of shoulder to make the dirt higher than the bottom of RVs to discourage parking.

On my way home I stopped at Gunny Ermey's Brewery in Palmdale, and instead of jumping back on the 14, drove through Palmdale and Lancaster until I hit dirt and turned back toward the freeway from there. I was surprised to see a large homeless encampment in the creosote bushes, nearly completely hidden. About a block farther down, 9 old RVs made up another encampment. Trash and debris everywhere.

So now some of you will get the picture - literally if not figuratively.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3070.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	234691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3071.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	234692  

VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Leave the nation defenseless to feed the homeless. You obviously understand neither homelessness nor national defense. If you want to solve homelessness, go do it. What is your annual monetary or time contribution to the issue? But leave my nation's defense to the professionals.
We run an annual charity event, and give the money to the food shelter. How about you. Pretty sure it wouldn't cost trillions of dollars to deal with homeless people.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #97

Quote:
We run an annual charity event, and give the money to the food shelter. How about you. Pretty sure it wouldn't cost trillions of dollars to deal with homeless people.
It might. Last year there were 553,000 living homeless in the US. As an example, Los Angeles spends approximately $10,000 per person each year. It may not be accurate to apply that figure as a national average, but letís give it a shot. On both the calculator and paper it comes out to 5,530,000,000. It adds up quickly and does not include the costs incurred by volunteers like yourself.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #98

Thumbs down Califorina

After reading most of this thread I am thinking about dropping CA off my Western USA trip for this summer.