Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #1

Astro Allegro owners wanted

I recently bought a 1988 Astro Allegro in perfect shape and am doing some major remods on it, making it as self-sufficient, solar, boon docking rig as I can make it. I'd love to find some other owners to connect with as I am beginning to gather just how rare this rig is.

One major question I have is how sound the whole thing is in its ability to carry weight. I'm getting rid of the new ac unit on top, getting rid of the bathroom too to make way for a bigger fridg, etc.

Anyone Astro Allegro owners out there? Hope so!

Thanks,
Daniel
wildistheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #2

Astro Allegro Owner Too !

Hi Daniel,

I just joined today, after reading your post ! I also have a 1988 Astro Allegro, which I bought 3 years ago in a neglected state for $2800.00 I have done much, had all windows taken down and re-sealed, new floors ( no carpet), changed front bumper and the list is endless. I have included one picture of the interior.

Please feel free to email me. I have two questions, as well. What is the correct air pressure for the airbags? and What is the tow capacity and tongue weight for that hitch tongue on the rear bumper?

Debra
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Allegro Original Ad.bmp (773.5 KB, 474 views)
File Type: bmp New Floors- Allegro.bmp (720.1 KB, 363 views)
Boomer-1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Howdy folks,
Didn't even know they made them. The are cool looking, I wish my floors looked like yours great job.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #4

Hi There,

I can't recall about the air bags pressure. Les Schawb can tell you. Don't know about the tongue weight either. I wouldn't really want to tow anything big considering it's a six cylinder. Does your awning work? I need to get some replacement parts for mine. Getting ready to hit the road for a long trip!

Where are you located?

Daniel
Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #5

Hi Daniel and Spritz,

Thank you for your comments. The floors came from Home Depot. I did the entire floor with trim for about $ 250.00. No more carpet. The cab I bought a $ 10.00 truck bed liner ( that probably cost $200.00) from the junk yard Pick and Pull, and trimmed it to fit the front cab. First, I did not want to spend hundreds on replacement carpet and secondly, I knew it would just get dirty again because of the in and out. It works great. Picture Attached.

I also included when the entire unit was emptied for floor installation.

I agree Daniel, this unit cannot tow much. I recently purchased a used Wheeless Trailer, cargo box that lock and slides into a receiver. The thing is the adapter you can purchased that attaches to the square bumper is not made for too much weight. I really do not want to spend too much have a hitch installed to the frame just to put a cargo box on. I am concerned though because that " tongue" is just attached to our square bumper and not the frame.

I do not have an awning on mine. I just put up a screened large tent when camping for outdoor tables and shelter from both sun and pests.

Once, I can get my power point fixed, I will upload the many stages I have gone through.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and often camp in San Benito County and Monterey area.

Debra
Old 08-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Here are the photos....
Attached Images
File Type: bmp weatherguard mat.bmp (718.2 KB, 222 views)
File Type: bmp Allegro Emptied.bmp (781.9 KB, 253 views)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #7

Photo with Updates

Daniel and Others,

The photo attached shows upgrades I have made.

I replaced the original flimsy white bumper with one I bought from a junk yard off of a Chevy Astro Conversion Van. I repainted it and it provides much more protection so that when you do bump up against something you have not dented your bumper. I also installed chrome trim around all the wheel wells.

The windows have all been resealed and I have had a rear mud guard installed in the rear. It had to be re-sized to a small width but worked out really well.

Currently, I am replacing all of the red and yellow lights across the top of both the front and rear and sides. I just wanted all of them to be new as the old ones were showing the wear and tear along with falling apart inside. I will post those photos once finished.

Debra
Old 08-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #8

Here is the photo........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers SideNew Bumper.png
Views:	1883
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	71157  
Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #9

Forgot to mention, that I was lucky enough to buy a set of never used Chevy wheels covers on Ebay. This allowed me to get rid of those black center caps. I have included a picture of both the old and new on.

I also came across the original ad on Craigslist when I bought this neglected unit.

Debra
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wheel Cover Allegro.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	71161  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp before and after wheels.bmp (683.8 KB, 118 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Original Craigslist Ad.doc (36.5 KB, 143 views)
Old 08-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #10

Astro Allegro remods

Hey Astro Allegro friends,

Nice upgrades, especially on the bumper! I'll have to look for one. Fortunately my rig was in superb condition when I bought it, only $50K on it and a new trans still under warranty, everything worked perfect, all for $3800. Whewww . . . one of the best deals of my life! It left me with the funds to apply to a lot of remods including those in the attached pictures. I Turned the front area into a dinette, that makes into an extra bed. I tore out the bathroom/shower (who wants to do their biz right opposite the kitchen anyway?! Better to just use the great outdoors or the closest restroom in my opinion!), save a lot of weight, and put in a 4 cubic foot fridge and extra propane tank where the old fridge was, and an outdoor shower attachment as well as a tankless propane hot water heater. Also added a huge solar panel on top and an AGM battery so were set for our trip from Hood River, OR up to Jasper National Park in Canada, down through Glacier and Yellowstone, a few weeks in Utah and park in Phoenix for the winter. If you're in route Allie (pet name for the rig) would like to meet yours!

Oh . . . just bought some 10ply new tires for the back! There is only one company that makes them and they are made in a brand new kind of eco-friendly process. Very cool!

Best,
Daniel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	71585   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	71586  

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	71587  
Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #11

Daniel,

You did a fantastic job, the cabinetry looks all the same. I will most likely remove my rear dinette and have a mattress made for the rear; so it is always a ready made bed.

I could easily give up the shower and the increased capacity of the fridge is nice too. I just can't give up the toilet.

You got a great deal! Looks like your awning is a bag awning type , which I am thinking of installing across the back ( 7ft in length). I really do not want the extra weight of a real heavy 18ft awning. Additionally, since my wheeless trailer is specifically for carrying a large cooler out of the way and not inside the coach, I think the added shade would be good. When I am done, I will post pictures. I installed new better shocks all around and also replaced the muffler to extend pass the rear tires. I did a lot of things because I am picky and not so much as it needed it. I didn't like the floating feeling with the original shocks and even though I did not smell back fumes, I felt better having the exhaust extended.

Could you provide a picture of the rear? And did you happen to come across the original brochure of this unit? The allegro 21 manual from the factory does not even talk about the return heat you get after running for a long period that heats up the water. I know there is a technical term but it escapes me now. I will try and see what tires I put on the rear, I know I increased the load capacity.

I really wish I could meet Allie, I am two years away from retiring young (52) and really can't wait. Did you install a Flat Screen? I had mine done and am really not happy with the location. I will put up pictures soon.

Debra
Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #12

Daniel,

Had a chance to check my rear tires. I put Pirelli Scorpion ATR M/S on the rear. I had a Lexus LX450 ( Lexus Land Cruiser) for 17 years and even though it came brand new with Michelin LTX Tires and every one swears by them, they had a real soft sidewall and caused a lot of sway. I switched to Pirelli's and the Land Cruiser handled much better and safer. What brand of tires did you put on the rear?
Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #13

Hi Debra,

I attach a picture of the back. It's the perfect spot for a bed with the dinette up front. Waiting for the flat screen to be delivered with a fold down bracket which I will mount under the rear cabinet so we can watch in bed in style! Also, you can see the little racks I put above the sink plus some southwest style rock art painted on the paneling. Fun! Ready to roll a week from today with my girlfriend who is flying up this weekend. What state do you live in? Are you on our way? Oh . . . the tires are Nokian made by Cooper I believe. $200 each but it feels good having the 10ply. Should last me a long time. I'm gonna stash Allie in Phoenix at a RV storage spot somewhere and pick up in Feb or March for a long return trip home or maybe take to Baja. Not sure.

I wonder how many of these units there are in existence. Any idea?

Best,
Daniel
Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #14

Hi Daniel,

I don't see your attached picture?

Debra