Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #1

Audio on Chassis electrical or Coach?

New guy here with a 94 Winnie Warrior 23. Replacing the old in-dash cassette stereo with new Pioneer. SWMBO and I tend to want music while parked, I'm thinking of wiring the new audio system's power to the coach battery instead of the chassis electrical.
My only concern is wether the audio system could encounter generator noise or any other glitch from the coach electrical. Anyone with similar experience?
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #2

Check your manual. My 93 Winnebago Vectra has a rocker switch on the dash that powers the radio when parked. I'm replacing our radio with one from Pioneer with the Bluetooth etc and all I'm doing is pulling the factory radio plug from the harness, solder splicing the new radio plugs to the old radio leads. The fun issue for me is finding a path for the mic thru the dash etc.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
New guy here with a 94 Winnie Warrior 23. Replacing the old in-dash cassette stereo with new Pioneer. SWMBO and I tend to want music while parked, I'm thinking of wiring the new audio system's power to the coach battery instead of the chassis electrical.
My only concern is wether the audio system could encounter generator noise or any other glitch from the coach electrical. Anyone with similar experience?
Are you thinking of putting speakers on the outside attached to the wall or in one of the storage compartments? How about a separate radio and speakers all in one in a storage compartment?
M-34RQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #4

I installed a switch on my 93 Allegro a couple of months ago. Works good . Now I can select the power source and listen to the radio when parked without having the ignition switch on. I left the memory power on the engine battery. Its an older pioneer stereo.
No interference when running on generator. I also connected the antenna to my batwing antenna for improved reception in the boondocks.
Soppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to wire it to the coach battery to keep everything simple.
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #6

Rick,

Before the depression we did a lot of boat work and had to answer this same question many times.

I'll make it simple.

Just wire the radio into the house bank and forget about it. It will never draw enough power to matter. Life is simpler if nothing non-engine is connected to the main engine start battery.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, chassis, electric, electrical