Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tim, When I bought this 5er about 2 years ago, the PO said that he never used the awning. But, when I first opened it, there was a few inch tear at the end. After having the awning out a few times camping and while parked at home, the tearing progressed to about 1 1/2'. I, then, used a rope material to tie the corner tight. As the picture shows, it has continued to tear, so, I just keep the awning closed, now.
Hope you get your mold issue fixed.

TEFFY, I'll have to go by the local RV shop and see if that will be a better choice. Thanks for the advice about ensuring the channel is clear. I'd hate to get the awning installed most of the way just to have to take it off to remove debris in the channel. Since I still have a S&B, the awning replacement will be done in the driveway. But, that CG build party does sound entertaining.

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #16

I'll check with a local shop that makes boat covers and the like on Monday, see what they say, and let you know.

Also, I watched a video on replacing the fabric and their advice was to spray the channels the fabric goes in with silicone spray to make it slide easier

Steve

Old 01-05-2016, 12:40 AM   #17

Rich, I checked with the shop today and was told our idea of cutting some off the part of the awning that attaches to the RV was very doable and the only adverse effect would be to shorten the awning length by whatever amount was cut off. I think that's what I will do. I guess it's a matter of deciding if the existing awning is worth the effort.

He also mentioned a spray product called 303 that was good for protecting the awning from sun damage (uv).

What kind of sewing machine do you have?

Steve
Old 01-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #18

I would recommend replacing the awning if the sun has started to eat the edge it's only a matter of time till you pull it to open it and it rips right of the camper and knocks you out. If you have four people it can be replaced in 15 minutes it's when you have to go up and down the ladder that it takes a little more time.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Rich, I checked with the shop today and was told our idea of cutting some off the part of the awning that attaches to the RV was very doable and the only adverse effect would be to shorten the awning length by whatever amount was cut off. I think that's what I will do. I guess it's a matter of deciding if the existing awning is worth the effort.
Not a good idea but doable. Changing the length of the awning will change where the roller stops either when retracting or extending not sure which. The problem you'll have is the position of the roller direction lock lever. You might not be able to reach the lever without having to climb up on the roof every time to extend the awning or having to use a ladder to retract.

I replaced the material last spring and was thinking about just using an awning shop to sew up a replacement and making it bigger until they pointed out the potential problem. Rather than doing the math to figure out outside roller diameter, fabric thickness, the increasing roller diameter with each turn,,,, I just stuck to the same size.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #20

I found a mobile RV tech here in Denver...I had him replace the awning on the trailer we sold - he did the entire job by himself! He had made himself a pulley device that he attached to the far end, went back to the ladder and fed it in while pulling a rope through the pulley that sucked it right in.

I would replace it as well, but I have no idea of your finances. Something to get by for awhile would be good, too.

Sweetbrier brings up a good point, too. My current rig has a shaft running down the arm to a lever near the bottom to switch the lock...if mine didn't hit, I'd be SOL.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #21

Another point the shop owner made was to be certain that all the sun damaged material was removed and I think what smcox1 is saying will happen if it is not.

Thanks for the info about the latch, I hadn't considered that.

Steve
Old 01-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #22

But the new material has been kept in a climate controlled area and hasn't been through the temperature extremes for 20 years. Also water does work its way in between the layers when its rolled up, that's why after each rain storm I unroll the awning to let it air dry. I just feel like if you're already going through the trouble of taking it off to sew might as well throw a new one on considering they don't cost that much. Which also brings up another topic, how are you removing it? There's a good chance you may not get it out without shredding it where the little cord goes into the channel on the bottom. So then you would have to fix the top and bottom and to me that's just wasting time and money. I know from experience, mine shredded exactly like the op's and to remove it from the roller the material was already so brittle I tore the material along the roller and then just pulled the cord out separately.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #23

I replaced my 17' A&E with a new one from Dyer for less than $200. The hardest part was to release the spring tension in the tube. They measure from arm to arm not the fabric. It took 2 of us 2 hours from start to finish.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by r___r View Post
My awning fabric has been tearing away from where it attaches to the trailer.

Is it possible to repair? If so, is it much cheaper to repair it, as opposed to replace? Is it a DIY fix?

I've found some awning fabric for about $130. I've measured the width of my fabric at 194".

Appreciate any advice or comments,

Rich
Go with TonyMac's idea. To fix that awning cover would be like trying to push rain back up to the cloud.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

He also mentioned a spray product called 303 that was good for protecting the awning from sun damage (uv).

Steve
Steve, if your awning material is good overall and the failure was because of a faulty attaching arrangement to the coach, I agree. But, if the awning material has been subjected to long years of many extremes of hot, wet and cold you may be spending good money on bad material. If the material is good you could add a strip patch to make up for what you have lost. Look up awning repair or sail maker shops in your area.

This is what the 303 is: Robot Check

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 01-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Steve
Quote:
Another point the shop owner made was to be certain that all the sun damaged material was removed and I think what smcox1 is saying will happen if it is not.

Steve
Steve, Good to know that it is possible to repair.
Thanks for checking on that. --(beverage toast smiley)--
It makes sense to have to remove enough fabric to get to good fabric for re-sewing. I have never sewed, so after your post, I'm contemplating contacting a local tarp company or an awning repair shop to do the sewing. I'll go by to inquire about price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcox1 View Post
I would recommend replacing the awning if the sun has started to eat the edge it's only a matter of time till you pull it to open it and it rips right of the camper and knocks you out. If you have four people it can be replaced in 15 minutes it's when you have to go up and down the ladder that it takes a little more time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcox1 View Post
But the new material has been kept in a climate controlled area and hasn't been through the temperature extremes for 20 years. Also water does work its way in between the layers when its rolled up, that's why after each rain storm I unroll the awning to let it air dry. I just feel like if you're already going through the trouble of taking it off to sew might as well throw a new one on considering they don't cost that much. Which also brings up another topic, how are you removing it? There's a good chance you may not get it out without shredding it where the little cord goes into the channel on the bottom. So then you would have to fix the top and bottom and to me that's just wasting time and money. I know from experience, mine shredded exactly like the op's and to remove it from the roller the material was already so brittle I tore the material along the roller and then just pulled the cord out separately.
smcox1, Fabric tearing while pulling it open...looks like I have to do a detailed inspect of the fabric to see how brittle the rolled up section is. When it's fully extended, the fabric looks good at a glance. There's no daylight showing through or leaking from rain. Hopefully, there's no cracking in the vinyl(if that's what the material is made of).

The PO said that he had never pulled the awning out. He is a self-employed equipment operator moving dirt. He would just drag the 5er job-site to job-site. Maybe the rolled up portion of the awning wasn't exposed to too much temperature extremes.

The cost of a new one is relatively cheap, but, if repairing, is 20% or less of a new one, I'd be good with that. Once the old tarp is pulled, I'll see if I can use the old awning. Thanks for sharing the scenarios and your experience pulling the awning. I'll keep these thoughts in mind while removing my awning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Not a good idea but doable. Changing the length of the awning will change where the roller stops either when retracting or extending not sure which. The problem you'll have is the position of the roller direction lock lever. You might not be able to reach the lever without having to climb up on the roof every time to extend the awning or having to use a ladder to retract.

I replaced the material last spring and was thinking about just using an awning shop to sew up a replacement and making it bigger until they pointed out the potential problem. Rather than doing the math to figure out outside roller diameter, fabric thickness, the increasing roller diameter with each turn,,,, I just stuck to the same size.
Sweetbriar, Thanks for sharing the info about the location of the 'direction lock lever'. So, starting with the awning in the closed position, to keep the lever in the same location, I would have to unroll the awning 1 or 2 full turns, or more, and that will dictate how much fabric needs to be removed. Yes, I don't want to make the awning bigger. A little less cover won't make a big difference in cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
I found a mobile RV tech here in Denver...I had him replace the awning on the trailer we sold - he did the entire job by himself! He had made himself a pulley device that he attached to the far end, went back to the ladder and fed it in while pulling a rope through the pulley that sucked it right in.

I would replace it as well, but I have no idea of your finances. Something to get by for awhile would be good, too.

Sweetbrier brings up a good point, too. My current rig has a shaft running down the arm to a lever near the bottom to switch the lock...if mine didn't hit, I'd be SOL.

Tim
Tim, Thanks for the pulley idea. I've got a block-n-tackle and a snatch block. I will definitely try to utilize that type of rigging. I am able to purchase a replacement awning, but, I try to be frugal and work with what I have. Would you happen to have a picture of the lever and shaft on the arm for lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjock View Post
I replaced my 17' A&E with a new one from Dyer for less than $200. The hardest part was to release the spring tension in the tube. They measure from arm to arm not the fabric. It took 2 of us 2 hours from start to finish.
Rich, Thanks for your input. I was measuring the width of the fabric, not from arm to arm. I'll make sure to have both measurements ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Go with TonyMac's idea. To fix that awning cover would be like trying to push rain back up to the cloud.
Rick, Thanks for chiming in. Once I check the condition of the old awning when I pull it, I just might have to go with TonyMac's idea. But, I'm curious...would you elaborate on your experience with pushing rain back up to the clouds?

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #27

Rick, that would be my assessment as well. I was also considering adding an additional layer where the awning is always exposed to the sun, but I don't know if that would interfere with the roller mechanism or not. I would think if it was a good idea someone would already be doing it, but then they may not sell as many awnings because of sun damage. The guy at the shop also told me the awning material thickness was reduced some years ago, which I guess would also sell more awnings, all other things being equal. Also, thanks for the link to 303.

Rich, Paying to have the repairs done will undoubtedly bring you closer to the price of a new cover, but it would be worth finding out what the cost would be. Please share that. I will most likely do the sewing myself if I go that way.

I had an old truck once that needed to have the seats re-upholstered. A neighbor who did this sort of thing for a hobby convinced me it was easy, actually it really isn't that difficult I just don't enjoy it all that much. So I bought my first machine. Later I bought a Pfaff 545-H3 compound feed machine that I will use to sew the awning which will reduce the cost somewhat. I have to do what I can to justify the cost of the machine, wives keep track of these things you know.:-))

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 01-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Never did succeed at pushing the rain back up.

Choosing new awning material, if a full replacement is going to happen, needs a bit of input from the forum. In my experiences the vinyl coated materials tends to build up moisture on the underside, and it will rain on you when this happens. We have a very nice canvas cover. It is strong, water tight and easy to keep clean.

Happy trails,

Rick Y

Tags
awning, repair