Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Rick, that would be my assessment as well. I was also considering adding an additional layer where the awning is always exposed to the sun, but I don't know if that would interfere with the roller mechanism or not. I would think if it was a good idea someone would already be doing it, but then they may not sell as many awnings because of sun damage. The guy at the shop also told me the awning material thickness was reduced some years ago, which I guess would also sell more awnings, all other things being equal. Also, thanks for the link to 303.

Rich, Paying to have the repairs done will undoubtedly bring you closer to the price of a new cover, but it would be worth finding out what the cost would be. Please share that. I will most likely do the sewing myself if I go that way.

I had an old truck once that needed to have the seats re-upholstered. A neighbor who did this sort of thing for a hobby convinced me it was easy, actually it really isn't that difficult I just don't enjoy it all that much. So I bought my first machine. Later I bought a Pfaff 545-H3 compound feed machine that I will use to sew the awning which will reduce the cost somewhat. I have to do what I can to justify the cost of the machine, wives keep track of these things you know.:-))

Best of luck.

Steve
Steve, I somehow missed that YOU are going to do the sewing. That will be interesting. Hope all goes well for you. I suggest stitching the ends of the awning where the rope stuff goes that keeps the awning in the groove. My last coach had that stuff feeding out of the awning. That did cause problems similar to yours.

Getting the awning material off will prove interesting. I do hope you have help. And, be certain to pin the spring end of the roller if you have to remove it. I know a professional awning repair guy who didn't do that correctly. He broke his arm when the spring released. I don't know if the roller did him damage of the ground he hit flying off the ladder. In any case, please take care to take care.

Looking forward to the progress.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 11:51 PM   #30

Thanks Rick, I've been doing my own sewing for years. It isn't something I really enjoy doing, but like a lot of my "created to save money" hobbies it does get the job done. I've always had the idea that If I could purchase the tools to do something for as much or less than it would cost to have someone else do it, the next job would be free. It doesn't always work out that way because mistakes are made during the learning process that are sometimes costly, but overall it has worked out well for me, and I have a accumulated lot of tools.

Thanks for the tip about sewing the ends of the retainer pocket ( I made the name up), I'll do that. Also thanks for the tip about the spring. The guy at the shop mentioned that too, then I told him about changing our garage door and nonchalantly removing several of the spring mounting screws before realizing the thing could hurt me if it got loose. I replaced the screws, released the spring tension, and was thankful that someone must have been looking after me. I'll watch the videos several times before removing the awning, and I'll do it on a day when my two sons aren't working and have them help, but probably not until warmer weather.

Thanks again for the advice.

Steve

Old 01-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Love this site every day I learn something and not always related to Motor Homing.
I knew about the garage door spring but never thought my aweing did the same. This might answer my question why my aweing needs help going closed.
Is it something that can be done by the average Jo?

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:08 AM   #32

spritz, TonyMac posted this link Replacement Fabric for A&E and Carefree of Colorado Awnings back on the first page. After watching the video down near the bottom of the page you should have a good idea if it's something you want to do. Doesn't seem that difficult if taken one step at a time and you have some help.

Had an older Concours for several years, nice bike.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 01-10-2016, 03:38 AM   #33

For others in a similar but earlier state you could add a bit of Eternabond to the edges to reinforce the fabric like this:

R Sanity RV Adventures: An Awning Tip
Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Love this site every day I learn something and not always related to Motor Homing.
I knew about the garage door spring but never thought my aweing did the same. This might answer my question why my aweing needs help going closed.
Is it something that can be done by the average Jo?

Tim
Yes. Might take two people but it is doable IF you follow the directions correctly. I have replaced the motor on my last rig's awning but not the spring. The process is the same. Pin the spring. I needed to work on the slide roof of this 40U. I pinned the spring end and removed the bearing screw from the opposite end. All went well working alone. So, yes, me, average Joe, can do the job.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Thanks Rick, I've been doing my own sewing for years. It isn't something I really enjoy doing, but like a lot of my "created to save money" hobbies it does get the job done. I've always had the idea that If I could purchase the tools to do something for as much or less than it would cost to have someone else do it, the next job would be free. It doesn't always work out that way because mistakes are made during the learning process that are sometimes costly, but overall it has worked out well for me, and I have a accumulated lot of tools.

Thanks for the tip about sewing the ends of the retainer pocket ( I made the name up), I'll do that. Also thanks for the tip about the spring. The guy at the shop mentioned that too, then I told him about changing our garage door and nonchalantly removing several of the spring mounting screws before realizing the thing could hurt me if it got loose. I replaced the screws, released the spring tension, and was thankful that someone must have been looking after me. I'll watch the videos several times before removing the awning, and I'll do it on a day when my two sons aren't working and have them help, but probably not until warmer weather.

Thanks again for the advice.

Steve
Love to see talent at work, Steve! You are a man after me own heart, so to speak. My wife has many creative talents. Living in a RV full time, the 4 sewing machines can make for an interesting life. Got to around the galley when she is set up. But she will complain when I start setting up my tools because it makes the coach look bad. I build bird houses: Chop saw, table saw, air gun... Too much saw dust blowing on the car or her plants. Don't yea just love it!

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 01-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks,
I 'll pay closer attention to the beginning's of a Thread instead of the ends...
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:04 AM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pulled the awning out over the weekend to do a more thorough inspect on the condition of the fabric.

While the fabric looked to be sturdy, I did find some pinholes letting daylight through.

Looking at the channel where the fabric mounts to the side of the 5er, it looks as though the PO DID attempt to repair awning. The fabric is just doubled over the cord in the channel, not stitched. Towards the front of the 5er, the fabric shows an excess of fabric sticking beyond the cord a couple of inches, but, towards the rear of the 5er, there is no excess sticking out.

I've contacted several RV places. They all say they don't repair the awning fabric where mine is damaged, just replace. Prices for replacement installs run between $400-600.

A couple of places said they could sell me the fabric for $230-250. Vinyl or Acrylic.

The place that gave me a choice between vinyl or acrylic, said vinyl is the standard material. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about accrylic awning fabric? Pros and cons?

Thanks,

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by r___r View Post
....The place that gave me a choice between vinyl or acrylic, said vinyl is the standard material. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about accrylic awning fabric? Pros and cons?

Thanks,

Rich
Rich:

I don't remember which I bought, but one will leak rain water and the other one lets the water run off. I'm not trying to be a wise a$$, but that was my whole cryteria for my decision and I'm happy happy happy. Their is no worst feeling then standing at the door trying to get the damn thing open with cold rain water leaking through the awning. For the un-initiated it will only leak where you have to stand.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 AM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The acrylic is cooler when the sun hits it, doesn't radiate the heat through like vinyl does. We've had nothing but acrylic since 2000 and they've also all had the metal cover.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Here are a couple of sites for price comparisons of materials. Do a little research and you may come up with a good material at a good price. I don't like the vinyl for many reasons: heat, condensation, weathering...

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Dom...cs_c_2371.html

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...ement%20Fabric

In many areas there are mobile RV repair services. They are often more reasonable than a RV dealer because they don't charge $140/hr.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #41

After seeing KRumm's application of Eternabond to the edges of the awning I began to wonder how it would work to just run that all the way across to repair and/or protect the area near the camper that is most susceptible to sun damage? Would it stick well enough? It would certainly be easier than removing and stitching the awning and the stuff is meant to be used as roofing so it should work well to protect the awning from sun. It should also be much better than the flimsy tape I got from the RV place for that purpose.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for posting the idea KRumm!

Steve

Tags
awning, repair