Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2015, 11:06 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Awning Fabric Repair?

My awning fabric has been tearing away from where it attaches to the trailer.

Is it possible to repair? If so, is it much cheaper to repair it, as opposed to replace? Is it a DIY fix?

I've found some awning fabric for about $130. I've measured the width of my fabric at 194".

Appreciate any advice or comments,

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
In a word, no. Go to Tough Top Awnings, they have some serious fabric that lasts. Maybe think about metal wrap; your awning wore where the sun is always on it. It is eminently DIY-able. Ez to do; takes a couple of guys, a couple of 10' ladders, a couple of 12-packs and a couple of hours. Tough Top also has videos with lots of good DIY info. Replacement Fabric for A&E and Carefree of Colorado Awnings
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the info...I've come across many videos of replacing the awning fabric. Looks possible for a DIY'r to replace.

The metal wrap cures the elements exposures?

I hadn't found any info on repairing and re-using original awning fabric. So, I guess, it's not repairable?

Thanks,

Rich
Old 12-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have only replaced the three slide toppers on our '02 DSDP. Bought them from Tough Tops and a friend and I installed them in a couple hours, not bad for first timers.
Ours had the metal wrap too, and yes, it does slow down the exposure rot, but not totally.
I wouldn't bother trying to repair what you posted pictures of, too far gone. Patch it one place and it's going to rip somewhere else.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for Tough Top. I'll check into them. Then, it looks like I'll be gathering some beers together.

Thanks TonyMac and Mr_D,

Rich
Old 12-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #6

Where did you find the new awning fabric? In spite of the good advice you've received, I'm thinking of doing something different.

Thanks.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steve,

Here you go. Lots of choices here:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...wning&tbm=shop

Rich
Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 PM   #8

Thanks a bunch. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but I'm thinking of repairing or making my own awning and now I'm just exploring the possibilities.

It's amazing to me how many forum members live in our "neighborhood". We lived in Hoopa, CA for a while and ended up in Phoenix, OR via Prineville. Loved the Trinity River in the '70s.

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
If you have full coverage turn it over to your insurance because it looks like some damage has been done to the cap on top.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steve, I had to look up Hoopa. Closest I've been to Hoopa is Redding. We live outskirts of Sacramento. It'd be interesting to see what you fabricate for your shading. I'm just going to keep it simple and re-do what I've got.

Walter, Thanks for that info. I've just looked through the Insurance info that I have regarding my 5er and didn't find anything that would apply, so, I emailed my Insurance Agent. I'll hope for the best, but, I'm not expecting much. Thank You for the lead, I hadn't thought of that angle.

Is the damage to the cap that you see where the arrow is pointing?

If it is where the arrow is pointing, that's the location where the roof transitions upward to the front. No damage there. Just dirty.

If you see a different location, please do tell.

Rich
Old 01-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #11

Rich, If our awning looked like the photo of yours I would just replace the fabric with new material, but ours looks almost new except for the area where the sun hits when it is rolled up. The same area where yours is torn. Ours is not torn at all but there are a few places in that area where very small patches of light can be seen when looking from beneath it toward the sky. I bought some tape from the local RV place to possibly patch it to get by next Summer, but I was wondering if I just removed it, shortened it a few inches to remove the 'sun cooked" area, sewed the pocket back in for the retainer and replaced it, if that would work. I may also go the route I think you are going and just replace the material.

The problem is that we have only had the MH a few months, it is fairly old ('93), and there are still a lot of things to check/fix before a trip across the US with it this Summer. The awning is not at the top of that list. We still have the TC and if all else fails we will just use it.

Best of luck with your awning.

Steve
Old 01-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
but I was wondering if I just removed it, shortened it a few inches to remove the 'sun cooked" area, sewed the pocket back in for the retainer and replaced it, if that would work.
Steve,

That was my thought, as well. Figured I'd ask if there was a Professional or DIYer on here that had done this with some thoughts how the task was. No big deal, I'll just get a new one and swap it out.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 01-02-2016, 05:26 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I was going to suggest the same as Steve said.
I always open ours after a rain to let it dry out. I have no tares but I have some kind of a black mold-ish color right where yours tore.
I have tried everything to get it removed with no luck.
Did yours start out that way and then finally tore?
The rest of the aweing is like new. I've had it going on 6 years and the PO had it installed 6 years before I bought it but never got to use it.(stroke) We were the first too unroll it.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:04 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Rather then buy on-line, I just went to my local awning shop and not only did he make me a new awing but I got lots of advise on how to slip the awing into the metal. Be sure that the metal is squeeky clean or the awning will bind up when sliding in. If you drive down to your local CG and check in, when the ladders are taken out you'll attract all kinds of help and advise.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, repair