Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

Awning roller spring failure.

I recently bought an older MH. (1988 Fleetwood Southwind).

The awning is in decent condition at this time, but the spring in the roller is either shot, or so worn that it will no longer roll up on its own.

I have rolled it by hand, and as I am not using the MH but a few times a year, I am not excited about replacing the roller as it seems an expensive and labor intensive operation.

Is there some sort of mechanical turn screw I can install to crank it up? Is there any DIY fix I might apply?

I was told I could take the front arm off the camper, and spin the arm to reload the spring, and I will do that, but I fear the spring must be broken inside the roller.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
On my MH the spring is attached to the end cap so all you have to do is figure out which end it is and take it off the metal bar. It's all self contained and no problem to get out. I think that mine is a "carter", it's been over a year and I don't remember. I thought it was a carefree when I started but when the part came in I saw that it wasn't going to work. It was a special order, so I ate the $6X.XX cost. After that I Googled Carter and a guy had them in stock and sent me what I needed.

The biggest problem was my getting over my apprehension about getting started. Once I started it was all downhill and I couldn't get my hands to keep with my brain.

Hope this helps.

Have a happy new year

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

Awning springs are not that expensive, and many consider their replacement well within the DIY difficulty category. I think having a second capable person on hand is a good plan. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see several "Youtube How To's" on the subject?

Unless it's a pretty short awning, most will have a spring in each end.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

I think the 2 replacement springs for my 21' awning were around $ 50 each. Well worth replacing
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I replaced the 2 springs on my 93 Bounder, watch the Youtube video it's totally DIY with a few hand tools.
Disconnecting the supports from the side and sliding them under the bus so the tube is near the ground made it easier for me, if you do that you need to measure the length of the awning and add windes to the preload chart that comes with the new springs.
Also mark the index end cap with the release lever, so the lever ends up in the same place as the old one.
It's critical that the preload is the same on both sides or the awning will wind up crooked.
If I remember correctly I bought the springs from PPL.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
I replaced the 2 springs on my 93 Bounder, watch the Youtube video it's totally DIY with a few hand tools.
Disconnecting the supports from the side and sliding them under the bus so the tube is near the ground made it easier for me, if you do that you need to measure the length of the awning and add windes to the preload chart that comes with the new springs.
Also mark the index end cap with the release lever, so the lever ends up in the same place as the old one.
It's critical that the preload is the same on both sides or the awning will wind up crooked.
If I remember correctly I bought the springs from PPL.
I did a friend's springs this past summer and ordered new ones for mine whenever I decide to get it back together, it's not all that hard,especially with the video's out there. I bought them from Amazon
Old 01-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #7

Getting the spring pre-loads equal is always a good plan, but there's no way one side of that awning is going to wind up before the other if you're off a turn. The roller is one piece. If one end is moving, the other is as well.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #8

Thanks all. I will look into it, but it looks to be far less daunting than I thought at first.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning