Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Backup Cameras

OK ... so I confess. I am moving up to a non vintage RV. There .. I've said it and I'm OK with it. Actually next year it will be vintage so I'm just gonna stay here where I enjoy the crowd. We are going from our class c to a class A and are really looking forward to it. 46000 miles on a 93 Bounder that seems in great condition. Time will tell. Anyway my question revolves around the rear mounted cameras. Who has what ? How are they to install and is the actual camera shot representative of what is really there ? By that I mean is the size and distance of what you see exactly what you need to see to safely back up.

As always .... thanks for the input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Factory installed hard wired. Mine is somewhat of a wide angle and switchable to view more down to the hitch and more behind to view traffic, ect. Its not exactly WYSISWYG, but I have no trouble judging distance.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

Mine is an old school black and white. It just points toward the back. I hardly ever use it to back up because the definition is not all that great, but I use it while going down the highway to keep an eye on my boat that I tow behind. It also lets me see any cars that are directly behind me. It works great for that. Judging distance is a matter of getting used to it. If you want to replace yours, Costco has a very nice color one for a very reasonable price. Here's a link:
Costco - 1 Backup Camera System with 7" LCD Screen by Rear View Safety
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a little tip you can use for whatever system you choose to go with. The previous owner on my coach put a little dot on the monitor. This dot when it "touches" lets say where the asphalt and a wall meet, leaves me about one foot away from the wall. Perfect parking distance every time.
Thought this might be helpful.
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We put a new wired back-up camera system on our '89 Fleetwood Southwind last year.

A doddle. Easy-peasy.

Installed the camera at the top rear (screws and 3M 5200 sealant). Ran the single cable up on the roof and ran it parallel alongside the cap and down the driver's side. Tucked the cable into a corner of the cap and sealed it in place with caulk. Basically disappears from view. I did NOT want to poke holes in the roof if I didn't have to, and this way the cable is easy to access if we need to replace it.

The cable, as I said, runs down the drivers side and curls underneath right at the edge of the bumper. It then goes into a flexible metal conduit (along with wiring for the tow lights and supplemental brake system on the toad).

The conduit runs all the wall along the underside of the motorhome, firmly held in place. It then goes up alongside the opening into the doghouse and comes up under the dash at the back of the doghouse. The manifold/controller is attached to the wall just under the dash. I believe we got power from an unused fuse position in the fuse box under the dash.

The cable then goes up through the dash and the 7" monitor is mounted on the horizontal part of the dash just to the right of the instrument panel (down out of the way).

It makes life so easy- no problems backing up, helps with passing. I love it and would never have a rig without one. Cost around $150 and took a day of work.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 90 Bounder 34s and I'm currently in the market for a camera system as well. I am interested in getting a 3 or even a 4 camera system. At least 1 on the passanger side and at least 1 on the rear. I often tow a small 18' speed boat. Are the box style ones generally better than the side style? Is there anything special I should consider about purchasing these cameras? I was hoping to spend less than $600 and I am willing to run wires instead of getting the more expensive wireless ones if I have to in order to save money. I saw these on e-bay but I don't know if they are any good or not, they are on the less expensive side. If you get these I would be interested in any feedback so don't forget to update.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Old 02-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
I am running with the pack here, and looking for a rear camera system as well. I would rather go with wireless, as I really don't want another wire to keep up with between the 5er and the hauler.
Being a solo'er, it would be amazingly reassuring to be able to actually see what I was going to mow down with the rig...
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I used the costco one on a previous rv. Iy was cheap, and iy worked good.

I ran the wire under the rv, then up between the rear cap and the back of the structure.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #9

We have a black & white Sony in our motorhome. It gets used regularly to check on the towed Jeep and when we need to back into a site. It came with a clear plastic sheet with lines on it that you can put on the face of the monitor. The lines along the sides give the distance an object is from the rear of the coach. We've never used this option because in most instances it's easy to see where you are in relation to an object.

If you decide to buy one I would go with a color camera and monitor. There are times when dry grass can't be distinguished from gravel on a B&W system. Some cameras are remotely adjustable. I'm not sure I would go with that option unless there is some kind of reference as to where the camera is pointing in relation to the center rear of the coach. With a fixed camera you always know where you are side to side and front to rear.

I have a color camera and monitor in my Ford truck. It's much easier to see similar colored objects than with the black & white in the motorhome.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope you get as much joy out of your 93 Bounder as I get out of my 93 Ranger PU.

I think you have heard it all and all is correct, Back up camera good idea, not too expensive, easy to install, plenty of variety to choose from. Let us know when you have yours installed--pictures would be nice.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #11

I previously had a sony black and white system that the camera went out on. Due to the age a replacement camera was expensive. So I bought the following system

Car LCD 7 Color Monitor+ 12/24V Reverse IR Camera Car LCD 7 Color Monitor+ 12/24V Reverse IR Camera [P194 ecbuys]- US$92.99 - Ecbuys.com

I used the cable that was already in place just cut off the Sony ends and soldered rca plugs that matched the new set. I am pleased with it so far. This site has options where you can add multiple cameras.

Mike
Old 02-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I purchased a 2 camera system (one on the tow vehicle & one on the trailer) from Rear View Safety.
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Just a little tip you can use for whatever system you choose to go with. The previous owner on my coach put a little dot on the monitor. This dot when it "touches" lets say where the asphalt and a wall meet, leaves me about one foot away from the wall. Perfect parking distance every time.
Thought this might be helpful.
Stewart
Thanks Stewart, this is great tip! Love the 'oh, duh' suggestions.... so simple that even a blonde could understand it!!!

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our system is also from RVS (Rear View Safety) and although we have only one camera on it, the monitor has the capability of handling 3.

We went with a cabled system because we understood that the wireless camera systems can get flaky when transmitting over about 30 feet- some do, some don't, and it didn't seem worth the trouble of finding out if ours "did".

In reference to the earlier question about which is better, box or side-mount. The box style allows you to aim the camera to suit your needs- very important for a rear mount since the ideal place to mount the camera may not be vertical. Also we chose to aim our camera further back- we can't see our toad hitch, but we have a better view of what's behind us.
The little puck cameras must be on a vertical wall, and I believe can only be aimed during installation.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote