Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #1

Bathroom Leak - How to access plumbing?

I have a 1990 34' Pace Arrow that we took out for a week for the first time and found that the bathroom rug was getting wet. I had just changed out the water heater tank but those connections aren't leaking. Looking behind the toilet I found that the plastic fresh water connection was loose so I pulled it up through the pedestal floor enough to tighten it and hoped that was it but can't see how to get into or under the pedestal to check if there might be more connection under the pedestal. The rug continued to get wet so I took out the panel to look under the shower and found that the pipe was disconnected from the shower drain. The pipe connects through a big 6-8" hole in the floor so while it looks like it would leak through the big hole I suppose some might splash onto the floor getting the rug wet. The problem I have is that there is just enough room to reach an arm under the shower floor to reach the drain pipe but no way enough room to change it out. Looking underneath in the wheel well there doesn't seem to be any access to the shower floor from underneath.

Does anybody know how to access the shower drain to change out the pipe that broke?

Do you know how to look under the toilet pedestal floor to see if there is a connection there that might be leaking?

Any help is appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you can't gain access under the shower via a compartment box then you go through the top, the small access is just enough room to screw the pipe to the drain but if anything need to be replaced then the shower has to come out to get there I know you don't want to hear that.

Now the toilet I take it that it's sitting on a box or step up you can remove the toilet and what ever kind of floor covering and you might fine some screws that hold the top down it should been the last part to go down so nail or screws it will needed to be lifted to inspect under it.

You can do a leak test with the water pump turn it on and listen for it to cycle if it don't then you good on leaks if it cycles often then something is leaking, also do a overnight turn on pump let it pressurize then shut it off come back in the morning and turn it on if it don't run your in great shape.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You're doing it right.. Our shower drain had "hidden" access in the wheel well area, hidden by undercoating.

The toilet will have a common leak point if it has a valve on it. That valve will have a connection to a water line, but you'll have to pull the toilet to get to the valve.

YMMV as I don't know your make model.. just ideas.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

If you look on my thread Here you can see what I have been going through to address a similar set of problems.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #5

Thanks NightRiderRV. I really don't want to take stuff apart if there's another way so I'll try the pump test for the toilet.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismay View Post
If you look on my thread Here you can see what I have been going through to address a similar set of problems.
Man, jismay, you are into it knee deep! I hope I don't have to go that far but its good to know that I can if I have to.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
You're doing it right.. Our shower drain had "hidden" access in the wheel well area, hidden by undercoating.

The toilet will have a common leak point if it has a valve on it. That valve will have a connection to a water line, but you'll have to pull the toilet to get to the valve.

YMMV as I don't know your make model.. just ideas.
Thanks, I'll check out that wheel well next chance I get. Were you able to access without takng the wheel off? I hope so since I don't have the jack or lug wrench for that job.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #8

Be sure and check the water valve on the toilet. I've replaced a couple that have frozen and cracked.......hard to detect but mine produced wet carpet. The last one was hard to find as the carpet around the toilet was dry...... the water ran away from the toilet under the plastic barrier under the carpet.
Planocat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
In Our Old 1990 Southwind the Shower Base/Drain could be reached (With difficulty) by removing the Fresh Water supply door and Hose connection.
It gave Me just enough room to R&R the drain pipe and cracked fitting!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planocat View Post
Be sure and check the water valve on the toilet. I've replaced a couple that have frozen and cracked.......hard to detect but mine produced wet carpet. The last one was hard to find as the carpet around the toilet was dry...... the water ran away from the toilet under the plastic barrier under the carpet.
Thanks. Do you mean the valve in back of the toilet, above the floor? Mine seems good, a dry paper towel doesn't get wet around those tubes when I flush.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
In Our Old 1990 Southwind the Shower Base/Drain could be reached (With difficulty) by removing the Fresh Water supply door and Hose connection.
I'll take the door off and check it out, thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:19 AM   #12

The valve I referenced is part of the toilet and not visible unless the toilet is removed. Here is the part I had to replace on 2 different occasions when I didn't get the coach winterized properly. It may not be this part, but the second time the RV service center couldn't diagnose the problem and we ended up shutting off the water supply and flushing with a bucket for 3 weeks. When I got home and had access to parts, I tore it apart and found the problem. RV center missed the dignosis based on the carpet around the toilet not being wet.

Just a possibility....

Thetford Toilet Water Valve 31113 | eBay
Planocat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
Thanks, RobRV! Six screws to get the door off and I was able to get the trap out by hand in less than a minute! Easy since one end was cracked already. Unfortunately, the part is not in stock as one end is just a little bigger than 1-1/2". Since I needed to fix it before the weekend campout, I bought a hose clamp to keep the ring together, put it all back together and... no leaks! Thanks, again.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planocat View Post
The valve I referenced is part of the toilet and not visible unless the toilet is removed. Here is the part I had to replace on 2 different occasions when I didn't get the coach winterized properly. It may not be this part, but the second time the RV service center couldn't diagnose the problem and we ended up shutting off the water supply and flushing with a bucket for 3 weeks. When I got home and had access to parts, I tore it apart and found the problem. RV center missed the dignosis based on the carpet around the toilet not being wet.

Just a possibility....

Thetford Toilet Water Valve 31113 | eBay
Thanks, Planocat. I'm doing the test NightRiderRV suggested and pumped up the water system and letting it sit overnight to see if I've got a leak. I just fixed the shower drain, thanks to RobRV's water supply door trick and I hope that the splash coming from the broken shower drain was what was making the carpet wet. If not, I guess its time to get the toilet off, ugh!

Tags
bathroom, leak, plumbing, shower