Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #1

Battery, Inverter, converter questions

So today I discovered that my coach batteries are weak. I charged and load checked them. So here's my question. When on shore power with the house batteries disconnected the refrigerator won't work on the DC setting. Lights inside it flicker and it makes a sound like its trying but I'm afraid to leave it on for long. Should the inverter run the apliances without the batteries? Also I think my trickle charger is dead too after 24 hrs the batteries wouldn't charge up. Got them charged now but they fail a load test. I think if the charger was working it would have at least brought the voltage on the batteries up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #2

Another wrinkle. I have the refer on AC now. Will check in the morning to see if its working properly. I think the answer is that inverter can't power the fridge without the batteries attached. Pulls to much power/ current. I think two good batteries will fix my problem. Also need to verify that the charger is working.
Next question. I've read that 2 6v golf cart batteries in series will be better than 2 12v marine batteries in parallel. Thoughts?? Why ??
Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

You should always list the type of RV you have (85 26ft Itasca) in a post even if it is in your profile. I assume you have the Sunflyer model. Makes life much easier for those your asking to help you as many do not know how to see your profile.

Winnebago used the 6300 Series MagneTek (now Parallax) Power Center with a Linear Converter in 85 (PPS LINEAR CONVERTERS). These converters had a battery charger installed and also a built in transfer relay that selected battery or converter power as the 12VDC source.

The inverter was most likely an add on by a previous owner so you will have to trace the wiring to see how they hooked it up.

Trickle charger is only designed to maintain a charge, not recharge a depleted battery.

Fridge should work off of converter however with batteries disconnected this style of converter would not have a filtered output (noisy) so it can damage sensitive equipment with no battery connected (http://www.parallaxpower.com/6300/LinearFAQ.pdf).

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarog View Post
Next question. I've read that 2 6v golf cart batteries in series will be better than 2 12v marine batteries in parallel. Thoughts?? Why ??
Because typically golf cart batteries are true deep-cycle and can be discharged much farther without damage than hybrid "deep-cycle" (marine) style batteries.

Whatever you buy, you have to keep after the water in them unless you do gel batteries...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

Speaking of battery water, the model of converter you have is notorious for boiling batteries dry due to the high float voltage it has.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #6

Thanks Dave. I suppose I thought I was just gonna ask a few general battery / converter type questions. Didn't cross my mind to put my rigs specs on here. I guess I was being kinda sloppy.

I should probably add that the trouble occurred after I left the fridge on all night and ran the coach batteries all the way down. I had to use the shop charger to charge them back up. I guess being that the RV has a trickle charger it couldn't handle charging the batteries up from stone cold dead. Looked on the batteries and found a mfg date of May 2005. Guess their due to be replaced. Will acquire some new golfcart batteries tomorrow and see where that takes me.

We leave in two weeks for the first real trip in her. We will be going to Michigan. About 950 miles from home , so I am digging in and trying to check all systems before we leave. Just freshened up the cooling system and ran into the battery thing. Getting a lil' nervous about heading out in this old rig for such an ambitious trip.
Couple more snafu's and ill be a nervous wreck for two weeks. LOL!
Appreciate your input. All advice is welcome.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
An invertor is a function of batteries being active.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote