Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #1

battery isolator upgrade / alternator upgrade

Hello,
Our 1986 Jayco on a Ford E350 chassis, 460 gas engine, has its alternator on its last legs. While its out, we are planning on upgrading from the externally regulated 55 amp to a modern internally regulated Ford 3G 130 amp alternator. This will require a battery isolator upgrade also. However I'm confused on the models of isolators. Which group model isolator do I need? Which one from the list on this page should I look at?
Battery Isolator - Marine Battery Isolator - Sure Power Battery Isolator

Thanks
boomvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #2

Boom,

You confusion is understandable. You know need the 130 amp rating (buy more, it's cheap), but you don't know if you need series 1, 2 or 3? I don't know the Ford 3G series real well, and my books are here, but this might help:http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...on-180012Q.pdf

I'm thinking it is a series 1, but this should answer the question.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvan View Post
Hello,
Our 1986 Jayco on a Ford E350 chassis, 460 gas engine, has its alternator on its last legs. While its out, we are planning on upgrading from the externally regulated 55 amp to a modern internally regulated Ford 3G 130 amp alternator. This will require a battery isolator upgrade also. However I'm confused on the models of isolators. Which group model isolator do I need? Which one from the list on this page should I look at?
Battery Isolator - Marine Battery Isolator - Sure Power Battery Isolator

Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #3

where would a battery isolator normally be located?
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #4

Groups 2 and 3 are for Delco Alternators with external sense leads. A 130 amp Ford 3G alternator does not use that so you need group 1.

Better to get larger amperage (reduced stress on components) by getting the 160 amp model (Sure Power 1602 Battery Isolator)

I take it you have researched all the information about how to convert from a 1G (external regulator) to a 3G (internal regulator) alternator setup?
Unless you have a serpentine belt, the fan belt size of the 55 amp 1G is not really big enough for a 130 amp 3G.
You will need to upgrade the Alternator BAT lead to 4 gauge wire and install a 175 amp fuse.
OEM Amp meter (if installed) in dash will no longer work. You will need to get aftermarket gauges.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Mine is located on the right side firewall facing the grill.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Some older rigs used the electronic Battery isolator, others used the AUX Start Relay. Today they (coach mfgs) mostly just use the Aux Start relay. If installed, it (either an electronic isolator or Aux start solinoid) would most likely be under the front hood on your Oshkosh chassis. Many of todays (and many older) rigs use a BIRD controller to control the AUX start relay. On my old 78 Chieftian I have the manual implementation (Dual/Norm/MOM switch) for Aux Relay control. The reason a solinoid is preffered over the electronic isolator is there is a 0.7VDC voltage drop across the isolator diodes therfore the batteries never really get the proper charge voltage (13.4 vs 14.1). The Delco group 2 & 3 versions, the fourth post is used to compensate for that voltage drop given that those alternators have the external sense. Whether the original rig had a solinoid or a used the Aux Start relay was up to the coach mfg (not the chassis mfg).

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #7

The wire size used for the old alternator is likely not sized for the new alternator.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
The wire size used for the old alternator is likely not sized for the new alternator.
Another reason to scrap the electronic/diode type isolator and go to a relay type as Dave is describing above. Relay type are much more reliable, and much easier for most to troubleshoot should problems arise.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #9

BTW,

Some will say this product is too expensive, I think about $200, but I would say it does everything in one simple to install box and it comes from a reputable marine product supplier, so need to worry about the environment it will be used for in an RV. It combines, isolates, and provides forced start combining.

ML-Series Automatic Charging Relays (Magnetic Latch) - PN - Blue Sea Systems

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #10

I do/did boat work.
I've been watching this device for a while. It is possibly a good device if you always leave the coach on shore power. But even the (less than) 10ma drain (like your propane, smoke and CO detectors) on the house bank and the ECU keep alive on main engine bank, it will deplete a battery over a long period of un-use.

Matt
Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #11

There is also a manual switch available with positions to charge different batteries.
You can select #1 battery, #2 battery, or both #1 & #2. If you don't want to mess with a manual switch The solenoid set-up is the least expensive and most reliable in my experience.
I worked for a large Municipal fleet (4,700 vehicles) and the isolators always gave us charging problems and short battery life.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, battery