Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Bryan are you saying the provable, observable differences in both the physical make up and the chemical make up of a Deep Cycle battery and a starting battery, All of which are well documented in assorted posts on various forums including these, and in articles linked to by those posts are note real?

I have run my Interstate GC-2's (U-2200s) down too far a number of times and they still test out as good

With starting batteries, including interstates,, once, perhaps twice, but truthfully that's about the limte.. You keep those suckers well charged or replace them.. I know, replaced more than one due to a deep discharge and the discharge was not always that deep. Taken my golf car batteries much farther down and they recovered.
Exactly!! When I first got my trolling moter, I used a good "starting" battery; didn't last long nor would it hold a charge after running almost dead several times. There ARE design differences!! I've always heard the rule is, if you've "killed" your car battery three times or more, DON'T count on it to start your vehicle in the winter.

1982 CrossCountry - NW Indiana
Ford Electrician
Built WITHOUT your tax dollars!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
I had real bad luck with the Interstate batterries that were supplied on a new 1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. They put two six volt deep cycle batteries in series at the factory. The main trouble was the constant leaking of the batteries. They leaked at the top where the 3 cells were interconnected. There were no leaks from the filler caps or at the posts.They were replaced three times under warranty. After that I bought two Trojan T-105 batteries that are just now failing to stay fully charged after a long charging period.They have been in service for seven years and 4 months. I believe that good maintenance, a good charging system is the main factor in extending all battery life. keep the correct water level, keep connections free of corrosion and keep all connections tight.I also use a product called Thermoil Battery De-mister that I have used on all my vehicles. It is an excellent product that prevents the acid spray from venting through the vented caps. Is is so nice to see dust on the top of baterries instead of green corrosion and white dryed acid powder You can check the product at www.thermoil.com I definitely will add Thermoil to my new batteries

rfbelpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two G-24's about 150 amp hours combined
Two GC-2's about 220 amp hours combined
Price, not much different,

Ability to recover from an "OPPS" The GC-2's are (Golf Car batteries) are Deep Cycle.. The G-24's either strting or Marine Deep cycle (mostly starting) and thus the GC-2's do a much better job of surviving a major "OH S!!!!! type deep discharge. Still, don't recommend it. But do recommend them

Major differnce, they are taller.. so make sure you have the room for them.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote