Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #1

batterys help me understand

i lost 1 of my group 24 house batterys i know i need to replace both at same tome so i was off to sams the 24 have 104 reserve now i was looking at the golf cart batterys they are rated at 104 reserve at 75 amps looks like that is the way to go i dont do any drycamping but i may in the future what do you think
dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #2

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #3

Available lead acid wet cell battery energy capacity is about 15 watt hours per pound of battery. Always use watt hours, which is battery amp hour specification times voltage, to do any comparisons in order to avoid battery voltage confusions.

Always use the 20 hour rating for amp hours. You'll find this rating on batteries intended for RV service but sometimes not on those intended for starting service. What is means, for the batteries commonly available, is the available energy in the battery when you draw about 60 watts.

Don't fall for marketing hype. The 'True Deep Cycle 6v Golf Cart' myths are particularly pernicious. You don't deep cycle any lead acid battery if you want it to last and battery voltage makes no difference as far as capacity, ruggedness, or whatnot. All batteries trade-off capacity, cost, and ruggedness and manufacturers provide a line of choices with these trade-offs but, if you look at the actual numbers, the differences are really rather small.

Keep in mind that the energy available in batteries is really rather small. Even doubling your battery capacity isn't going to make much difference in the overall scheme of things.

The best thing you can do for your batteries is to upgrade your RV converter to one that does multiple stage charging and has a good storage maintenance mode that will keep a full charge on the batteries and also use some sort of sulfation inhibiting technique.

Go by measures that the manufacturer and retailer will stand behind and watch out for poorly defined terms (e.g. deep cycle battery) that are more marketing hype than anything else. Buy from a reputable retailer who sells a lot to folks who use batteries like you do and will support what he sells. Use cost, specifications, and warranty to guide your decisions.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

thanks dave
Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #5

Painful to try to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
i lost 1 of my group 24 house batterys i know i need to replace both at same tome so i was off to sams the 24 have 104 reserve now i was looking at the golf cart batterys they are rated at 104 reserve at 75 amps looks like that is the way to go i dont do any drycamping but i may in the future what do you think
dave

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #6

My 02

My type 24 batteries had about 80 amp hours each. My Costco GC2 golf cart batteries have about 225 amp hrs.

Type 24 battery is 12 volts - wired in parallel your two should get you 160 amp hrs - a golf cart battery is typically 6 volts and you need two wired in series - two six volt 225 amp hr batteries wired in series will produce 225 amp hrs.

When I ran the numbers the Costco GC2's were the best on cost per amp hrs followed closely by Walmart type 29's.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #7

I find the Costco group 27's often beat out the T105 sized 6v on an energy capacity cost basis (same at Sams Club) but any differences are so small as to not matter in the overall scheme of things.

Keep in mind that all wet cell lead acid batteries have the same energy capacity for each pound of battery. per BatteryUniversity.com it is 45 watt hours per kilogram (20 hour rate also seen in battery specification charts). That works out to about 12 watt hours per pound of usable energy capacity for any lead acid battery at the halfway discharge point often used as a battery cost effective reference.

I suggest to avoid using amp hours when comparing battery capacity. Always use watt hours to avoid any confusion based on voltages. Thinking power in watts and energy in watt hours makes figuring things out a bit easier, too.

Also keep in mind that factors such as temperature, age, cycle to cycle variations, use profile, and other factors can each cause available battery capacity to vary by more than ten percent. That means that any comparisons of battery energy capacity don't have significance until differences get to more than 20% or so - and the amount of energy in a battery is so small to start with that that sort of difference doesn't make much difference, anyway.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

I'm going to Sam's tommorrow and pick up two series 31 for my chassis battery. 950 CCA and only $97.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #9

CCA is a parameter for STARTING batteries, not deep cycles.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two G-24's are about 150 amp hours total, half that can be safely used if they are deep cycle, about a quarter if not (or less)

A pair of SIx Volt GC-2 Golf Car batteries in serries is 220 amphours, half that can be safely used, they ARE deep cycle.

The catch is.. they are taller.

So if you have the room.. That is clearly the way to go. The only way.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
Painful to try to read.
It look like your the only one in pain.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #12

re: "they ARE deep cycle."

no such thing. no objective definition. marketing hype. caveat emptor.

If you find any way to be able to look at some measurable parameter for a battery that can be used to separate "deep cycle" from others, please let me know. I have been looking for a long time and haven't found it yet.

Yes, there is a trade-off between capacity, cost, and 'ruggedness' in a battery line but the differences are small in practical terms. What the terms 'deep cycle' or 'RV/marine' and so forth are saying is that the battery is intended for that market and has the warranty to match.

Don't get suckered by the baloney that is so often seen in these battery threads - look for objective definitions supported by measures that are evaluated with appropriate regard for the variances that are inherent with batteries.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #13

perry i run 2 31 series in boat for 24 volts my sams are 4 years and abused a lot they are still going
Old 04-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
re: "they ARE deep cycle."

no such thing. no objective definition. marketing hype. caveat emptor.
Bryan are you saying the provable, observable differences in both the physical make up and the chemical make up of a Deep Cycle battery and a starting battery, All of which are well documented in assorted posts on various forums including these, and in articles linked to by those posts are note real?

I have run my Interstate GC-2's (U-2200s) down too far a number of times and they still test out as good

With starting batteries, including interstates,, once, perhaps twice, but truthfully that's about the limte.. You keep those suckers well charged or replace them.. I know, replaced more than one due to a deep discharge and the discharge was not always that deep. Taken my golf car batteries much farther down and they recovered.