RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #1

Best Brand/Make/Type Shock Absorbers

What do you feel are the best brand/make/type shock absorbers?

1996 Tiffin Allegro 25T - P30 chassis, 454 engine

Thanks in advance for your input!

Are n' Linda

RM Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most on here seem to gravitate to Bilstein or Koni. After that, it's a lot like Ford vs. Chevy as to which is better. Different brands may work better with different chassis setups. Hopefully you will hear some personal anecdotes. As far as my case, the OEM's are dying but new ones are outside the budget right now so I'm just wallowing along...

Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:38 PM   #3

We personally love Bilstein shocks. Dramatically reduce the harsh jounce and rebound on our 30' P30.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
We personally love Bilstein shocks. Dramatically reduce the harsh jounce and rebound on our 30' P30.
TY for input. Guess Bilstein shock manufacturers will be able to tell me best part # for all four shocks in relation to our 96 Tiffin Allegro 25T motor home.

Plan to contact them! Shocks on our rig are 23 yr. originals. Seems to float a bit much while going over close sequence "rolls" in the road way's pavement and lean/waver a bit much in turns on a hill. Nothing I can't easily handle, but, I do prefer fairly rigid ride on any road vehicle.

Although the springs [also originals - coils front/leaf-springs rear] seem to be in good condition [36K miles total previous travel] I heard that putting stiffer coils on front also improves handling. Airbags in front coils were replaced 9 rears ago. I keep them 80 psi... same as all 6 tires.

Today is first time I've driven her out of my mechanics shop after they went over every part and parcel of drive train and other items of importance.

So... so far to get her home today I've only done about 12 miles which included a pretty good [yet rather small - about a 1.5 mile total length] curvy steep up grade and gentle down grade hill.

We're getting "Sweetie" ready for fun in the sun for years to come! She was in good shape when we purchased a few weeks ago. Planning to put her in great shape before summer!

vy up
Old 04-11-2019, 11:47 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had Koni's on a 1995 P30. Worked and rode very well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I had Koni's on a 1995 P30. Worked and rode very well.
TY v - I plan to ck out Koni shocks too... by calling mfg/distributor.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
Most on here seem to gravitate to Bilstein or Koni. After that, it's a lot like Ford vs. Chevy as to which is better. Different brands may work better with different chassis setups. Hopefully you will hear some personal anecdotes. As far as my case, the OEM's are dying but new ones are outside the budget right now so I'm just wallowing along...
TY for input dandc

I understand your position... been there done that in life... more than once. Just want to mention that IMO some of the most important things on any road vehicle when in use [not necessarily in this order]:

- Tires
- Brakes
- Steering box
- Front end links
- Springs
- Shocks [air bags too if so equipped]
- Sway bars
- Dampeners

I recommend, if your shocks are truly shot and you plan to do much road travel, that you find a way to at least put new on front. Of course much better to do all four positions.

Wondering, just a thought... Are there RV dismantling/wrecking yards which might have shocks to fit your needs - at big discount compared to new??

Best luck!

Art
Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Installed Bilstins 3 years ago on our 1982 Pace Arrow p 30 30 footer w/454
.Added airlifts 90 lbs front 100 rears. We tow a Genesis on a Karkaddy SS.
Very disappointed with the bilstiens. Thinking about air shocks next on rears
Would like to try Konis but are out of our price range.
Really no difference if 70 gal fuel tank full or empty same with blk / gray and fresh water tanks full or empty. Just my 2cents
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #9

I had been liking the Monroe Gas RV Magnums for the past couple of years. For the expressways and smooth roads the Monroes have been very good. But this last 800 mile trip over some wavy and coarse back roads the front shocks weren't controlling the bounce very well and the road vibration was bothering my wife a bit more than usual. I had tried the Koni adjustables prior to the Monroe's but I couldn't get them to perform well at all.
I just caught a deal on a pair of Koni FSD's for the front. I'll mount them up next week and post a comparison.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
I had been liking the Monroe Gas RV Magnums for the past couple of years. For the expressways and smooth roads the Monroes have been very good. But this last 800 mile trip over some wavy and coarse back roads the front shocks weren't controlling the bounce very well and the road vibration was bothering my wife a bit more than usual. I had tried the Koni adjustables prior to the Monroe's but I couldn't get them to perform well at all.
I just caught a deal on a pair of Koni FSD's for the front. I'll mount them up next week and post a comparison.
Thanks! - I look forward to your shock absorber comparison. Not going to change shocks till I feel confident the new ones will do a real good job.

Current shocks are the originals [near as mechanics and I can tell]. They still seem to function OK; even though 23 yrs. and 36K miles old.

However, I do like good control under all circumstances and feel that there are likely better shocks to use.

So far... have heard good and bad results on different brands from different people.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #11

If you don't mind spending the money get Koni FSD's I replaced the Bilsteins at 75,000 miles on my P30 chassis coach 2 years ago, and I can say with certainty that the Koni FSD's improved the handling, whether it improved it to the tune of $650 (DIY install) is a matter of debate.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
If you don't mind spending the money get Koni FSD's I replaced the Bilsteins at 75,000 miles on my P30 chassis coach 2 years ago, and I can say with certainty that the Koni FSD's improved the handling, whether it improved it to the tune of $650 (DIY install) is a matter of debate.
TY for input. $650 for all four... I imagine. Will look into Koni FSD!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #13

As I recall they were in the $650 ballpark for all 4 when I did mine a couple of years ago, I bought them from Brazels / Ultra-RV products, their price was competitive and they participate on this forum, so I like supporting them when I can.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
As I recall they were in the $650 ballpark for all 4 when I did mine a couple of years ago, I bought them from Brazels / Ultra-RV products, their price was competitive and they participate on this forum, so I like supporting them when I can.
Looked into Koni shock absorber mfg's website. Seem good quality. Each brand producer has high-promo video re why theirs is best. I'm paying close attention to end-user reviews; particularly you guys on this forum.

Will most likely drive/use "Sweetie" for a while to see how she actually handles on different roads/hills and in various weather conditions... with current equipment. That will give me a base-line to refer to as I alter her suspension a bit.

To date... only driven her 100 miles on mostly hwy.; with some not to steep or curvy or long hills. So far I enjoy her road-feel "in general"... but, will probably like to stiffen her ride up. She has somewhat of a marshmallow feel on bumps and turns. My decades owning construction co have been filled driving HD dump trucks and HD 1 ton PU's. I do like the feel of handling rigs with relatively rigid suspension.

Tags
abs