Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #15

I just found a 1990 33' Itasca Windcruiser for sale locally in good condition for $3400, if anyone has any thoughts on that one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #16

Brochure

Here is the brochure in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...indcruiser.pdf

I liked the design of these. We looked at one but it was all worn out. Everything in it had been used to end of its useful life. But the initial quality seemed good. If I had found one in good shape we would have bought it.

Have your test driven it? Did you crawl under it with your creeper? Have you opened every cabinet and looked in every nook and cranny? Did you test all the systems? If you did and your still happy with it then I'd suggest taking it to a shop for a professional evaluation of the truck part of it. You'll then have an idea of how much you'll need to spend on tires, suspension, hoses, fuel filters, brakes etc.

We ended up buying a '94 Winnebago (same brand as Itasca) and have been happy with it. But it is best to go into it with eyes wide open. The price seems low so I'd expect they have priced in some known problems. Nothing wrong with that, just make sure you know what your getting into.

micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Got mine for $2200 also.. Though it needs tires..
So did our Rockwood, but I do like the idea of zero time tires to start with.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #18

My only caution is about pre-1990 rigs. Most of them will have carburators (a French irregular verb meaning "leave well enough alone"). We had an 85 Class C with the Ford 460 and it was VERY expensive to maintain.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Cheaper than a Diesel...
Old 06-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have no problems with carbs-I have at one time or another rebuilt them all. 1/2/4bbl 2X4bbl 3X2bbl up/down and side draft CV's Carter/Holley/Rodchester/Zenith/Ford. I did not find carbs hard to work on-you just have to mind your P's and Q's.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #21

The 1990 33' Itasca Windcruiser was a real deal apparently, it was immediately purchased. :-(
Old 06-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #22

I've recently purchased an 89 Winnebago Warrior. She was in great shape and well taken care of. I feel we got a great deal at $4500.

I'm super impressed in the construction quality; heavy and solid. For example the screen around the roof vent is constructed of extruded aluminum not plastic like current RVs.

I had a 2000 hybrid travel trailer before that I owned since new. I took good care of her but she actually disintegrated on our last trip. I had to screw the bunk ends into the trailer just so we could tow it home.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #23

I'm pretty impressed also

I'm pretty impressed with the quality on our '94 Winnebago. Your note on the screen caught my attention. On our last trip our dog could see us standing outside for a tour. She proceeded to claw madly at the passenger side window where the screen is on the inside. I figured the screen would be shot when I got back to the RV. Not one tear in it. I was amazed as she was really going at it and looked like she was trying to dig her way out with both front paws.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #24

Anyone have any experience with a 1986 Cruise Air 30 ft. I not looking too hard for an rv at the moment, since renting a spot near civilization where I can also have a German Shepherd seems near impossible. I just keep my eyes open is all. If I could actually have what I wanted, it would be one of those old 40ft Eagle Bus Conversion Coaches. I think I would enjoy living out in the country in one, full-time. If wishes were pennies ...
30ft motor home $4,000.00
Old 06-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
]Just feel I should say again that the model or chassis of an older motor home matters very little in comparison to how it was treated and maintained.

Cheap is relative.

A MH that leaks is no bargain at $4000. A MH that needs all new tires is no bargain (RV tires are good for only about 8 years- learn how to read a DOT date code.
Air conditioners and appliances all have limited life expectancies and will need replacing at some point. This can be a heavy expense.

You can literally shovel money down an old RV and never see the end of the repairs, or you can take plenty of time and a knowledgeable friend and buy a well-maintained unit that will only need moderate amounts of cash to keep it floating.

So if you ask "Is XYZ a good deal?" there is only one way to answer. Maybe it is, maybe not. But you'll only figure that out if you have the knowledge and ability to crawl around and check every system before purchase.

Or you can rely on luck. That works sometimes.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I looked all the way back to the 80s. The bus style RVs were what I considered "quality". But price, age, and weight looked for something newer. Early to mid 90s non slide on a GM chassis worked well for me. Id still have it if it wasnt totaled
Old 06-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmalone View Post
Craigslist seems to be ~ 80% scammers, what's the deal?
I sell things all the time on Criagslist and have never ran into an issue. I also bought our motor home and helped find the one that my in-laws bought exclusively through Craigslist. Between the two motor homes purchased I looked at at least a half dozen in person; generally spending about 4-5 hours on a thorough inspection. I never ran into any issues at all with the sellers. In fact most were extremely nice and very flexible with their time. The guy we ended up buying our 1984 Winnebago from actually drove it to my house and left it for 2 days for me to do the inspection. It is generally very easy to spot a scam. If it seems way to good to be true, IT IS! If they want you to WIRE money to hold the RV, DON'T! Common sense will prevail in any sales transaction, be prepared and do a lot of research. NADA guide prices are only a aid (good starting point). Any given item is only worth what someone will pay, not what a website speculates someone will pay. As for your price range of $3,000 for a decade old rv, that seems unrealistic. Most class A's that are 25 years old and well maintained still sell for more than that. I also have to agree with some of the other posters, build quality of older rv's that have survived this long is generally good and not the issue. You would be better off trying to find an older rv that does not have any water damage. If you have the abilities to do a thorough inspection arrange to do one, if you don't then paying someone to do an inspection is invaluable. If the seller will not agree to an inspection then they are hiding something. Also I have found that if someone tells you that they don't remember how something works it is because they haven't used it. Generally because it didn't work.

To answer you original question my in-laws and I own 80's Winnebago's and we have found the quality to be great. No major problems or issues.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of personal thoughts ...... pre '93 generally means 3 speed transmission, carbs and about 8-10% less MPG's. Secondly, find a reputable mobile RV repair person so that when you find your dream RV you can get it checked out. I'd much rather pay that guy $100-200 and know what I'm getting instead of blowing $3000 on an older rig that needs another $2000 just to get it on the road. Tires alone can be expensive. Six of them can be anywhere between $1500 and $2500 or more. Broaden your search because a newer ('95 for example) may have newer tires and just be in over all better condition.

I've dealt with many sales and purchases on CL and have never had an issue. Just use your head and check out what you're getting. Sold my last MH on CL and got exactly what I wanted. We were both happy. I was honest with them and they had CASH !!!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome