Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #57

foretravels look like they are well built

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #58

beavers

Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #59

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulobast25 View Post
foretravels look like they are well built
They are!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #60

why give up if you have a german shepherd my white goes every where with me i have only had one place on the texas coast question me i took a chance drove 300 miles went to check in told them about the dog they walked to rv i told them her name opened the door they said her name told her to sit and shake told me no problem keep her on a lease but wanted no complaints from others
Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #61
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish
why give up if you have a german shepherd my white goes every where with me i have only had one place on the texas coast question me i took a chance drove 300 miles went to check in told them about the dog they walked to rv i told them her name opened the door they said her name told her to sit and shake told me no problem keep her on a lease but wanted no complaints from others
Ok, help me out. Can't quite make the connection between this and vintage rv,s.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #62

Yes, I second that. How did German Shepherd get in? I got a laugh out of it through.

An additional comment on best coaches of 85-95. Oregon made some very good coaches during that period. The four that come to mind are Country Coach, Monaco, Beaver, and Safari.

1. Country Coaches built when the company was owned and built by the Lee family before selling to National were motor homes made by quality craftsmen.
2. Monaco was right down the road from CC and during this time period build some of their best ones.
3. Beaver likewise in this time period was a small company with gorgeous interiors.
4. Safari originally built simple solid built coaches at a lower price than the above three. But very good motor homes.

After a bunch of mergers, buy outs, corporate foolishness and greed many of these machines became of lower quality. CC sold to National who could not afford them. Beaver bought Safari and for some reason that produced quality reductions in both. Monaco bought Beaver and that did not bode well for either of those. Safari by this time got dragged into Monaco. I hope I got all the details right here. I am going by memory. My memory is not photographic.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #63

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly116 View Post
Love the camper and is built like a rock
Beautiful! Question: Did you use Poli Glow or something similar on the finish? It looks brand new!

Also, I see somebody laying napping in their pup on the first picture....did you know who that is or a neighbor? Great pup/pic in there...

Great pics btw!!

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #64

Page 3 last post
Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a 1994 Fleetwood Bounder and were very pleased with it. Of course everyone has their own needs and wants but this one worked very well for us. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
We had a 1994 Fleetwood Bounder and were very pleased with it. Of course everyone has their own needs and wants but this one worked very well for us. JMHO
I found mine on CL and learned a lot of expensive lessons so far.

First in my mind is to buy a brand that is still in business.
Second, if there is any sign of a water leak anywhere, walk away.
Third, if the owner cannot make everything in it work, walk away.

I cannot remember how many sellers told me that everything works, hahaha follow my adventures on this forum to see the stuff I had to fix. I bought it 8 months ago and am still getting it ready for a first trip. I am up to the leveling system and power steps now and only have about 20 things left on my punch list
Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #67

quality

same thing happened to rockwood.

Compare an 88 rockwood to an 89 and the difference in build quality, features, looks, ergonomics and exclusivity was dramatic.. like camparing a lexus to a lumina.......

craftsmanship went into the toilet.....out with oak and ceramic tile, and in came formica, and pressboard cabinets with woodgrain contact paper...

I like beaver class a coaches from the same time period...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Yes, I second that. How did German Shepherd get in? I got a laugh out of it through.

An additional comment on best coaches of 85-95. Oregon made some very good coaches during that period. The four that come to mind are Country Coach, Monaco, Beaver, and Safari.

1. Country Coaches built when the company was owned and built by the Lee family before selling to National were motor homes made by quality craftsmen.
2. Monaco was right down the road from CC and during this time period build some of their best ones.
3. Beaver likewise in this time period was a small company with gorgeous interiors.
4. Safari originally built simple solid built coaches at a lower price than the above three. But very good motor homes.

After a bunch of mergers, buy outs, corporate foolishness and greed many of these machines became of lower quality. CC sold to National who could not afford them. Beaver bought Safari and for some reason that produced quality reductions in both. Monaco bought Beaver and that did not bode well for either of those. Safari by this time got dragged into Monaco. I hope I got all the details right here. I am going by memory. My memory is not photographic.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
First in my mind is to buy a brand that is still in business.
Second, if there is any sign of a water leak anywhere, walk away.
Third, if the owner cannot make everything in it work, walk away.
I second this. We traded a motorcycle for an '88 Hawkins that has a few issues. I was OK with a few issues but it has turned into a few largish issues that require a little more work than I was anticipating. Add to it a seller that was a little less than forthcoming than I would like.

That all said, the Hawkins is built like a tank, solid oak cabinetry, Corian surfaces, brand name accessories everywhere. But everything is old and needs some attention. To top it off, it rides on a John-Deere chassis. Try finding a good source for brake rotors (mine are in excellent shape btw). I still think I did OK on the deal, but after digging in I realize that there were a lot of short cuts taken in the maintenance of this rig.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatpony View Post
I second this. We traded a motorcycle for an '88 Hawkins that has a few issues. I was OK with a few issues but it has turned into a few largish issues that require a little more work than I was anticipating. Add to it a seller that was a little less than forthcoming than I would like.

That all said, the Hawkins is built like a tank, solid oak cabinetry, Corian surfaces, brand name accessories everywhere. But everything is old and needs some attention. To top it off, it rides on a John-Deere chassis. Try finding a good source for brake rotors (mine are in excellent shape btw). I still think I did OK on the deal, but after digging in I realize that there were a lot of short cuts taken in the maintenance of this rig.
Almost every used rig we looked at either one or both of the same things popped up from the owner

1. There is no propane in the tank so we cannot run the stove, the water heater, the furnace or the fridge but don't worry, everything works perfect.

2. There is no water in the tank so I can't pressurize the system, but don't worry, everything works perfect.

I almost forgot this one And the ac units only need a little freon

I just looked a Brand New Winnebago 26P and got the same things, the salesman explained to me that they have not serviced the unit yet, but don't worry, everything will work perfect when you take it home. At least the ac worked.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bilito, were you listening in on the conversation we had with the seller of our Southwind?

Don't forget the: "I don't know what happened, the generator was working. I stopped for gas, it quit, and now I can't get it to start."

Bill W

Tags
motorhome