Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill001 View Post
Bilito, were you listening in on the conversation we had with the seller of our Southwind?

Don't forget the: "I don't know what happened, the generator was working. I stopped for gas, it quit, and now I can't get it to start."

Bill W
I have heard that one too

When I first retired from aviation, I took a job as a car salesman at a new car dealer and they sent us all to car selling school. BTW, That job only lasted a short time, people do not like car salesmen.

The first day the teacher writes on the board in big letters, "BUYERS ARE LIARS" and says to us remember this because almost every word coming out of a buyers mouth is a lie.

The biggest lies you will hear is "It was Never in an accident" and the other is "You are the first dealer I have visited"

They taught us how to spot frame damage and to look in the trunk, glove box or under the seat for auto brochures from other dealers

"Buyers Are Liars" I think that also applies to private sellers of used RV's

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #72

Yeah, the generator didn't run. He said "it conked out on the way home from our last trip" which was 2 days before we went to look at it. Turns out that had to be a lie, the carb is so gunked up inside that the BAD fuel pump just couldn't keep up. I replaced the pump which completely clogged the inlet to the bowl. It was empty when I took it off. I have a rebuild kit on the way but I am still not sure the control panel is any good. I need to get fuel to it first. BTW, I ran all new fuel line to it today.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatpony View Post
Yeah, the generator didn't run. He said "it conked out on the way home from our last trip" which was 2 days before we went to look at it. Turns out that had to be a lie, the carb is so gunked up inside that the BAD fuel pump just couldn't keep up. I replaced the pump which completely clogged the inlet to the bowl. It was empty when I took it off. I have a rebuild kit on the way but I am still not sure the control panel is any good. I need to get fuel to it first. BTW, I ran all new fuel line to it today.
I had to replace the three flexible rubber fuel lines on my Gen too, they looked good but when I pushed on one it cracked and started to leak
Old 09-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I had to replace the three flexible rubber fuel lines on my Gen too, they looked good but when I pushed on one it cracked and started to leak
I'm beginning to believe that RV stands for "Reach for the Visa!!" I still need to replace the passenger side power window motor, in dash radio, and the stupid heater / AC control panel. Luckily the motor and heater controls are out of mid 80's Dodge cars and easy to source.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #75

I have been through this a few times. I just try to focus on how nice it will be when finished and how knowledgeable I will be about the systems. It does pay to struggle through it.

Joe
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #76

Back on topic. Hawkins are as well built as anything out there.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #77

We've been very happy with the used '88 Winnie Super Chief we bought a couple of years back - it had 56K miles on it, and showed very little past owner "re-engineering" of structure or wiring that most older used RVs seem to automatically come with - plus, we got all the original documentation for the RV and all appliances.

Only unavoidable downside, is the fuel economy of the GM 454 gas engine - but that's certainly not unique - and the engine and drivetrain are all in excellent condition, I'd have NO qualms about starting out across the continent with it - as long as my SS $$$ could keep the tank filled!

Seems today's trend is to the hard and harsh wood or tiled floors, brilliant operating room white interiors - and away from softer and warmer interiors, to each their own, but in spite of it's relatively short 27 foot length, we have NO problems traveling or staying for extended periods in ours with complete comfort and relaxation.

Wish I had a brand new one just like it, but with a Cummins diesel instead of the 454 - here's a few pics:

I've just recently replaced the smaller CRT type TV with a new 22 inch flat screen model that fits like a glove - this rig is built like a battleship, is quite rugged, and gives up little era-correct build quality or luxury in trade for the lighter weight stuff often sold in later years - the same is true of our '88 Kit 5er:

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gary, we have the exact same RV as you only ours is an 89. Our layout is just a bit different as we have a dinette where you sofa is. It does fold down into an additional bed. Unfortunately the Arizona heat took it's toll on the headliner and shower wall covering. The headliner sagged and peeled in various spots. We still love ours though. Like you, the only negative issue is the MPG's. I would like to see how you retrofitted the new flat screen tv in. Our original crt one finally died.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah View Post
Gary, we have the exact same RV as you only ours is an 89. Our layout is just a bit different as we have a dinette where you sofa is. It does fold down into an additional bed. Unfortunately the Arizona heat took it's toll on the headliner and shower wall covering. The headliner sagged and peeled in various spots. We still love ours though. Like you, the only negative issue is the MPG's. I would like to see how you retrofitted the new flat screen tv in. Our original crt one finally died.
Here's a pic of the TV install - it's a 22 inch flatscreen, secured by a conventional articulating mount secured to the left side interior bulkhead. The TV is retained by bungee cords from the cabinet insides for secure travel and normal viewing, but can easily be loosened to allow it to be extended forward, and tilted as wished. There's about 1/4 inch at the top clearance to the ceiling, and the same to each of the side cabinet doors - the screen size itself is a bit larger than the size of the OEM opening, with the decorative frame removed.

I also want to point out the stapled padded headliner - after 24 years or so, our headlined was developing some sagging areas too - so I painted some 3/8 staples in a matching almond color, and stapled the headliner every 6 inches or so, for a sort of tufted look - it came out pretty nicely, and is now quite secure.

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Here's a pic of the TV install - it's a 22 inch flatscreen, secured by a conventional articulating mount secured to the left side interior bulkhead. The TV is retained by bungee cords from the cabinet insides for secure travel and normal viewing, but can easily be loosened to allow it to be extended forward, and tilted as wished. There's about 1/4 inch at the top clearance to the ceiling, and the same to each of the side cabinet doors - the screen size itself is a bit larger than the size of the OEM opening, with the decorative frame removed.

I also want to point out the stapled padded headliner - after 24 years or so, our headlined was developing some sagging areas too - so I painted some 3/8 staples in a matching almond color, and stapled the headliner every 6 inches or so, for a sort of tufted look - it came out pretty nicely, and is now quite secure.

My old CRT Color TV with VCR is installed in the dash just above the doghouse, has anyone with that setup changed it for a flat TV
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I really like the staple idea, that looks very nice.

We removed our TV that was in the hole in the dash. What we have done for now as we aren't sure where we want to mount the bigger 30 inch or so, don't know the exact size as I'm not home. But we just sit it on the tray in front of the hole when we want to use it and wrap it when traveling and sit beside the one recliner. For now we have a small set of stacking drawers in the hole, with velcro, that is not going to be our final solution.

I thinking of putting something decrorative in the hole and a set of hinges to make it useful storage. It does clamp in place now, but am uncertain, so we are sure open to ideas. Would love to have the TV mounted on the ceiling in some manner to rotate down.

We had the one in the bedroom removed and put one on an arm in the cabinet and fasten it with a bungee when not in use, but its much smaller then the one in the living room.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #82

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Parents had an '83 (I think it was an '83) Foretravel front engine gas unit. Also built like a tank but on the Oskosh chassis as I remember. Should still be out there going strong.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome