Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Best Built Motorhome Models ~ '85-'95 ??

Is there a particular motorhome model built in this decade which would be a great deal if I could find one on the cheap? It would have to be somewhere local to me, but I might just come across something and not even recognize the deal? Under $3000 would be great. I gave up looking for diesel's, they are just way too expensive $$.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
From personal experience, Barth made an extremely well built rig in the mid 80's.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Rexhall, Barth, Bluebird

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Foretravel and Rockwood. I got our Rockwood for under 2200.00. Check your local Craigslist. You may want to go a little older than the last decade. My 87 Rockwood has all you need. Bed rooms/kitchen/oven/stove/gen/forced hot air heater/hot water/AC. Could of had as optional equipment central vac. What you will not get is washer/drier and slide outs. But if it is old enough you can cheaply register it as a "antique" car.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

Yeah, I read about the older slideouts that slide out, but then not back in OMG or how they will leak and that's it's nearly impossible to get inside there to fix it. The washer/dryers take 3hrs to cycle, so let's see. ~1.5g fuel /hr for 3hrs and one tiny load. I THINK NOT!!! Forced heat is a waste of propane and req's elect, too but I could easily fix that by not using the one thats built-in.

Craigslist seems to be ~ 80% scammers, what's the deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
Foretravel and Rockwood. I got our Rockwood for under 2200.00. Check your local Craigslist. You may want to go a little older than the last decade. My 87 Rockwood has all you need. Bed rooms/kitchen/oven/stove/gen/forced hot air heater/hot water/AC. Could of had as optional equipment central vac. What you will not get is washer/drier and slide outs. But if it is old enough you can cheaply register it as a "antique" car.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmalone View Post

This is a sign of the times.

CL is still a good resource, but as with all vehicle transactions, use caution and trust your instincts.

If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmalone View Post
I've used craigslist several times, my wife buying "antique" (as in old furniture) and myself, in the past 2 years I've sold 2 vehicles, and purchased 2.

Just Friday I finalized the sale of my silverado SS. Guy drove up from Kansas City, paid cash near my asking price.

I've gotten a LOT of calls where the first thing they say is "what's the least you'll take for it?" I either bitch em out or hang up on em, or if I'm in a good mood, remind them what my asking price is.

I've zero experience with "scammers." I think most buyers are "flippers." They are looking for a bargain with the intention of immediately selling for a profit.

To sell something, it has to be priced right, as in cheap. Price too high, you get no calls.
Never put your actual email address in the ad. Put your cel phone in, but write out many of the numbers. Better yet, get a prepaid "throw away" cel phone. And cash rules.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used CL to buy vehicles and found some sellers talk up the vehicle and say they have had many interested callers and it's going to sell before you get there.
"Just send a paypal payment of $___ to my email address and I will hold it for you"

This is the most common CL scam that I know about firsthand.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Got mine for $2200 also.. Though it needs tires..
Old 05-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with what the others have said about craigslist. I've used it a lot for selling and buying in the past three years. I've met some really strange people but some really good people too. In fact one of my best friends I met because I was giving away landscaping rock through craigslist. I've never had a problem with a bot finding my phone number either - but I don't list the area code (there's only one here). All the scams I've gotten were phishing emails from for sale ads I'd posted.

As for looking for vehicles on craigslist, don't buy anything you haven't seen. Do your homework on what the price should be and really carefully look over the vehicles. If you're like me, you'll want someone to go with you because when I decide I like something, I'll overlook all manner of stuff -- not meaning to -- I just don't see it for some reason.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #11

The Airstream Classic wasn't too shabby, pretty nice coach for it's time...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #12

A dentist just posted an '83 Barth. I don't have the money but could be a good deal for someone. Vintage 1983 Barth Custom Built Motorhome
Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #13

We bought our '88 Winnie off EBay - seller was very nice, and we've been entirely happy with the MH - as for diesels, dunno about your tastes or expectations, but any "cheapie" diesel from the time period you specify, I wouldn't touch - they were usually underpowered, and if work is needed true money pits!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #14

The 80's Winnebago Super Chief RVs with the 454 chevy motor seem to have been liked by a lot of people. I guess that's why they have been in the movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
We bought our '88 Winnie off EBay - seller was very nice, and we've been entirely happy with the MH - as for diesels, dunno about your tastes or expectations, but any "cheapie" diesel from the time period you specify, I wouldn't touch - they were usually underpowered, and if work is needed true money pits!

Tags
motorhome