Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #1

Best RV Magazines for us vintage folks

What are the best all around Magazines to subscribe to that not only
talks about destination but also has lots of DIY tips and tricks etc????

I recall the days when Magazines offered a free copy to examine before you subscribe, do any of the mags do that anymore
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've signed up recently for free travel guides from various states. Most also send you the official state maps along with brochures for camping areas, state parks, BLM land etc.
As far as DYI stuff I can't help but I'm interested too!.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragingbull View Post
I've signed up recently for free travel guides from various states. Most also send you the official state maps along with brochures for camping areas, state parks, BLM land etc.
As far as DYI stuff I can't help but I'm interested too!.
Wow for sure I thought I would gets lots of advice on a magazine, there is one called Motor Homes I think I will buy
Old 03-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a couple of Vintage RV groups on Yahoo Groups. You might look there as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't think any of the current RV magazines are worth spit. Mighty thin on meat and mostly advertisements.

The only exception I can think of is the Escapees magazine, which comes with membership.

If you like "tips", try the RV 10 Minute Tech books- well worth it.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmm, sounds like a business opportunity to me..... a vintage RV owners mag. You may have identified a niche market. Hmmm.....
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Hmm, sounds like a business opportunity to me..... a vintage RV owners mag. You may have identified a niche market. Hmmm.....
It does not need to be just for vintage RV, I guess any RV over 10 years of age will have lots of issues that need looking into. Lots of "how to stuff", and lots of reviews of cool places to visit with pros and cons about each.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Why would anyone pay inflated dollars for a print magazine that is inferior in speed, content and information to any number of internet forums?

It's why print is dying.

A website, now, devoted to vintage might actually have legs.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #9

I enjoy both Motor Home & Trailer Life magazine. The Highways mag from the Good Sam membership has too much advertisement for both Good Sam's and Camping World products.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I much prefer magazines. Take just this forum (to which I am addicted) but if you lose a thread you have been following (without contributing to) you may never find it again. So, I wind up printing pages - which then becomes a notebook, but not very well indexed. I have some old (really old - 70's) magazines which did have how-to articles, ideas to improve storage, mechanical suggestions etc.

I will never buy a brand new rv - so Motorhome magazine, and the others which are part of subscriptions are interesting to look at, but not so valuable for new ideas to improve the rvs in service.

I know the print media is fading, but I don't think the internet, websites etc are a great trade.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz View Post
... but if you lose a thread you have been following (without contributing to) you may never find it again. ...

JoAnn
Don't forget that you don't have to contribute to a thread to get a subscription to it. Just use the thread tools to add a subscription.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Why would anyone pay inflated dollars for a print magazine that is inferior in speed, content and information to any number of internet forums?

It's why print is dying.

A website, now, devoted to vintage might actually have legs.
I have a magazine rack in my bathroom and while spending time there today I noticed I have several "this old House" and a "This Old Boat" magazine in my collection, Why not a "This Old RV" rag? The internet is great but when you are sitting around reading about how some Guy or Gal found a cool. way to polish up your rusty dirty wheels or how to keep your wiper blades from deteriorating or how to bleed your brakes, I am not gonna head to the internet to look that stuff up and 20 bucks a year for DIY info and some ads for stuff we could really use would be nice to see.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just read Trailer Life magazine. They have a section on warranty problems where readers write in about a dealer or manufacturer not fixing a problem within their warranty period of shortly out of warranty. There is also usually one article on a major project like replacing a window or swapping out a frig. In the back of the mag there is a page or two of helpful little things to make RVing easier. maybe once a year they will do an article on a actual vintage RV.

I would never pay cover price for the magazine. Too much what I call "fluff" not enough print.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
Don't forget that you don't have to contribute to a thread to get a subscription to it. Just use the thread tools to add a subscription.
I had not explored all of the features of this site. Thank you.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vintage