Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Best sealant?

I am going out today to purchase some silicone sealant to seal all the windows on the outside of the coach. Anyone reccomend the better to use as to not have to do this project every year? Also why I am add it, might as well as what everyone use's for their roofs. Mine looks like it hasn't been done in years and it is like black and grey concrete up there and cracked to high heaven. I have a water leak around the front passenger window and have tore off the thick wall paper and sheething, so today I am re-sealing all the windows, fixing that area under window and painting the entire interrior. might take me to tomorrow to finish, but I want it all done. Thanks for your help.
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A better solution for the windows would be to remove them and replace the butyl tape. You have had 23 years of service out of them and new butyl should give that much more. It can be purchased at hardware stores ie. Lowes, Home Depot, Ace. After installing the windows run a small (1/8") bead of polyurethane caulk across the top of the frame and down the sides about 2".
For the roof there are two scools of thought. Some prefer to use Eternabond tape and cover over all seams, either over the old caulk, or remove the old and replace with Etermabond.
Others prefer Docor self leveling caulk, and just go over the old stuff.
In either case the area must be thoroughly cleaned to achieve the best bond. I would not recommend using silicone for any sealing.
There is a lot more work this way but the result will be worth the effort.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do they make a clear polyurathane caulk? I went to lowe's and home depot and all they had was black and white. With the color of the frames being brown and the coach beige either 1 of those colors I am not really happy with.
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Globbing on more sealant of any kind on the exterior is not going to seal a leaking window. I would recommend you do as az bound suggests and go ahead and pull and reseal the windows with new butyl tape.

Its not difficult (maybe a little tedious) and doesn't take all that long. You'll need 2 people so one can be inside and one outside. Here's a to show you how.

Silicone is sometimes used at the TOP of windows to keep down black streaks, but its pretty much useless as a primary sealant.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes they make a clear polyurethane.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote