Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Unhappy black water tank removal

Does anyone know the process to remove the black water tank on a 1988 Bounder? I know the toilet has to be removed. What else needs to be taken off or out? Vent? Does the shower dump into black tank? Has anyone else done this before? How hard is it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
have not done this but FWIW, the shower should not dump into the black tank, it should dump into your gray tank as there are no "solids" coming out of your shower... sorry i couldn't be of any more help than that... where are you located?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:27 AM   #3

Black tank removal

YNGBLD - holding tanks are usually fastened underneath with brackets wood strapping and anything else that will work- if you have a water station in one of your compartments with the dump valves located there then there may be some additional brackets etc. holding on to the pipes as well- usually (but not always) the pipes, toilet, tank vent and any other pipe that drains into the tank will go through rubber seals installed on the top of the tank and in some cases have some type of sealant applied around the pipe as well and this is where it can be a real PITA to remove- when dropping the tank the pipes should slide out of these seals but sometimes you will have difficulty - it is possible to have a washroom sink drain into the black tank (if the sink is beside the toilet and the shower is located elswhere in the coach) - also some RV's may have the pipes glued directly to the tank - I have seen this on two older class A's- in this case you will have to cut the pipes to remove the tanks and re-plumb the drain pipes before installing the tank- this includes cutting the toilet flange out and splitting the vent pipes and any other drain pipe- I hope this is not the case on yours and the pipes will slide out as you drop the tank- also try and keep the dump valves connected to avoid any spillage ( if you can remove the plastic T handles to avoid breaking them) and flushing the tank as much as possible would be a good idea before you start- this is a two man job - depending on the size the tanks can be heavy even when empty - wear safety goggles and gloves as well and have a water hose nearby- depending on the depth of the tank you may need additioanl clearance under the coach to drop the tank vertically - some you can slide out, some have to be dropped first and then you slide it out sideways- check this by measuring the depth of the tank first - nothing is worse than getting a holding tank part way down and then finding out you do not have enough clearance to get it out from under the coach - usually travel trailers and 5th wheels have lots of room underneath but motorhomes can be a problem - once you have the tank removed do a complete inspection of the tank and all the drain and vent pipes for damage including the pipe seals and anything else that may cause a problem for you when you reinstall the tank- is the tank located on top of something else on the chassis such as the driveshaft or exhaust system that may have to be removed first? - this all adds up timewise so take that into consideration if you figure on doing this in a weekend and any other repairs to prepare for installation may take extra time - some RV's have the tanks totally accessable some do not so do a complete inspection first before you start- of all the RV repairs dropping holding tanks can be the most time consuming and aggravating in some cases - and if you have to replace the tank let us know there are sources for tanks -hope this helps!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:52 AM   #4

Thanx for the help!! The black tank and the grey tank are located next to each other in a compartment. I pulled the toilet and now have to try and pull the vent stack. It looks as if there is a hole in the bottom of the tank a little smaller than a dime. It looks as if someone accidentally drilled it. The tanks look pretty big. Can this be fixed and if so how? Or do I have to replace and how much might that set me back? I am located in Baldwinsville, NY

Thanx again!!
Dave
Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
i would try to patch it
aotozone or advance (pick your favourite parts store) may have plastic gas tank repair kit
i would follow directions and expect you will have good results at a much lower price
brianj
Old 07-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #6

Black tank removal

YNGBLD - there are plastic tank repair kits available such as tncruiser has mentioned- check with your local RV dealer - I will check on holding tank suppliers and maybe other forum members can help out here- here are some sites is www.plastic-mart.com , www.tank-depot.com , www.dmplastics.com , www.polywatertanks.com , www.pellanddirect.com , www.pplmotorhomes.com , www.watertanks.com www.rvtanksdirect.com , www.rvpartscountry.com -they have repairs kits #388436 and grommets for the pipes and other parts.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
i would try to patch it
aotozone or advance (pick your favourite parts store) may have plastic gas tank repair kit
i would follow directions and expect you will have good results at a much lower price
brianj
ABSOLUTELY!

IF you are able to see, and get reasonable access to the damaged/leaking area, that will be the best and easiest way to go - especially in tanks mounted inside compartments. Just be fanatically sure to completely drain, clean and dry the area to be patched - and don't be skimpy with the patch area - use LOTS of overlap for maximum strength and leak-proof bonding - rough up the area to be patched with a Dremel tool or abrasive to expose fresh and clean material for the patch to adhere to.

Good luck!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #8

Hi our Bounder is a 1987 model. In the manuals and paperwork for our vintage of Bounder & looking at the tanks it appears that ours is accessible through the compartment door where the drain valves are.

The cubby at the rear on the drivers side ( if yours is the same ) where you reach the dump valve/s for both grey & black tanks.You look directly at the sides of both tanks , with what looks like just blocks holding them in. Dont know about the vent stacks and how easily they would come out but looks like just sealant on ours.

Good luck in your quest!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #9

I think I got it. The vent stack screws into the black tank. Removed the tank and sealed the hole. Paulond do you happen to have a wire diagram of the black and grey tank?
Old 07-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngbld14 View Post
I think I got it. The vent stack screws into the black tank. Removed the tank and sealed the hole. Paulond do you happen to have a wire diagram of the black and grey tank?
Wiring diagram? For the sensor wires? Haven't got specifics for that , but have got a 33 page PDF for our vintage coaches from Fleetwood with 12V and 115V circuits plus the water plumbing. Dont think it has the wiring at the tank end , but from what I can remember it shows the front panel with the lights/switches and gauge for tank levels and battery condition.

If you need it can email it to you. Just send us a pm
Old 07-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
You may want to look into one of these Boat Drain Plugs - iboats.comview_id.470214 they work for boats and don't invade the tank to cause build up. The price is right and if you can get to it you won't need to remove the tank.

Dick

Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote