Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Blocked outlet?

I want to add a light to my holding tank bay so I can keep it from freezing this winter. However I discovered what I thought was the second outlet is blocked off somehow. it seems solid. but I'm not sure the purpose of that kind of a plate.

Has anyone seen an outlet like this in an RV and if so is that actually a knock out of some kind or is it really meant to just look like a fake place to put a plug like that? I'm not sure how to open it up but if anyone knows that would be great. Currently the only open plug I need for my converter so I cant spare it since I was going to plug the lamp into a thermocube to turn it on only when needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151115_132438.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	112024

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #2

Since both outlets would be in the same circuit if they were both present why not just use a 3-way tap and plug both things into the one available outlet? If you really feel the need to have two places to plug something in you'll need to replace the outlet itself.

I don't actually know but I'd suspect the single outlet was because it was cheaper and they never expected anyone to use the second one as it's not in a living space.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
Since both outlets would be in the same circuit if they were both present why not just use a 3-way tap and plug both things into the one available outlet? If you really feel the need to have two places to plug something in you'll need to replace the outlet itself.

I don't actually know but I'd suspect the single outlet was because it was cheaper and they never expected anyone to use the second one as it's not in a living space.
As long as I can find a T shaped one that should work just fine. I was hoping there was a trick to open up that hole though but that's probably what I'm going to go with instead.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #4

This comes up quite often.

Recent thread

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:41 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The standard wall outlet in your home is called a "DUPLEX" outlet. This is because there are in fact two outlets.. Just like a "Duplex" house is one builiding with two homes in it.

The outlet pictured above is a SIMPLEX designed to fit in a duplex box.. You can also get SIMPLEX outlets which do not have the 2nd punch out but they build them likke the one pictured to save money (less inventory) I do wish they would not use them. and you can replace it with a DUPLEX if you need must.