Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:46 AM   #15

Geocritter, I should make it clear I'm talking about the on-board generator. Not the ignition of the rv itself. The RV starts rough, but is working fine.

I think the rocker switch on the on-board genny is bad. Anytime I hook it to the solenoid, it runs the solenoid non-stop.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 06:06 AM   #16

What kind of generator is it? My 94 Holiday Rambler has a 7KW Onan. I had to replace the circuit board in it to get it working correctly (it would only run if I held the starter switch down). I was able to purchase a new circuit board from Dinosaur Electronics.

Steve

Old 08-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
What kind of generator is it? My 94 Holiday Rambler has a 7KW Onan. I had to replace the circuit board in it to get it working correctly (it would only run if I held the starter switch down). I was able to purchase a new circuit board from Dinosaur Electronics.

Steve
It's a Koehler 4.5ckm21-RV powered by a KT17EP. Which seems to be a glorified way of saying they threw a John Deere engine on it haha.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's the switch. The control board looks pretty primitive... But who knows. Process of elimination, if its not the switch then I'll continue looking at problems. And if you have any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

William
Old 10-31-2016, 10:43 AM   #18

So a few updates guys. Sorry for the silence, haven't had net and my phone broke...

1st. Turns out the previous owner either didn't reseal the roof or did it wrong (betting on the latter of the two) so I have to reseal the roof. Not terribly bad leaks, the worst are actually the windows. So those need to be resealed.

2nd. We got it registered... Turns out the guy registered it as a pickup that had a built on camper... Luckily we weren't blamed for the back fees due to the illegal registration. Also it didn't pass smog, luckily we're exempt.

3rd. Fixed the battery drain, the guy had one of the positive cables leading through a bolt on the terminal... It melted. Fixed for now, but need to pick up a new terminal as it is a bit.. Rigged.

4th. Turns out the idiot installed fog lights. The switch had fog lights written next to it on sticky paper. I peeled it off to discover "emergency start" and the emergency start switch is now wired through the windshield wipers. So that's a pain in the ass.

5th. The heater works! About the only good news.

6th. Oh and the engine is a 454 and has less 50k miles so there's that. But I'm worried the alternator is going out as I can visibly see the voltage drop on the voltmeter when I turn the headlights on. And it also surged and fried my phone, literally setting it on fire when I was driving.

Me and my fiancee are debating on using bamboo for the flooring and counter tops. My thoughts is it would work better with the vibrations and flexing? And the walls we have a material in mind. Kind if worried about the cost of bamboo flooring, and if its even possible? Any advice on this would be nice.

I also plan in installing a couple batteries next to the dog house. There's a step in front of the dog house I plan to widen a little and hope to fit another two batteries there. Is this safe/smart? I really don't have anywhere else to install them I can think of.

Anyway, if you guys have any suggestion on generators it'd be appreciated, my budget is around $200 since I discovered the onboard as a burnt output wire all the way into the generator. Think someone ****ed with it and wired it wrong. Does this mean the stator could be bad? I can take a picture if it helps. The wire was green I think. But it looked like an electrical fire. For thus reason I haven't even bothered getting it running.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #19

don't tile your countertops, first off it's not luxurious. Secondly, it's not sanitary with the grout and, no matter how well you seal them, they turn color, constantly will have to scrub the lines. Look on CL and find some solid surface material that you can rework to fit
Old 10-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuget102 View Post
So a few updates guys. Sorry for the silence, haven't had net and my phone broke...

1st. Turns out the previous owner either didn't reseal the roof or did it wrong (betting on the latter of the two) so I have to reseal the roof. Not terribly bad leaks, the worst are actually the windows. So those need to be resealed.

2nd. We got it registered... Turns out the guy registered it as a pickup that had a built on camper... Luckily we weren't blamed for the back fees due to the illegal registration. Also it didn't pass smog, luckily we're exempt.

3rd. Fixed the battery drain, the guy had one of the positive cables leading through a bolt on the terminal... It melted. Fixed for now, but need to pick up a new terminal as it is a bit.. Rigged.

4th. Turns out the idiot installed fog lights. The switch had fog lights written next to it on sticky paper. I peeled it off to discover "emergency start" and the emergency start switch is now wired through the windshield wipers. So that's a pain in the ass.

5th. The heater works! About the only good news.

6th. Oh and the engine is a 454 and has less 50k miles so there's that. But I'm worried the alternator is going out as I can visibly see the voltage drop on the voltmeter when I turn the headlights on. And it also surged and fried my phone, literally setting it on fire when I was driving.

Me and my fiancee are debating on using bamboo for the flooring and counter tops. My thoughts is it would work better with the vibrations and flexing? And the walls we have a material in mind. Kind if worried about the cost of bamboo flooring, and if its even possible? Any advice on this would be nice.

I also plan in installing a couple batteries next to the dog house. There's a step in front of the dog house I plan to widen a little and hope to fit another two batteries there. Is this safe/smart? I really don't have anywhere else to install them I can think of.

Anyway, if you guys have any suggestion on generators it'd be appreciated, my budget is around $200 since I discovered the onboard as a burnt output wire all the way into the generator. Think someone ****ed with it and wired it wrong. Does this mean the stator could be bad? I can take a picture if it helps. The wire was green I think. But it looked like an electrical fire. For thus reason I haven't even bothered getting it running.
Bamboo is an excellent choice for floors and, reasonably priced. Not for countertops
Old 11-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #21

Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on using tile for anything really, the previous owner used tile in the shower and it just isn't holding up well. The grout is cracked, the tiles are broken, and in general tile isn't good.

I do like the material used for the shower walls though, and we think we're going to use that for the walls throughout the house. It looks like fake stone, and seems to be holding up well. Were kind of tired of the fake wood paneling.

At the moment I'm dealing with a possible fuel leak. That it someone is siphoning our gas, which is possible since the locking door is off of the gas tank. Betting on a leak though, so I plan to look under today to see if I can find a leak. Probably duct tape it until I can replace the hose.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #22

I have an 1988 Fleetwood Southwind with a chevy 454 drive. Many differences, but many similarities as well.

For flooring, I too wanted to go with wood, but elected to use a different product because of the ease of install, and the ease of maintenance.

The product I used looks very much like a wood laminate flooring, but it is a vinyl product that is available at Home Depot and Lowes. It looks like wood laminate, as I said, but because it is waterproof and vibration proof, it holds up great. I used it on my previous RV as well.

It is designed for people who make a rec room for the kids, or finish a cellar, or some other place that will see hard use. The problem I had found with many laminate wood floors is that they do not deal well with being wet. This stuff does not care, so when I used it in my camper, it did not care if the kids came in from the pool, or the dog came in wet. It always cleaned up great.

The other advantage is that it goes in easily, and acts as a sound dampener to the outside. (Not as good a carpet for sound, but better than wood)

One other comment that I might make for you to consider, is that many of us are a bit older than you, (I am 56) and for the last 20 years, most manufactures have built things that they presume will not be fixed but replaced. Us older guys grew up in a world where most things could be repaired. Not many people fix phones, they throw them out and get another. they do not fix most automotive parts any more, they throw them out and get another. This kind of thing is common now, but that does not mean you cannot fix things, just most people do not bother.

Most of the things in your camper were built at a time when far more parts were repaired than now. So, often you will get advice to throw it out and get another, because that is the common action today. However, you will be surprised how often people throw away a hundred dollar part, because it has a 2 dollar fault that is making it work poorly. If you know the fix, you saved 98 bucks. Very few modern repair professionals today will give you that advice however. They want the 100 dollar sale more than they want to help you. They also do not want to take the time to teach you how to make the fix.

That is why sites like this are so helpful. You will have access to people who want to give you advice, or share with you how they fixed their similar problem. They are not trying to sell you that 100 part.

So, have fun. That MH looks like a great and fun project. good luck.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #23

87 suncrest manual

I just bought a 87 suncrest and I don't have any manuals and can't find any. I am willing to pay for a copy if there is any way I can get a copy. My email is huskeytk@gmail.com
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #24

So ran into another problem. Didn't pay attention to the spark plug wires and one was rubbing on the chassis, and said wire is now two wires... Looks to be around $20 for all eight wires, not terribly bad but annoying. Going to zip tie the wires next time to prevent rubbing.

Thanks for the info ksagal. I'll look into that flooring when it comes closer to time for renovation.

And if anyone wants a copy of the manual I'll be happy to email it to them, I have the chassis manual for the engine and chassis itself as well as the manual for the motorhome (suncrest manual) and the Kohler 4.5kw manual and several others... When I find a friend who can scan them all I'll probably post them up here. Just wish I has a proper parts directory, but can't seem to find one.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #25

Meg the RV

Okay so first off we named the RV Megan, or Meg for short, on account of her being angel like and totally unreliable the next. Anyway, update time!

So I had issues with the RV starting. A ignition wire was cut in half, replaced all eight. Then it still didn't start, checked and rerouted wires five times before I called my old man up. He told me to take off the distributor cap and see if there was a mark for wire 1.

I did that. To find the rotor had literally exploded. Turned out to be a $40 fix (with new spark plugs) not bad I must say.

Anyway, what would of been a 10-20 minute job (never replaced a distributor cap and rotor before) turned into an hour, since I had to pick out all the small broken bits.

Although I was incredibly shocked when I turned the ignition (with my handy dandy screw driver... Key broke in the ignition...) I don't think she was running full capacity, since she was much louder and generally sounded healthier. That and there was the tell tale signs of unburnt fuel in the cylinders, it sounded like a small gun going off lol.

But after about 15 seconds, probably less, she stabilized. I haven't thrown in the new spark plugs yet since I wanted to see what the problem was. So I'm going to do that tomorrow.

I'll also post pictures tomorrow. Cya guys!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #26

Its been a while since I've posted here but that's because we just haven't financially been able yo afford a renovation.

But, we think we're ready to buy the materials.

First, I'm looking at proflex and probably putty tape to reseal around the windows (I'll need to remove them yo install the interior walls) I also need to replace the rubber strips that the sliding windows slide on, not sure what they're called off the top of my head.

And as far as the walls and roof I'm thinking of using Lauan plywood which cost $10 a sheet and I'll need about 25 sheets of it. I'll also need insulation, so any recommendations would be nice. Also I'd love to see some interesting ideas for the interior of the rv, I'll be redesigning the interior of the rv to allow more open space.

I'm thinking of moving the dinette to be on top of the doghouse somehow, and eating at the front seats. That'd allow us to make a small play area for our son, and maybe build a small toy chest for him.

But anyways, thanks for any help on this renovation. I'm currently sick so theres still time before I buy the materials, any ideas would be nice if you know of any better materials. Thanks guys.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #27

Finally got some progress done!

Sadly it was due to having found a rat nest.

We had the breaker (in our house) tripping randomly. When I pulled out the power converter entirely I found a rat nest built snugly against the output for the converter, so it's likely the converter was overheating causing too much draw on the cord. The converter is below one of the dinette benches on the floor.

We're currently running our 30 amp to a step down to a regular cord, so that may of been part of the reason. But it's likely if we were running a 30 amp our converter would of fried.. If it hasn't already.

Any advice on if this is fixable or not would be nice. So far, any time I try to hook the rv up and turn on the breakers in the rv it flips the power in the house.

Also, we went ahead and ripped out part of the dinette (just one side so far, but it's progress!) We plan to finish ripping it out probably tomorrow and replacing it with a flat floor, turning the spot into a play area for our child, and also making it feel more spacious.

We also removed the 'curtain skirts' above the windows, and it actually opened the space up. It doesn't feel as cramped as it did before, and the windows appear much bigger now. To me at least.

I also got the awning pulled out, thanks to a healthy amount of PB blaster and a fifth wheel hook.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #28

A little advice

I would highly recomend that you pull each and ever window out. Reseal with butyl tape. Insert window and caulk with lexel caulk. Utube has a video on how to do this. It is a DIY job. Any exterior roof leaks can be fixed with externa bond tape. Number one priority should be to fix and water leaks. Lexel caulk is about $8.50 per tube and can be found at Lowes or ACE hardware. You can just fix her up as you have the money. Keep us posted.