Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:24 AM   #1

Bought a 1987 Lakeview Suncrest

I have to say, I already love this RV. It has issues... like the on-board generator doesn't work. And the awning is wrapped in a odd way and it makes me scared to pull it out. And the headlights don't work. But it's mine, and for now she's my home.

Me and my fiancee plan to do a slow restoration type deal with this rv. Like she wants to tile the countertop for example. So it's an ongoing project, and it is our first rv so hopefully we don't botch it. And hey, for $2000, it seems like a deal.

Without further ado, pictures!

[IMG] http://i.imgur.com/lhcvJZV.jpg [/IMG]
[IMG] http://i.imgur.com/R8SIlnS.jpg [/IMG]
[IMG] http://i.imgur.com/di0Cxhk.jpg [/IMG]
[IMG] http://i.imgur.com/alLMU0f.jpg [/IMG]
[IMG] http://i.imgur.com/3VTp3wy.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG] http://i.imgur.com/J8NFAQC.jpg [/IMG]
[IMG] http://i.imgur.com/aEOAHdt.jpg [/IMG]

The generator is 4.5CKM KT17EP. Looked through old receipts, appears it wasn't producing any power back in 2013. At the point is be happy if it started at all.

This RV was very well documented by the original owner, who I'm assuming sold the vehicle or passed in 1992 since that's when the records stop. The guy recorded everything, down to the oil changes. And the fact the engine block was replaced. The records pick back up in 2013 when the guy I bought the RV from bought it. He used it for burning man, but recorded every thing. Oil changes and everything. The transmission was rebuilt not long ago too.

I found all the old manuals and receipts interesting to look at. Heck, I have the manual for some coffee maker that's no longer in the rv.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #2

A nice classic RV, looks like fun. As for your generator. With gasoline engines my quick test is to shoot some starting fluid down the carburetor throat and see if it'll fire up. If it starts and immediately stalls you have a carburetor or some other fuel system problem. If doesn't try to start on the prime you have an ignition problem. Once that's sorted out you at least know where to start. BTW if it starts but runs very poorly you may have a bad carburetor, or bad ignition (weak spark), or perhaps a weak cylinder (typically from a bad valve).

Steve

PS make sure the generator's topped off with oil. Many generators are equipped with kill switches that shut them down in the event of low oil.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #3

I have what looks to be the same generator. Check to see if you have 12 volts at the ignition coil after you check out the gas situation.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
nuget102,

Very nice, like these older rigs especially when they weren't left to rot outside. It's great that you got the Owner's Manual, they usually get lost with that age.

Take your time redoing it and then you can enjoy it. Lot's of info here for the remodel.

Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:35 PM   #5

I got the fuel sorted out, used some sea foam to soak it and now it works. Bad news is the solenoid went out. Which may or been a contributor to the fuel issue... ordering a new one shortly. I'll also check the oil again, I looked to see if it looked good and surprisingly it did. But didn't actually check the level.

I love the classic look of this RV, the shape and color scheme of RVs back in the day always fascinated me. Maybe I'm just a bit of a hipster lol. (I'm only 20 after all!)

Beamsil, it actually was left to rot before the previous owner bought it. He fixed some major roof leaks (you can see the past evidence in the interior pictures) but me and my fiancee plan to keep the retro exterior but do a more updated/more luxurious interior. She really wants to tile the countertop.

I'll be posting pictures here as we do modifications/upgrades. Wish us luck!
Old 07-29-2016, 01:15 AM   #6

Nice !
kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #7

Can you take the solenoid apart? If it's been sitting it may be just corrosion of the contacts inside the solenoid and sanding them may fix it. It doesn't cost anything to check it out, no reason to waste money if you don't have to.

Steve
Old 07-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Can you take the solenoid apart? If it's been sitting it may be just corrosion of the contacts inside the solenoid and sanding them may fix it. It doesn't cost anything to check it out, no reason to waste money if you don't have to.

Steve
From what I've been told you can't take a solenoid apart. There's no way to reassemble it after it's apart. That's what I was told anyway.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuget102 View Post
From what I've been told you can't take a solenoid apart. There's no way to reassemble it after it's apart. That's what I was told anyway.
You don't know until you try. If it's not working what have you got to lose? I'm very frugal (my late wife often used the ugly word "cheap") however, over 38 years of marriage I saved us a ton of money fixing things that were broken. Yes a lot of times it's not worth it, but many times it is. Plus it's good to know how to fix things in case you break down somewhere and have to rely on your own skills. For instance, if that new solenoid breaks (it happens). If you've taken the old one apart you'll have a better idea what's wrong with the new one. Knowledge is power.

Steve

PS all a solenoid is is a magnetic switch. Pretty simple really, either the electromagnetic part is not working or the switch contacts are corroded and/or burned. So if the electrical windings are shot, that might be a problem, they could probably be rewound but you'd need the proper wire etc. The switch part if it's making a bad contact due to corrosion simply sanding the contacts may be enough. If a contacts been burned off that'd be harder to fix and it's probably replacement time. Get a cheap multi-meter at Harbor Freight (your going to need one sooner or later anyhow) and check for an open circuit in the electromagnet part, or you could bench test it with a small homeowner12 volt battery charger. Just trying to keep your project from turning into a money pit!
Old 08-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuget102 View Post
I got the fuel sorted out, used some sea foam to soak it and now it works. Bad news is the solenoid went out. Which may or been a contributor to the fuel issue... ordering a new one shortly. I'll also check the oil again, I looked to see if it looked good and surprisingly it did. But didn't actually check the level.

I love the classic look of this RV, the shape and color scheme of RVs back in the day always fascinated me. Maybe I'm just a bit of a hipster lol. (I'm only 20 after all!)

Beamsil, it actually was left to rot before the previous owner bought it. He fixed some major roof leaks (you can see the past evidence in the interior pictures) but me and my fiancee plan to keep the retro exterior but do a more updated/more luxurious interior. She really wants to tile the countertop.

I'll be posting pictures here as we do modifications/upgrades. Wish us luck!
Sweet RV! I too love RV's and cars from the 70's. They had a ton of character and personality. Have fun restoring it!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #11

Well the solenoid was bad. But now whenever the ignition wire is connected to the solenoid engages. Which is probably why it went bad in the first place... My guess is a bad switch? But if anyone has a guess, let me know.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome too Vintage,
I love it, how long is it? We have a 82 and besides wax, tires ,tune up, fuel filters we have left her alone. My sides were pretty black from sitting under a tree I found a product at a big box store called Mold Amor it goes on the end of a garden hose . If it is fiberglass it will work wonderful. Can't wait to see the interior. Enjoy her,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Welcome too Vintage,
I love it, how long is it? We have a 82 and besides wax, tires ,tune up, fuel filters we have left her alone. My sides were pretty black from sitting under a tree I found a product at a big box store called Mold Amor it goes on the end of a garden hose . If it is fiberglass it will work wonderful. Can't wait to see the interior. Enjoy her,
Tim
It's a 29 foot. Plenty big enough for us. The tires on ours have plenty of life left, and the fuel filter was replaced not so long ago. There's some black residue around the trimming and such. Is that possibly mold? If so I'll try Mold Armor. And yes, she is fiberglass. I'll post the interior pics soon. She's seen better days, but a lot more livable than any other rv we seen for 2k.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #14

The sequence with your ignition switch is when you turn the key the ignition circuit is activated first and when you turn the key past that (with a spring built into the switch to push it back to ignition only) you activate the solenoid switch which then supplies power to the starter. It sounds as if someone's somehow wired the solenoid to the ignition circuit so that the solenoid stays on. BTW is the spring that's built into the ignition switch, which automatically drops it back to the ignition only circuit actually working? If it's not working you may have to manually turn the key back to the ignition circuit after it starts.

Steve