Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

Brake pads and rotors

Is there an easy way to find out what I need for rotors and pads on the rear of my '95 Dolphin? I just changed the tires and the serviceman said that the pads on my right rear wheel needed to be changed and since they were down to metal, I should change out the rotor as well. I am okay with that if I could find the parts. He had no idea about them as he was a tire guy.

So... anybody know a way to find out? It's an Oshkosh chassis class A diesel, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #2

This is one of those times you need to go to an RV Store/Service Center to get an idea of what's needed. Many times just a turning to reface the rotor is only needed when replacing the pads.

I don't think any automotive stores cater to anything RV related as to chassis parts and such.

If an automotive store advertises the turning of drums/rotors, you can have them turn your rotors for you. On the rotor there is a minimum that it can be turned and if you're within those guide lines your safe to use rotor again.

JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The SOP (standard operating procedure) when servicing rotors (that's all rotors on any type of vehicle braking system)is simply this. All rotors have a minimum thickness.. If when a rotor is machined it is thinner than the minimum then it needs to be replaced. Nobody and I mean nobody (unless it's obvious) can say that rotors should be replaced unless they first machined then are measured with a micrometer.

Find yourself a shop that knows what they are doing. Look for a shop that services the type of chassis under your MH. Don't go to a camping world or any RV service facility. You might get lucky and find a decent one but a garage that deals with your type of chassis is by far better.

If when they take your rotors off ask them to show you the measurements and or the condition of them. It's easy to just tell you that they need replaced so they can make more $$$$. A rotor may cost you $75 but machining may only cost you $20.

The reason that rotors have a minimum thickness is they act as an absorber of the heat generated when you stop. If they are to thin the heat builds up to much before the air can again cool them off. The extra heat causes glazing of the pads which ruins them.

If you have any further questions about the brakes just PM me.

TeJay.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #4

Happy Research! I can get the parts for my Chevy P30 Chassis at most auto part stores. I just did pads on the rear yesterday, $10 for the axle. The rotor that was chewed up is another matter.

So your first piece of information is Who made your chassis?
Old 03-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #5

I too, can get parts at most auto parts stores, but that don't help the poster.( 10 buck pads, no wonder the rotors are shot )

You need to find a truck parts store, NAPA comes to mind and tell them what you got. If you can identify the axle manufacturer, that may help.

If the pads are actually metal to metal, don't hold out to much hope, that the rotors can be cut.

Good luck
Old 03-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Although I haven't worked on an Oskosh chassis, I would imagine that to get the rear rotor off, you have to pull the axle and take the bearing nuts off to slide the whole assembly off the axle housing. Don't forget that you have to change the axle seal before putting the assembly back together. If you are not familiar with this process, I would suggest that you take it to someone that knows.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
There is also a good chance that the caliper is seized or the hose is collapsed , or the pins that hold it on, if only one side is shot there is something wrong
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I too, can get parts at most auto parts stores, but that don't help the poster.( 10 buck pads, no wonder the rotors are shot )
Good luck
Brake pad wore out because the caliper stopped sliding and the side that should have worn first didn't. The good pads are $20 an axle, but not until I replace the rotor.

I'd rather use soft pads and change them often than hard pads and wear away the rotor.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes brakes/slides & rotors need to be serviced in a timely fashion. Choose the CORRECT pad and the brakes will perform as designed and last 5 times longer than either to soft or to hard.

I'm not seeing it as often since I retired but i often hear friends say they have 60,70 or 80,000 miles on the pads and the brakes are still working just fine.

Machine the rotors every time, choose a good OEM pad , lube the slides, re-build the calipers sometime, always correctly burnish the pads when new and they will last a long , long time. Cut corners or skip procedures and you will get bitten in the behind.

TeJay

Tags
brake