Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Brakes on a tag axle

I am thinking ahead here because I know my 1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial is going to need the tag axle brakes serviced before going anywhere this spring or summer. I know the axles were made by Dexter. I know the brakes were made by Master Brake Co. (no longer in business). I have diagrams and service manuals on the Mor/Ryde tag axle. What I need to know is what size brakes are on it. I'm not to the point I can take the drums off and look for myself. Just wondering if someone might know what size shoes I need to order.

1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
I will be watching this one with a keen eye, I have the same plan!

fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
You might find this thread helpful
Hydraulic Tag Axle Brake Information

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Thanks Dave, I had already done a search for tax axle and had found that page. It is full of good info, however, it doesn't tell much about the actual brakes themselves. I guess, until I actually pull the drums and look at what I've got, I just won't worry about it. There is a good possibility that the shoes I presently have are still in good shape. I'm not sure about the rest of the system, though.
1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
You'll probably have to pull a wheel and remove the shoes and take to NAPA or some other good auto supplier. The Mor-Ryde tag on my '96 Bounder used F250 shoes, but I don't recall the year or size.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote