Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
All three of mine have the screen. Even with the vents screen, I like the vents hood screen as the needles and leaves can make there way to the fan blades, so I put mine as close to the bottom as I could get to keep that stuff off the fans. I running two fantastic vents and one of those bathroom jobs with the el-cheapo fans in it. The A?C has been moved and I wanted it the way we moved it. It will be closer to the passenger side but it will be able to cool better. Anyway how is Freebie doing????

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #16

Coming along nicely. I think.

first things first. here are the pics from last weeks update.

Now we are up to this past weekend. I got started by cutting the wholes in the luaun for the romex and the speaker wires. then ran them thru and screwed down the roof section.

Here is the total roof to this point.

Next it's back to tearing out the next section.

One the wife took of me getting the last part out.

here is the next roof section built and test fit in place.
my small frame for the grey water vent.

Here is the latest shot of the roof fully in place and anchored down.

Next up get what was left of the old roof removed.

Here is a shot thru to the shower from above

Now with this done. it's time to turn this puppy around and get worst part of the rig taken out. the back wall. first up we pulled it out and turned it around to make it easy to work on the rear.

Next carefully remove the back window tail lights and the tin. that's when I find this....

This is a slight water leak?!?!?!

well needless to say it all had to go......

I took this wall out with my bare hands. NO TOOLS WERE NEEDED! Oh and incase you were wondering this is what the wall looks like now...

Well I got a little bit of bracing done today. but mostly it was measuring for the new stuff to go in. I plan to add some framing to the rear behind the plywood. I also plan to add a couple of shelves to the cabinet under the sink, modifying the closet for more space by dropping the bottom down on top of the old Generator box, and stiffening up the framing of the shower and closet side walls. I hope to have this done this week and be ready to put in some insulation to get this thing buttoned up.

I hope to have another update soon! I will keep the camera near by to capture the progress.

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
That is great work and You found what the shop found in mine! Your roof looks somewhat like mine. I hadn't seen that much when I cleaned out the walls and the tub! Anyway you will have a great built home when done! Looking forward to the finish. Good luck, Dan
Old 09-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #18

as far as the walls go I was expecting worse. but I have been lucky. I was going to get some done today but it's raining and it really put a damper on it. it should be nice tomorrow and I can get back to it.

I will keep you posted

Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #19

Well the rain took it's toll on the rv. I had the rain seep thru the tarp that I covered the rv with so a lot is wet.

I have some fans is drying everything out. I hope to get it dry by Sunday so I can work on it again. I plan to have the back wall framed and start on the insulation and roof Monday or tuesday. I will keep you posted.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #20

Freebie, did you ever get dried out enough to start working again....I've been reading and enjoying seeing your progress.

Bill
Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #21

Bill,

Yeah I got it dried out. I put some fans in it and got it going luckily it wasn't as bad as I thought. It was dry in about 3 hours. and the best part no warpage!!!!!!

I went out and paid for some more parts for Tony stewart this weekend. I got about 500 bucks worth of materials. I got some of the insulation in and the closet done, the bottom of the back wall done and the shower wall is done. I hope to get back wall framed up this week and get thelast roof secion on so I can do a little wire repair and then the insulation and the top goes on!!! I can't wait. I will have pics of this weekends progress up soon. I have to up load them to my photo bucket gallery.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #22

well I will be back at it tomorrow and hope to get a lot done! I have most of the wiring repaired and moved now I have to get back to framing. This is the last part before I can put the roof back on. I can not wait to see that! I will report back soon!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #23

Hey kids!

Another week another bit of progress. Here's what we've been up to.

When last we left freebie............ it looked like this

This is where I began to rebuild what the water "f'ed up". I started with rebuilding the outer walls of the closet and the shower.

I then decided to change the lay out of the closet slightly by dropping the bottom shelf down to the top of the old generator box, and added another wall to box in the vent pipes and the medicine cabinet.

Next was adding in some framing to the bottom of the tub and the closet to give that 1/2" ply wood something to grab to and make it more sound and just using the 2 outer walls and those 3/4x3/4" interior walls.

I also modified the old vanity cabinet in the bathroom. it originally had a Hamper in it that didn't hold much of anything. so we opted to make the cabinet deeper and the hamper (top shelf) was converted in to toilet paper and chemical storage.

with that done and some new wiring for all the rear lighting, the plywood was added to the back wall.

Next up was the rest of the back end. I decided instead of building one huge wall piece, I would do 3 smaller pieces using the new wall and new outer walls as the main support with the topper of the plywood frame and the last roof frame as tie in's it would be stronger than original. with that being the case I started on the frame for the closet section. and got it mounted in to place.

Next up was the shower wall. I got the frame made and test fit in place.

Next up I got the lauan nailed on and permanently mounted the piece.

now to the last but most trying part of this whole rear build. the rear window panel. I temporarily mounted the tin back on to get a location measurement for the rear window then took it all back down to start construction. when it was all said and done this was what I test fit on to place.

when I was happy with the fit I pulled it out and skinned it. here is the final product.

I then got to make the final roof section. once that was all build and make the box for the new fan I put it up in place for a final test fit. The pics you see are right before I screwed it all down.

since we were running out of daylight and the wife got home from work we made a mad dash and got one final thing done.........

The insulation is on! that was all done in just under an hour with Keri, Myself, and our oldest boy Trace (10) working together. I hope we move this fast when we start putting on the roof insulation.

I have a few more wiring things to work out and then it's back to the roof to get it insulated and then the plywood installed so I can put the roof back on this puppy! I can't wait.

I know it's a lot of work but the sense of accomplishment and all the comments from those watching this build are worth it. (there is a little grocery store across the street from my parents house where I am building this and the regulars all gather there and watch us build. of course word has got around to the busy bodies and people drive by and when they see me they have to ask me about it. Gotta love small towns. it's funny.) that's about all I got done this week. I will be back at it soon and hope to have another up date for you next week.

have a good one and thanks for looking......

Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi freebie, That looks great!!! I think that three piece back is a good idea. Sure made it easier. I am getting on the road tomorrow! Next stop is Nebraska. Then Denver again and then home. We will be busy for sure when I get back there!! Glad you are having good luck with the weather there and I will check in later,
Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #25

yeah the weather has been fine. we have't seen any rain in an couple of weeks and then it was spotty. it did cool off A LOT the last couple of days now I have to really get this thing done before it get's too cold!

Have a safe trip home!!

Old 10-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #26

Looking good. Hope you can get it ready soon.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #27

Great looking work.Keep those pictures coming.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #28

Freebie, Great work and super pictures. Thank you, I just found this post, and it is like a novel I can't put down. Keep us all posted, your'e my kind of guy and lucky enough to have a wife like mine also! It takes a special woman to let us go after dreams like this. HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote