Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #71

Vintage RV Owners Club
That is outstanding!!! I like the way you did the trim in black!!! That flooring is what i used the first time! The second time i used real wood!! I can't wait till you Get'R'done!!!!!

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #72

We are thinking about getting a 1976 GMC midas. The only problem is.... we are going to have to gut it completely. The roof in the middle is sinking in and everything is covered in green moss. Is it worth rebuilding? Is it all wood under the paneling or is it wood and steel? If anyone knows these questions please let us know.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Heh, with that paint job on the inside and what you plan to do on the outside, I think we can properly name that rig the "Free-BEE" .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #74

JCM, yeah you are right the bee part is going to be pretty spot on. I can't wait to get to the out side paint. I was able to pick up a new floor mat (well used from the local pick a part yard) but it's in good shape just needed a good scrubbing. I will be putting that in with a set of racing seats I bought for my Ranger but were too wide. I think they will fit in the Freebie pretty well. time will tell.

Chris and Tiffany, If you have the want It can be done! the main thing I would look for is to make sure that the van body and frame are in good shape and not rusted out. If it runs good then the other stuff can be done easy all you need is the tools and take lots of measurements. Do you have any pics? If I can do this any one can. I am not a master carpenter, I am just a Gear head that wanted a camper and got lucky. If you guys pick up the midas, and have questions let me know. I will do what I can.

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #75

Chris & Tiffany

I have a '77 GMC Midas Mini. 2x2 wood frame, stapled together (on one side only). We rebuilt the rear section (roof was rotted away) and rebuilt part of the front cabover. We paid $2K and put less than $1K into it (still working on it). Read thru the "My Roof Repair" thread to get an idea as to what you are up against.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #76

How long have you been working on it?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #77

Thank you the was very nice of you. The body has very little rust. Nothing bondo can't do. Not sure if it runs, we're getting it for free believe it or not. I do have pictures but I just havn't had the time to upload them. Remind me to do that and I'll email them to you. It needs alot of work...alot. Thanks for your input again! I'm sure by the end we'll be crazy!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #78

I can believe the free part as that's how I got mine.(hence the name Freebie)

well get your pics up loaded and start a thread. I would be interested to see your build as well.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #79

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chrisandtiffany:
How long have you been working on it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are doing a few "upgrades" right now. Originally... we got the RV in April 2006 and ripped it apart, did a "down-&-dirty" remodel in which we prioritized what needed to be done and did that first. We had to move into the RV ASAP. We moved down to S GA from SW NC in November 2006. I "finished" up the interior (paint etc) while living in a state park. I still have the original plywood subfloor with the cherry flooring sitting up on the deck of the cabin (my daughter is living in the cabin). I am working on painting the exterior... a side at a time. We need to upgrade our holding tanks and rework some of the plumbing before we install the cherry flooring. The rear end framing needs to be beefed up to support the addional holding tanks plus tow a cargo trailer (which we may or may not sell). All work needs to be finished before we head out to NM. Planned time to leave... Jan 2009. And we will never be "done". Until we convert the furniture truck we have to buy in order to move out to NM. We will convert the truck into an RV. The current Class C will be given to my daughter (already claimed it). We feel the CLass C will not meet our needs once we move out to NM as our requirements will change slightly.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #80

I have been over one Woodalls and your link was posted over there. Have you finished your project. Great job you have done would like to see the final pics. Don't know where to go see them.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #81

Also very interested in seeing some happy ending photos of your remarkable renovation project. Especially curious about how the cab floor and seats turned out? How Freebie lights up? Apparently like a traveling Christmas tree? How the outside looks? Yellow?

Understand that Dodge minivans front seats have the same bolt patterns as our dinosaur Dodge based motorhomes.

Hoping your family is having as much fun with yours as we do with ours.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #82

Great job...turned out really well.
Here is how I did mine

1985 Shasta toyhauler
Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 AM   #83

Thanks guys.

Yeah I know I know long time no hear. I have been really busy with work. I have gotten a few things done but had to put it away again for the winter. I will be ready to paint it and ready to get the drive train ready to travel and have it out for fun in 09! I cant' wait. I will get som pics up soon.

Thanks for looking and the support..

Old 12-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #84

Hello,
I just joined this forum today.Glad to have found it ! I too have aquired a "project".I've been looking for a Motorhome with a good drivetrain,with any condition interior.Boy did I get one !!!My 1983 27' tiffin allegro was lived in down in Tennesee by I don't know how many people etc.!I drove it home from nashville a few days ago with no heater...Runs like a scalded dog,but couldn't wait to get my tools moving on the inside. Long story short,I started ripping up the original???shag??? carpeting today and will be going over all the wiring etc.Being used more as a trailer than a motorhome,they drilled and pulled wires everywhere.I've worked in all the trades over the years so I'm good to go experience wise.Hope to hear more about your project when you have a chance.