Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
BYCOOL Swamp Cooler Info

Have recently found and purchased a Bycool Evaporative Cooler from a bait shop at Heron Lake, NM. I tried to find some info on this unit. All I can find thus far is that it was made in Colorado from the mid seventies to mid eighties. Would love to talk to someone who owns/owned one. Everything on this one seems to work and is in good shape. There is a reversible fan, and can use just the fan or have the cooler on with the fan. I've not hooked up water yet, but will in the next few days to see if that end works or not (float/shut-off). If anyone has a manual or documentation for this, I'd love to see a copy. Thanks to all in advance for any responses.

Here is a link with a brief history of the cooler....
Bycool Cooler - Walker Manufacturing

I have the model that is shown mounted on top of the tractor cab.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40 PKD
2005 R1200RT (hers) 1987 R80 (his), 1975 R75/6 (his), 1986 R65 (hers)
NMBeemercouple is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
I had one from the 70's on a 1965 Ford Econoline a few hundred years ago.
It worked well in dry climates like Arizona. California was too wet for the most part so it didn't work so well there.

It's an evaporative cooler, has a pad that's designed to be rotated through a pan of water over which outside air blown over it. The theory being the air is cooled when it passes through the water. It works but not like an A/C where the air is recirculated and cooled.

The ByCool woks best when it can exchange the air in your vehicle. A window must be opened so the cooled air can be exhausted and replaced with more cool air.

I don't have a manual because there's not much to know after you understand evaporative cooling. I think you probably have a fan control and a speed control for how fast the pad travels through the water pan.

If you get water splashed inside the vehicle the float is too high or you have entered a high humidity area where the ByCool starts making water.

I didn't like mine because I didn't like having a window open to exhaust the air. The Econoline had a Ford 302 cubic inch engine in the dog house and didn't have room for any kind of hang on A/C compressor.

They work when it's dry air, not so well in wet air.

sundancer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a similar unit back in the 90's. Same as sundancer87, it had a drum covered with rubberized horsehair that slowly rotated in a pan of water to keep the media wet. Air passed through the drum into the vehicle. The mechanism is simple enough one shouldn't need a manual.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote