RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #1

Question Camera set up???

Hello all, My son bought a 4 way split screen backup camera system w/ 4 camera's for me and wife for a gift. I was just curious if anyone has put in one of these system? Should I mount one on either side in the front nose facing back and both camera's at the back one up high on the roof and one low to watch what I am towing? or one in front and one in back?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wouldn't put any cameras on the nose to look back. You have mirrors that do that. As for watching what you tow where's it going to go but follow?

Old 07-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
Hello all, My son bought a 4 way split screen backup camera system w/ 4 camera's for me and wife for a gift. I was just curious if anyone has put in one of these system? Should I mount one on either side in the front nose facing back and both camera's at the back one up high on the roof and one low to watch what I am towing? or one in front and one in back?
I'm putting one on the back, just above the hitch ball for hook ups. Im thinking about another one in my class a nose/side on the passenger side to see if i'm close to cars, trees when backing up. Another thought for me is to see when the gas cap is lined up with the pump. Lot's of other ideas, if you've got 'em, use 'em!
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do some research on YouTube about installs and it might give you some more info.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #5

I was thinking of putting the side camera's in the location in photo what do you think??? I figured there would be a good place so if I missed something in my blind spot..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side rear camera.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	211705   Click image for larger version

Name:	side rear camera 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	211706  

Old 07-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #6

Better to put them up high and angled down slightly . That's how most newer buses mount them.
GLG_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:09 AM   #7

Well I tried to put them up i as high as I could and angling them down while I connected to the monitor. But I felt right where I have them in the photo was the best for viewing so the two front side's have been mounted as seen in the photo's. Now I have the back temperately mounted but not liking the view has anyone ever put two camera's on the back? I am thinking of facing one down looking at the bumper and mounting one above the other camera facing further back what do you think??
Old 07-23-2018, 07:18 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If I had an extra camera that didn't have a home I'd mount it so I could see what's RIGHT in front of me, at bumper height.
Many times maneuvering in to or out of a camp site there has been a post or a boulder or something along those lines that I completely loose when I'm still several feet from it, but I need to get very close to it to make the turn. Having a camera showing me the front bumper would be great at times like that. I really don't like doing that by 'feel'.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #9

I can see your point about up front I was also thinking of that mounting it up high and facing down to the bumper. I wounder if I could buy an other camera with a wider viewing angle for the back, that way I can see further back and bumper area better.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
If I had an extra camera that didn't have a home I'd mount it so I could see what's RIGHT in front of me, at bumper height.
Many times maneuvering in to or out of a camp site there has been a post or a boulder or something along those lines that I completely loose when I'm still several feet from it, but I need to get very close to it to make the turn. Having a camera showing me the front bumper would be great at times like that. I really don't like doing that by 'feel'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
I can see your point about up front I was also thinking of that mounting it up high and facing down to the bumper. I wounder if I could buy an other camera with a wider viewing angle for the back, that way I can see further back and bumper area better.
well i got all the camera's mounted just have to pull the cable along the frame from the rear to the front and hook up monitor. Here are a few photo's of the mount's The rear one I was able to mount under the awning and front one on the grill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear camera.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	212112   Click image for larger version

Name:	front camera.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	212113  

Name:	front camera 2.jpg